Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Our only real weakness in trying to build a top basketball program..

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:
    The fans are not the reason. Hard to watch the same uninspiring product that is given to us each year.

Why is UGA not a beacon for top coaches ?
    That is my point, in my opinion it has a lot to do with the perception that basketball is an afterthought for the fan base.
    I'm thinking about what a top coach with confidence in his ability sees when evaluating our potential.

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Silver_Britches said:
    I'd say we also have nice facilities. I wouldn't say we don't have a great fan base, if we win, they will come. Typically how it is anywhere. We've **** for too long, naturally some fans will get bored of it. We need us a young, high-energy coach like Kirby. Someone who can not only coach, but get kids excited to come play for Georgia. We'll be there to watch. Pretty simple, ain't it? :p

It's yet to be determined IF we can develop the level of fan participation for men's basketball as top programs enjoy.

The ability to develop that area is needed, Bruce Pearl is an example of a HC more suited to firing up a fan base than Fox was.
    I do agree that build it and they will come would work to some extent, how much though ?

First there is the chicken vs the egg question, then there is the ceiling question. How many fans would consistently come to Stegeman on a Tuesday night if we had an exciting and winning team ?

I think students would come if the team were winning....that's the group most likely to be out and about on a Tuesday night.

Exactly, and it's not very hard to fill up 10,500 seats with the amount of students. You've got to start winning first to give fans a team worth watching. Hard to fill up seats when you're constantly towards the bottom of the league, and lose a lot more SEC games than win.

Students stay away from UGA basketball games in droves, can that culture be changed ?

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Silver_Britches said:
    I'd say we also have nice facilities. I wouldn't say we don't have a great fan base, if we win, they will come. Typically how it is anywhere. We've **** for too long, naturally some fans will get bored of it. We need us a young, high-energy coach like Kirby. Someone who can not only coach, but get kids excited to come play for Georgia. We'll be there to watch. Pretty simple, ain't it? :p

It's yet to be determined IF we can develop the level of fan participation for men's basketball as top programs enjoy.

The ability to develop that area is needed, Bruce Pearl is an example of a HC more suited to firing up a fan base than Fox was.
    I do agree that build it and they will come would work to some extent, how much though ?

First there is the chicken vs the egg question, then there is the ceiling question. How many fans would consistently come to Stegeman on a Tuesday night if we had an exciting and winning team ?

I think students would come if the team were winning....that's the group most likely to be out and about on a Tuesday night.

Exactly, and it's not very hard to fill up 10,500 seats with the amount of students. You've got to start winning first to give fans a team worth watching. Hard to fill up seats when you're constantly towards the bottom of the league, and lose a lot more SEC games than win.

Students stay away from UGA basketball games in droves, can that culture be changed ?

As the old saying goes, winning cures everything. Along with field a decently productive offensive team, where it's at least somewhat entertaining to casual fans.

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The Steg holds 10,523. Last season (2017), UGA drew 129,939 fans over 18 games, for an average attendance of 7,218.

Obviously, we can do better. However, a big part of the less-than-capacity attendance was a result of the "product" on the court. I don't know if it's fair to say fans and students "stayed away in droves." Several games were well attended, including by students, and some (like LSU) were sell-outs.

Of course, getting UGA fans from Atlanta, etc., to drive over for a 6:30 weekday game is always a challenge. Weekend games tend to draw better, as do later weekday games.

Nevertheless, if we can develop a consistent winning program with a style of basketball that's fun to watch, I believe the Dawg fans will come and "pack the Steg."

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@JRT812 said:
    The fans are not the reason. Hard to watch the same uninspiring product that is given to us each year.

Why is UGA not a beacon for top coaches ?
    That is my point, in my opinion it has a lot to do with the perception that basketball is an afterthought for the fan base.
    I'm thinking about what a top coach with confidence in his ability sees when evaluating our potential.

It’s not a beacon because UGA basketball has always been behind. I agree we are a football school, but there are plenty of examples of schools making both sports a priority. Just my opinion, but it feels like the basketball program has never had the support it needed to recruit the hot bed of Georgia or even exceed needs.

Because of that, it has resulted in poor recruiting, crappy play, and people being tired of the same thing. I say a young guy who knows Georgia that can get recruited sorted out should be the ticket. Everything else will fall into place.

I feel like we have someone already on the team that is worth the low risk gamble.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I will have to agree that the administration's/AD's focus and investment in the basketball program has been inconsistent at best over the years. Until several years ago there were literally cow pens attached to the back side of Stegman. Not something I'm thinking you'd put on the tour for potential recruits.

2016 season average attendance at home.
    Duke - 9,300
    UCLA - 8,000
    ND - 8,500
    UF - 9,600
    Xavier - 10,200
    Oklahoma - 10,000
    W.V. - 10,500

Outside the box, but if UGA had a top notch coach, could there be neutral site games scheduled in various GA cities with 'coming teams' from other conferences, like the ACC, B1G and others? Links to Savannah, Columbus, and Macon are below. Could get in on the ground floor with Savannah's. A Nawthen team might want a mid winter sojourn to the deep South. I'm assuming that mid-winter schedules have a few non-conference days possible. Of course other times might be possible.

https://www.savannahga.gov/1673/Arena-Canal-District
    http://www.columbusciviccenter.org/arena/
    http://www.maconcentreplex.org/

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well my question is, why does Georgia basketball have the longest drought in the SEC without a tournament win? 2002 was your last tournament win (which was apparently vacated) making 1996 the last season you were relevant? Come on now!? Just look at South Carolina, Tennessee, and Florida's success in basketball the past decade. Teams who aren't historically on Kentucky's level. Look at what Auburn and Alabama have done in basketball this year who are supposed to be FOOTBALL ONLY caring schools more than we are. I don't want to hear the BS excuses.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mqg96 said:
    Well my question is, why does Georgia basketball have the longest drought in the SEC without a tournament win? 2002 was your last tournament win (which was apparently vacated) making 1996 the last season you were relevant? Come on now!? Just look at South Carolina, Tennessee, and Florida's success in basketball the past decade. Teams who aren't historically on Kentucky's level. Look at what Auburn and Alabama have done in basketball this year who are supposed to be FOOTBALL ONLY caring schools more than we are. I don't want to hear the BS excuses.

Alabama and Auburn have started taking basketball more seriously, such as hiring good coaches. Therefore, they are seeing more success. That’s why Georgia is trying to get the best available coach.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Crean it is, time to back him

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A great coach can solve a lot of issues. The fans will come. A great coach will see what we see, but it will take $3.2m+ a year and the backing of our AD. I’d be thrilled if, this time next year, I’m watching the Dawgs on TV instead of Davidson or San Diego State.

• PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 2018

Trust me, if we put a good team on the court and win some games the fans will fill Steg to the rafters. Look in the recent past when the "Tub" was rocking and rolling.
    We will ALWAYS be a football school but we have one of the most fertile states for athletes of all kinds in the nation. What, maybe 4th or 5th? I'll take that any day. All it takes is the right coach and some good recruiting and we're off and running. Then the fans come, revenue is produced, facilities get better, and so forth. I hope the new coach can get it going

edited March 2018

@BullyDawg said:
    The Steg holds 10,523. Last season (2017), UGA drew 129,939 fans over 18 games, for an average attendance of 7,218.

Obviously, we can do better. However, a big part of the less-than-capacity attendance was a result of the "product" on the court. I don't know if it's fair to say fans and students "stayed away in droves." Several games were well attended, including by students, and some (like LSU) were sell-outs.

Of course, getting UGA fans from Atlanta, etc., to drive over for a 6:30 weekday game is always a challenge. Weekend games tend to draw better, as do later weekday games.

Nevertheless, if we can develop a consistent winning program with a style of basketball that's fun to watch, I believe the Dawg fans will come and "pack the Steg."

No doubt it's tougher for non-local fans to get to work day games, and most Georgia fans live out of town.
    While The Atl. Metro area is anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours from Athens when traffic is moving, it's a big commitment to leave work, make it to a night game, drive home and be at work the next morning.
    Still, our students aren't really known for their basketball enthusiasm.

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Have to convince the admin folks who "tolerate" the large influx of non alum... same folks who would prefer a reputation that espouses more higher edu and less rabid college fanbases of winning teams who's identity is mostly defined by sports. There was a reason mark r was getting destroyed in the facilities arms race...it sure wasn't cause fb wasn't making the $....If you can show the ROI like kirby has done...then those folks see $ turning into Rhodes schollys....its risk vs reward ...is the university willing to do what it takes to facilitate winning in bball.....I realize thats a relative statement...but the "tolerators" tend to look the other way when kirbys wins are more than paying for the investment and injecting tons of capital into the local community and UGA.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Silver_Britches said:

Just look at the hawks a couple of years ago. There is your example.

That is ALL the city (and most of the state) was talking about. Games were PACKED and ppl like me that can’t stand pro basketball were going to games.
    Right now... not so much

@bmauldin said:

@WCDawg said:

@Silver_Britches said:

Just look at the hawks a couple of years ago. There is your example.

That is ALL the city (and most of the state) was talking about. Games were PACKED and ppl like me that can’t stand pro basketball were going to games.
    Right now... not so much

The Hawks play in the middle of the fan base's population zone, Athens' geographical position is an unalterable element, it's on the eastern edge of our base and the town itself ( other than students) won't supply a high percentage of fans in the seats.
    There is an element of optics, Duke packs a small arena with very loud students who make a lot of noise and dress so the cameras focus on them, it LOOKS big and energetic.
    If we can consistently draw 10.000 and work on the theatrics, we might change the whole image from the half empty, low energy experience home games have too often displayed.