Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

IMG Academy and Montverde Academy

TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why hasn't one or more of the metro Atlanta private schools set up the similar programs in Georgia for football and basketball? Is it illegal in GA to give out high school scholarships? If not, You would think they would be all over having that type of system. They would have a player pipeline to the Pro's who would no doubt support their schools as an Alumni.

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good questions, I know historically recruiting for hs teams has been a no no in Georgia. Many have skirted the issue, Buford has mastered the craft of moving players into the area, Valdosta was doing it 70 years ago.
    As far as openly running a football factory like IMG, that is an intriguing idea.
    Personally I don't want to see our high school football system wrecked with an all star team, but it's interesting none the less.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TDawg said:
    Why hasn't one or more of the metro Atlanta private schools set up the similar programs in Georgia for football and basketball? Is it illegal in GA to give out high school scholarships? If not, You would think they would be all over having that type of system. They would have a player pipeline to the Pro's who would no doubt support their schools as an Alumni.

@TDawg said:

For that to happen, a lot of $$$$$ would be needed, more than most private schools can afford, I think. IMG is a major corporation and has tons of $ to spend. I saw their track team compete this weekend and they weren't all that talented but some of them were still on scholy.

TONS of private schools in FL recruit. I asked several coaches if they have a similar philosophy as GA at the state level - multiplying enrollment by some factor - like 1.5 - and they all looked at me like I was nuts. So, I guess FL just allows the recruiting to go on with a nod and a week. IMG, however, can't hide their recruiting at all so they don't get to compete for state titles and have to go to great lengths to get a football schedule. Most teams don't want to deal with them.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@TDawg said:

@TDawg said:

For that to happen, a lot of $$$$$ would be needed, more than most private schools can afford, I think. IMG is a major corporation and has tons of $ to spend. I saw their track team compete this weekend and they weren't all that talented but some of them were still on scholy.

TONS of private schools in FL recruit. I asked several coaches if they have a similar philosophy as GA at the state level - multiplying enrollment by some factor - like 1.5 - and they all looked at me like I was nuts. So, I guess FL just allows the recruiting to go on with a nod and a week. IMG, however, can't hide their recruiting at all so they don't get to compete for state titles and have to go to great lengths to get a football schedule. Most teams don't want to deal with them.

I always thought top tier private schools brought in major money compared to public. Growing up, private schools in my area had a tuition fee that rivaled some colleges.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m going to say GA private school already do this. Especially with senior who don’t want to take the graduate test in high school. Example is Caleb King of this. They already recruit if you go look at some of the rosters you can see it. Then you have city schools who have mastered recruiting like Valdosta, Jefferson, and Buford.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@donm said:

@TDawg said:

@TDawg said:

I always thought top tier private schools brought in major money compared to public. Growing up, private schools in my area had a tuition fee that rivaled some colleges.

Elite private schools like Pace also get big donations from alumni. A few public schools in rich districts get big support from alumni and parents, but it's more common with private schools. Some public school in the northern burbs built a state of the art meal facility 10 or so years back that put me in mind of Google's campus.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@TDawg said:

@TDawg said:

Surprisingly enough, the multiplier wasn’t for sports reasons.
    Rumor has it that When the long time ga speaker of the house (Tom Murphy) had a daughter that taught public school, they would get CRUSHED by private schools in literary.
    They implemented the multiplier to help them.... in literary competitions...

• Options
    VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dbrown7494 said:
    I’m going to say GA private school already do this. Especially with senior who don’t want to take the graduate test in high school. Example is Caleb King of this. They already recruit if you go look at some of the rosters you can see it. Then you have city schools who have mastered recruiting like Valdosta, Jefferson, and Buford.

What a blast from the past! I forgot about ole Caleb king.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not to dispute what anyone has said, but I think IMG is BIG money. No donations needed. They just pump $ into the academy. The last 2 state track meets have been held there and the changes at the school from year one to year two were incredible. They had a FB stadium with a track around it and are building a football stadium without a track. The dorms (where we got to stay for next to nothing) are ultra modern and there were other building projects going on that I didn't even know what they were for. Parents can come and live there with their kids if they want to, although many kids live on their own, just as if they were off at college. I think the adjustment of these IMG kids to college life would be relatively smooth. It's quite a place. Not sure I like the concept all that much, though.

• Options
    BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@TDawg said:

Intriguing idea...who knows the rules for sure. I heard just the other day about what the tuition would be next year, as opposed to this year, for out of district students. It would seem that if they can take kid that way then they should be allowed to give a scholarship for academics or sports. Unless it is just an athletic association rule.

• Options
    BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@bmauldin said:

@donm said:

@TDawg said:

@TDawg said:

Surprisingly enough, the multiplier wasn’t for sports reasons.
    Rumor has it that When the long time ga speaker of the house (Tom Murphy) had a daughter that taught public school, they would get CRUSHED by private schools in literary.
    They implemented the multiplier to help them.... in literary competitions...

Sounds like Tom is still screwing us from beyond the grave.

• Options
    Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope these types of “schools” never make their way to Georgia.

We already have enough places posing as high schools in football and basketball as it is

• Options
    ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is more money in becoming a top school in terms of academics.

A CEO doesn’t send his kid to a school so he can be part of the best football program.

Money comes from wealthy benefactors, not sports.

I do think it’s possible, especially in Georgia, for an investment firm to create an IMG clone.

Remember IMG’s purpose. It is owned by William Morris talent agency. They are looking to profit from these kids.

• Options
    Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/06/18/Facilities/IMG-Academy.aspx

It's a little out of date, but looks like between IMG being a massive company, and the state giving out money, IMG has built a business in terms of a school. I do not see any school in GA having that kind of capital to mimic IMG. Also, not sure what the draw would be.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The QB1 series realty series also has another example of one of those BIG MONEY ultra-talented TRAVELING (by chartered JET!) high schools in Las Vegas, NV. The school I remember was Bishop Gorman High School. The QB there was a kid named Tate Martell (now at Ohio State) I was kind of surprised (but then again, I was NOT surprised) when I watched the video from Season # 1 - it is the same series season of the High School Senior Year of Jake Fromm while he was at Houston County in Warner Robbins.