Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

American Alliance of Football...

pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone think this new pro football league will succeed?

https://aaf.com/

I know Spurrier is signed up to be a coach. That's about all I know so far aside from their website. Might have a chance if they don't try to make it a fiasco like the XFL. If the product is half-way decent I can see fans supporting it like a minor league team. They are absolutely correct that once football season is over, it is the dark ages for me. I have no interest in baseball, basketball or hockey.

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

I know Spurrier is signed up to be a coach. That's about all I know so far aside from their website. Might have a chance if they don't try to make it a fiasco like the XFL. If the product is half-way decent I can see fans supporting it like a minor league team. They are absolutely correct that once football season is over, it is the dark ages for me. I have no interest in baseball, basketball or hockey.

Definition of success?

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

Definition of success?

Will it survive more than a couple of seasons like the USFL and the XFL?

@pgjackson said:

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

Definition of success?

Will it survive more than a couple of seasons like the USFL and the XFL?

Good ? If they prove to be a good feeder system for the NFL they could. If they develop some HS kids? Maybe.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

They ought to offer to take players before three years out of high school. I think if they can do that, along with not trying to compete with the NFL, they should succeed

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    They ought to offer to take players before three years out of high school. I think if they can do that, along with not trying to compete with the NFL, they should succeed

Posted a similar thought on another thread. However, i suggested they go after HS kids and then allow them to leave after 3 years for the NFL.

@BamaDawg said:

@Kasey said:

Posted a similar thought on another thread. However, i suggested they go after HS kids and then allow them to leave after 3 years for the NFL.

Might also be a good place for former NFL players with a little tread left on the tires...just not enough to make an NFL roster.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is a danger of too much saturation with football. NFL, Arena League, college, and high school already. The XFL and USFL found that out, and people don’t want sub-par teams. The TV revenue just won’t be there to make this a serious league. Spurrier is too old, btw. He’s being brought in for his name and to lend credibility, but I can’t see him putting in the time.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2018

@greshamdisco said:
    There is a danger of too much saturation with football. NFL, Arena League, college, and high school already. The XFL and USFL found that out, and people don’t want sub-par teams. The TV revenue just won’t be there to make this a serious league. Spurrier is too old, btw. He’s being brought in for his name and to lend credibility, but I can’t see him putting in the time.

I agree with the sub-par part. It needs to be better than college football. If it's only equal, as far as talent, it will not survive. We are more tied to our college teams due to education, family, and/or location. A random team that's brand new that just popped up down the road better be fairly good if you want to keep my attention and continue to follow the league/team for years to come.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@greshamdisco said:

I agree with the sub-par part. It needs to be better than college football. If it's only equal, as far as talent, it will not survive. We are more tied to our college teams due to education, family, and/or location. A random team that's brand new that just popped up down the road better be fairly good if you want to keep my attention and continue to follow the league/team for years to come.

I prefer college/SEC football over the NFL any day. I don’t see it working out to the level they hope it will. Nobody cares about farm leagues if that is their intention.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@greshamdisco said:

I think if it’s in the off-season, and their expectations are low, it will survive. USFL crashes when they moved from spring/summer to fall and competed with the NFL. XFL was too gimmick-y and they spent money poorly. I’m guessing they’ve noticed the mistakes and will adjust accordingly

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

The LFL will probably outlast it...........

• shhmittyshhmitty Posts: 284 ✭✭✭ Junior

The biggest thing I like is their season begins the week after the Super Bowl and runs until April 20th. I do not watch basketball, golf, or much baseball...spring football is the answer for me.

@shhmitty said:
    The biggest thing I like is their season begins the week after the Super Bowl and runs until April 20th. I do not watch basketball, golf, or much baseball...spring football is the answer for me.

Good point. I don’t think they are trying to rival the NFL or college football...their target audience is guys like us who don’t watch other sports. I’d watch pretty much anything over baseball and basketball. I’d seriously rather watch Antiques Roadshow over any basketball game.

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

Most competition will come from the arena football league (late spring). Success will not likely be affected by college or NFL and interest in baseball continues to drop. The undrafted and those cut from NFL rosters will surely take interest. Where's the financial backing coming from?

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@shhmitty said:

Good point. I don’t think they are trying to rival the NFL or college football...their target audience is guys like us who don’t watch other sports. I’d watch pretty much anything over baseball and basketball. I’d seriously rather watch Antiques Roadshow over any basketball game.

Yeah y’all made my point before I could. I can’t wait to have a spring football season! I’m really hoping they get a lot of guys who migrate over from NFL practice squads who might make a little money, or get more TV time, in the alliance. I bet there are several DGDs that for whatever reason can’t quite crack a NFL roster but who I would love to watch play football.

I also read that teams are limited to 50 players each. Could lead to some interesting Iron Man players. Should also keep the team budget down as well.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spurrier has already invited Tebow to come and play for his team. You think that'll put some butts in the seats?

@pgjackson said:
    I also read that teams are limited to 50 players each. Could lead to some interesting Iron Man players. Should also keep the team budget down as well.

remember the good old days - one platoon football. Players pretty much went both ways - FB's were LB as were some guards, OT were DL, WR were CB and safety, etc. QB also played some defense. Talk about cost cutting...made the really big guys get in shape since they had to do a lot of running on both sides of the ball.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The USFL failed when they moved their games to the fall, trying to compete directly with the NFL. Trump was a USFL owner then and had a big part in talking the other owners into that failed move. They were actually cutting a profit before making that move.

I never looked into why the XFL failed.

If these AAF guys are smart, they’ll find a way to market a story behind the league. Get us personally invested in these guys as people, not just football players. I think that’s why I can be an avid fan of college football, but barely care about the NFL. It’s just more exciting to watch kids try to make something of themselves than it is to watch men go into work every day.

A lot of you, that wouldn’t matter so much to. You just love watching the game of football so much, it doesn’t matter who the guys are playing. You just want to see how well they play. But there are guys like me to, who need some kind of story behind the game to really get into it.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

I never looked into why the XFL failed.

I honestly think there just wasn't that much interest. I watched a couple of games, and the product was inferior, along with a cartoonish atmosphere.....like the guy who had 'He Hate Me' on the back of his jersey where the name was supposed to be.