Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

A possible answer or the beginning of the end....

Comments

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 26

@donniem I believe you're correct that t.v. money "covers" the other sports. The old model was the annual payment from the SEC to each SEC member school. In 2023 it was around $50 million. And so far as I know, this agreement doesn't change that.

With this new program, the 20 million is in addition to and doesn't replace the annual SEC payment. The 20 million is earmarked to pay players directly.

And I definitely agree that tv viewership would be a fair basis for determining who gets paid.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My take is college athletes are now professional athletes that represent the college to which they are currently affiliated. They get paid according to their perceived worth and are free to switch employers (colleges) within certain guidelines. This is good for them and is consistent with free enterprise. An unfortunate consequence is the demise of the student/athlete and their loyalty to a particular school. Extreme example: JT Daniels. Which school does he claim? USC, UGA, WV or SMU? Or all of them? Oh well, progress I guess. GO DAWGS

• BumBum Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Collectives are another word for central planning. They aren’t necessary since players can make money from the school and deals with businesses. Players should sign deals with the team they play for and businesses directly.

• crazygto715crazygto715 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think college football has to adopt the nfl model at this point. Form the 40 team super league. Players are employees who collectively bargain and get paid salaries and sign contracts. Probably need to have a salary cap. Revenue is split evenly among the players, universities, with some small percentage going to the regulating body to be able to manage it all.

I think that’s the only way to eliminate bag men and all that garbage. No more “recruiting”. Basically a hs draft.

Probably terms and conditions of the contract are academic attendance. Ie if you don’t go to school you could be fired/disciplined. But perhaps they can design “football majors” geared towards teaching kids about coaching strategy etc.

Don’t tell me we care about academic integrity when you can major in basket weaving and all that nonsense

• crazygto715crazygto715 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

per Kirby id propose 2yr contracts with a 3rd year option or something like that. I think nil has already shown us how a players market value is set. Pay them accordingly and fit it in the cap

• WtkWtk Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

there are going to be lawsuits regardless. Schools probably will regret getting in volved

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. HS draft. But imagine some blue-chip kid from Georgia, born and bred red and black, is then forced to go to Tenn or fla because they drafted him. But a draft really is the only way to ensure fairness and end the insane arms race going on.

• donniemdonniem Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The old school NBA had an option where teams could get territorial draft rights. UGA could benefit from that.

No, it will never happen….but its the only thing that would stop the insane spending going on. Salary caps would just bring back the bag-men. A draft would make it impossible to out-spend other programs.

• donniemdonniem Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BumBum Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No tree grows to the sky though. The money flowing through education might not always be there like it is today.
    As an example….having young kids right now, I’m exposed to the growing number of families opting out of traditional govt education. It truly is a crazy number of families in my county. And we are in Florida with “good” public schools.

True, but where is the limit? Just a couple of years ago the idea of a college player making a million dollars was absurd. Now, we have a kid suing fla over an alleged $13M deal that fell through. Coaches are openly stating that a top QB costs multi-millions of dollars. Recruiting success is directly attributable to money spent. Having great coaches, a great culture, championship pedigree mean nothing now. A kid is just as likely to go to Wake Forrest or Indiana or Rice if the money is there.

Nebraska hasn't had a winning season since 2016….and they just nabbed our top QB. $$$. There's a seemingly endless supply of money at the top programs, and each is trying to outspend the others in collectives, facilities, stadium upgrades, and NIL opportunities. OSU is trying to pull a "TAMU" right now and will likely end up with the #1 class in 2024.

Where does it stop?

And how do you tell a kid making $2M a year in NIL that he needs to study for his History test? The schools are investing millions in these players….you think they are going to let silly term papers get in the way? I suspect academic fraud is going to skyrocket to the point that ultimately the players will not have to be actual students. They will merely be employees of the school, just like the professors. Either that or someone develops sports degrees….BA in Football, or Basketball, or Baseball. Then the players can get credit for all the film study, practices, and games. And why not? They spend way more time studying their sport than I ever did in my degree program and there is a direct career path for these guys.