Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

American Alliance of Football...

2»

Comments

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

I never looked into why the XFL failed.

I honestly think there just wasn't that much interest. I watched a couple of games, and the product was inferior, along with a cartoonish atmosphere.....like the guy who had 'He Hate Me' on the back of his jersey where the name was supposed to be.

They tried too hard to be "extreme". They did pioneer the sky cam...so it wasn't all bad. But overall, like you said, it was very cartoonish. Too much WWE and not enough X's and O's.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Rod Smart aka “He Hate Me” is the only player I remember from the XFL. The guy was pretty good and went on to play in the NFL for a few years.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@orlando said:
    Rod Smart aka “He Hate Me” is the only player I remember from the XFL. The guy was pretty good and went on to play in the NFL for a few years.

I think if you asked anyone if they remember a single player from the XFL, this is the guy they'll name. He's also the only one I remember.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Tommy Maddox won a championship and parlayed it into the Steelers starting QB job for a few years. I always forget that part

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is the only time someone’s been successful creating a second, alternative league for professional sports the ABA? I think it was called the ABA. it was a basketball league that was eventually absorbed into the NBA.

Kind of seems like the exception that proves the rule though. Since they didn’t really survive but were absorbed by the dominant league. It’s just that at least they died with a happy ending.

I vaguely remember that the ABA had basketballs that weren’t all one color. So when the ball was shot, the colors would spin, making it look flashy.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The American Football League (AFL) competed against the NFL in the 60s and then merged with them, like the ABA did with the NBA.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@coastaldawg said:
    The American Football League (AFL) competed against the NFL in the 60s and then merged with them, like the ABA did with the NBA.

Yep, the AFL was the original "alternate" pro league.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@coastaldawg said:

Yeah, I remember that now. It’s part of the story about how Atlanta finally got an NFL team. The AFL was gonna give us one, so the NFL finally got off their asses and gave us one.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the only reason the alternate leagues were able to survive was just due to the sheer laziness of the dominant leagues.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@coastaldawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@coastaldawg said:

It w> @pgjackson said:

@coastaldawg said:

a> @pgjackson said:

@coastaldawg said:

It was. And they were able to beat an NFL team a lot quicker than anyone ever gave them credit for. Hell, the only reason Joe Namath is in the HOF is because of the 'guarantee' that the Jets would beat the Colts in SB III. Other than that game, Namath was a better than average pro QB that threw more INTs than TDs, and stayed injured a lot more than he played.