Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Braves are starting to pay the price for overusing the pen...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yikes, and it's just mid-season.
We discussed Snitker's habit of pulling starters after 5 innings, now the relief corp is near exhausted.
For those who thought we have a surplus of young starters just a few weeks ago, look again. Soroka is back on the DL, this time 2 60 days and Tehran is his usual svck every other game self.
I won't be surprised if this is Snitker's last season as a manager, he clearly has to learn how to handle a pitching staff if he's going to make it.

Comments

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Going to need late inning magic to keep this going

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    We discussed Snitker's habit of pulling starters after 5 innings, now the relief corp is near exhausted.
    For those who thought we have a surplus of young starters just a few weeks ago, look again. Soroka is back on the DL, this time 2 60 days and Tehran is his usual svck every other game self.
    I won't be surprised if this is Snitker's last season as a manager, he clearly has to learn how to handle a pitching staff if he's going to make it.

I read that Soroka's arm was still a 10-day DL thing - he was put on the 60 day DL for roster management issues....they had to put someone else on the 40 man roster for the time being. Your point is well taken, however. As I've posted before, they need to get more innings out of their starters. They get to 100 pitches WAY too early. We've seen this tired bullpen phenomenon before...they may need someone who's better at managing pitchers. It's a shame because they seem to play hard for Snitker, but there have been too many bullpen implosions for my taste.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

The thing about scoring late and other seemingly random trends, they usually are short term, there is no tangible reason for it.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

I read that Soroka's arm was still a 10-day DL thing - he was put on the 60 day DL for roster management issues....they had to put someone else on the 40 man roster for the time being. Your point is well taken, however. As I've posted before, they need to get more innings out of their starters. They get to 100 pitches WAY too early. We've seen this tired bullpen phenomenon before...they may need someone who's better at managing pitchers. It's a shame because they seem to play hard for Snitker, but there have been too many bullpen implosions for my taste.

On top of short outings by the starters, there's been a good deal of extra inning games. Which isn't helping the bullpen either.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

The thing about scoring late and other seemingly random trends, they usually are short term, there is no tangible reason for it.

Agreed. And if you're in the hunt for the playoffs, or in the playoffs, those teams generally have shutdown bullpens and/or closers. So, you're unlikely to get late inning runs against the good/playoff teams. Might be able to do it against teams like Cincinnati, Baltimore, and San Diego. But those teams all have something in common, last place in their division.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

On top of short outings by the starters, there's been a good deal of extra inning games. Which isn't helping the bullpen either.

I agree, but an experienced manager should understand those games are going to happen, it's a big part of why pitching rosters need to be well managed. It's really like a budget, you have to prepare for more than smooth sailing.