Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Has BA considered doing other podcasts also?

levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not other podcasts about sports. There are already plenty of those.

But I'm someone who really enjoys listening to audio broadcasts while I'm doing something else. And I was listening to a LOT of podcasts yesterday. One thing that kept coming back to me was how "droll" so many of them sounded. Droll might be a new word I made up while listening to podcasts yesterday, I'm not sure. Droll to me means something like dreary and boring.

Irrespective of the subject matter, the production values of the DawgNation podcast are head and shoulders above 95% of what's out there. BA has a real knack for keeping things lively and entertaining. And as someone who really enjoys a good podcast, I really wish BA would use his talents more widely so that I could have something to listen to.

Isn't .dawgNation owned by the AJC? Not under the impression the AJC is nearly the institution it was before the Internet came around and started ripping into all kinds of print media revenue streams. But it being a major newspaper in a large .American city, surely there are still some interesting, informed characters hanging around the AJC offices. A more general AJC podcast than something about sports could make good use of these guys. Plus, if you focus at least at first on something like that, it could help garner the political support inside AJC to get the funding to try something like that.

I'm thinking a good fit for a more general podcast done by BA would be something along the lines of, "Joe Six Pack discovers things more interesting than they taught in school. Not all of them make sense to Joe Six Pack." Something influenced by the RadioLab podcast, but lacking the elitism you're gonna get out of any publication that comes out of New York City. BA could use the podcast as a way to get paid for researching things he's interested in, but has never really had the inclination to look into due to time constraints. And after presenting a basic case, he could have his football buddies come in to give their average Joe impression of what's going on. I'm getting really random now though. I just made that up while typing it in.

But if BA did something like that, he'd probably have to use one of his own ideas to make the podcast any good. It'd have to be something of his creation if he's going to be doing all the work.

DawgNation could be BA's daily gig. "Joe Six Pack bemuses" could be something a little more effort is out into per episode and done once a week. It'd probably be a good idea to wait until after this coming football season is over to put anything into implementation. So he'd have more time to work on it. It's never to early to plan though.

Comments

• JJandJJJandJ Posts: 28 ✭ Freshman

Sadly, I've had to tune out of his podcasts anyway. I'm not criticizing because I couldn't put together a podcast if I had to. That said I feel that he spends too much time in the opening replaying cuts from guests that we just heard the day before. I really love the UGA talk but can't devote that time to hearing replays. I'd like to think there are enough original ideas out there to fill that time

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JJandJ said:
    Sadly, I've had to tune out of his podcasts anyway. I'm not criticizing because I couldn't put together a podcast if I had to. That said I feel that he spends too much time in the opening replaying cuts from guests that we just heard the day before. I really love the UGA talk but can't devote that time to hearing replays. I'd like to think there are enough original ideas out there to fill that time

Amen. The constant replay of who said what on yesterday's (or some other recent event) is kind of boring since I've already heard it once or twice. It would be fine (at least for me) if BA just paraphrased the previous guest and then got on with it.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2017

@JJandJ said:

That may be a problem. I don't know. I don't listen every day. And I listen while I'm doing something else. So it's not like I'm expecting him to garner my full attention.

But in BA's defense, it is the off season. He's doing a 5 day a week podcast about football when there hasn't been a football game in alsmot six months. Expecting limited repetition I think is asking too much.

And he may be targeting people like me, who don't listen every day with the repeats.

If the repeats are a problem for people who listen every day, that could be a further argument for BA doing another podcast once a week. (Yes, I'm still slinging my ".Joe Six Pack bemuses" concept). He could do DawgNation 2 or 3 days a week, Plus any breaking news episodes. And it would open up time to work on the other podcast?

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I listen to the podcast every day, and In defense of BA, he generally uses the comments from a previous podcast to reinforce a point he is making in the current podcast. I understand your wish for him to paraphrase, but if you are using someone's words because they are an "expert" or well qualified to speak about the subject at hand to support a contention, IMO, they carry more "weight" when you hear them directly from the source vs. being paraphrased.

Again, I couldn't put together a podcast with a gun to my head so I respect the talent and time it takes. I understand that he wants to reinforce a point. I'm just saying that I personally don't need that as I heard it the first time and that was enough. I'd rather move on to something else. At any rate, I'm out for now but will continue to listen in from time to time in the hope he finds a new method. I agree with levander that if there is not enough UGA to talk about, then find something else. Anything new is better than re-runs in my book.

@JJandJ You already said that, man. Just because someone disagrees with you, nobody (with intelligence) assumes that that isn't still your opinion. And it's an entirely valid opinion. What you are talking about doesn't bother me. But after you said it, I was kind of like, "oh yeah, I see what he's saying".

Yeah-trying to be funny with the repeat. Didn't really translate though :). In all seriousness I'll be in 100% when FB season starts no matter how many times he replays cuts. Go Dawgs!

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I try to arrange my day around the Facebook live video as well as the SEC Country live one at 3pm. BA does a great job on both although I do prefer the SEC Country one as I like the 2 person format. Having said that, BA does devote more time in the Dawg one to responding to viewers comments and questions which is why I watch the FB Live version over the audio version. Both are way better than Finebaum

• DawgNationDailyDawgNationDaily Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey y'all, I appreciate the feedback. First of all, I think it would be a ton of fun to do another kind of podcast one day -- although my dance card is probably a little full right now. JJandJ, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the audio clips from previous shows. I respect that might not be what you want to hear. I'll certainly take that into consideration.

Overall, I just want to convey that whether you listen every day and love it, listen every day and wish it was a little different, or listen when you can I really appreciate you making DND a part of your routine. And the fact that y'all care enough to share your opinion about it only helps me make it better. For that I'm grateful.

Ba.

Thanks BA. I think it is incredibly cool of you to respond. I know a lot of folks love the daily info and hope you keep it up.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JJandJ said:
    Thanks BA. I think it is incredibly cool of you to respond. I know a lot of folks love the daily info and hope you keep it up.

Couldn't agree more. Will miss my 10am/3pm fix next week. My crystal ball tells me that Zeus may get a mention when you resume normal service on the 26th :)

@JJandJ said:
    Yeah-trying to be funny with the repeat. Didn't really translate though :). In all seriousness I'll be in 100% when FB season starts no matter how many times he replays cuts. Go Dawgs!

I probably would have gotten it if it weren't for the fact that people do what you did all the time on message boards, and are completely serious. They're just being argumentatitive and want to get the last word. I was trying to jump in before the thread devolved into the idiocy of people just wanting the last word.

It was a clever joke. It's just people do that all the time on the message boards, and aren't joking.

@DawgNationDaily Sucks that you're already so busy. The market could really use some more good podcasts out there. But I guess that's life in the modern world, everyone is so busy...

Maybe as the DawgNation site grows its revenues, the AJC could hire some more people and free you up some. We'll see eventually...

• PortlanddawgPortlanddawg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭ Junior

@DawgNationDaily said:
    Hey y'all, I appreciate the feedback. First of all, I think it would be a ton of fun to do another kind of podcast one day -- although my dance card is probably a little full right now. JJandJ, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the audio clips from previous shows. I respect that might not be what you want to hear. I'll certainly take that into consideration.

Overall, I just want to convey that whether you listen every day and love it, listen every day and wish it was a little different, or listen when you can I really appreciate you making DND a part of your routine. And the fact that y'all care enough to share your opinion about it only helps me make it better. For that I'm grateful.

Ba.

You do a fantastic job, Brandon. For someone who is out in Portland, OR, and has no one to talk to about Georgia football, you're my go to 5 days a week. Just know that when I listen to you after work, I'm either at the gym or being lazy and drinking a few cold ones and getting my daily Dawg that I can't get anywhere else. Much appreciated.

• bobbypiperbobbypiper Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

I started out listening to the podcast daily. I have since converted to the FB live version, because I love the interaction with the listeners. Either way keep it up BA, I am a homer that can't get enough of the Dawgs!

• ladawgladawg Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Rivals.uga has a great podcast once a week... all three hosts are recruiting experts.. they aren't as cool as jeff sentell, but they seem to share much more speculation than he does.. I prefer it.. also there are two guys that do a 'glory uga' podcast.. more opinion, and I think main guy has aspergers so he can be too much, but they cover good topics.. BA is a trip, but the opening feels a little long and I wish he would have more recruiting people on other than jeff, I always enjoy hearing about other schools from their recruiting pov.. keep us out of the bubble

@ladawg said:
    all three hosts are recruiting experts.. they aren't as cool as jeff sentell, but they seem to share much more speculation than he does..

This sounds like the old trade-off in journalism. Do you want higher quality content or do you want more content?

As far as recruiting intel is concerned, Jeff has decided on the higher quality content. Then he has to work his butt off to get as much content as possible because he has a higher quality standard.

I don't know about the podcast you mentioned. Never listened to it. But sites like 247 have decided to make more content the goal. I've seen links tiger has posted to that site that will say something about a kid. But Jeff's already interviewed the kid, and the kid has said that's not what's happening.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the gossip column though if someone gets a kick out of that. I do think people should be aware there's a quality difference in the accuracy of the reporting though.

• ladawgladawg Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

'I don't know about the podcast you mentioned' ... but here are all my thoughts on it and journalism.. lol

@ladawg said:
    'I don't know about the podcast you mentioned' ... but here are all my thoughts on it and journalism.. lol

Those are pretty basic, commonly held about journalism. I guess my instincts were right about you not understanding them. I didn't figure on you not wanting to understand them though. Sa la vie...