Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Will the Braves finish above or below .500 ?..

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They sit at 7 over right now, but are just 7-13 in July with a 4 game losing streak.
Much of what is playing out was predictable, and I did predict it.
Albies is not a power hitter, many of the career minor leaguers who hit early have long faded and pitching is thin.
I have to shake my head remembering posters saying the team should trade excess pitching for a bat just weeks ago. Now with just 2 days remaining to make trades, the team clearly needs a starter as well as 2 relievers and a strong bat off the bench.
Which brings me back to ownership, we likely won't do much before the deadline on Tuesday because Liberty is only concerned with profits.

I see this team finishing at or below .500 with more long term questions than I expected going into next season.

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    They sit at 7 over right now, but are just 7-13 in July with a 4 game losing streak.
    Albies is not a power hitter, many of the career minor leaguers who hit early have long faded and pitching is thin.
    I have to shake my head remembering posters saying the team should trade excess pitching for a bat just weeks ago. Now with just 2 days remaining to make trades, the team clearly needs a starter as well as 2 relievers and a strong bat off the bench.
    Which brings me back to ownership, we likely won't do much before the deadline on Tuesday because Liberty is only concerned with profits.

I see this team finishing at or below .500 with more long term questions than I expected going into next season.

I am hoping for .500 or a little above. Youngsters are learning what its all about lately. Happens to the best of them.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

I am hoping for .500 or a little above. Youngsters are learning what its all about lately. Happens to the best of them.

Many wonder kinds like Acuna is projected to be were stars right away.
    I'm not seeing the level of adjustments and plate coverage I'd like yet from him. Albies is going to be an all around player, but not the power hitter he teased us as. I'm hoping the young starting pitching becomes more consistent, that is the #1 key.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018

Again, Liberty Media has no say in the teams payroll! The team is not going to make big splashy moves because they don’t think it’s the right move, not because of big daddy Liberty Media.

Almost certainly over 500, but don’t think this is a playoff team. Probably won’t add anyone very exciting at the deadline either.

And yeah, Acuna has a bit of a raw approach at the plate. I mean he is 20 and all and we shouldn’t be too concerned with it, as he still is producing ok. But you do gotta hope he figures out how to have more consistently competitive at bats sooner rather later.

• Options

@Kirbstomper said:
    Again, Liberty Media has no say in the teams payroll! The team is not going to make big splashy moves because they don’t think it’s the right move, not because of big daddy Liberty Media.

Almost certainly over 500, but don’t think this is a playoff team. Probably won’t add anyone very exciting at the deadline either.

And yeah, Acuna has a bit of a raw approach at the plate. I mean he is 20 and all and we shouldn’t be too concerned with it, as he still is producing ok. But you do gotta hope he figures out how to have more consistently competitive at bats sooner rather later.

You live in a fantasy world if you think Liberty doesn't mandate payroll limits.

• Options

https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/3/2/17071654/braves-202-the-relationship-with-liberty-media

Lol. There’s that again in case you feel like actually knowing what you’re talking about cool guy. But yeah I’m in the fantasy world

• Options

@Kirbstomper said:
    https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/3/2/17071654/braves-202-the-relationship-with-liberty-media

Lol. There’s that again in case you feel like actually knowing what you’re talking about cool guy. But yeah I’m in the fantasy world

You read BS, I research, you're operating on a low rung, but you don't know enough to know it.

• Options

Sure man, sure. Again I’d love to be enlightened with some info, because I don’t trust that one guy you met in a bar one time. But you don’t source things, right? Maybe it’s because you don’t research and actually don’t know what you’re talking about!

I don’t really care for your demeaning comments man. I’m newish here, but I’ve learned you’re kind of the common denominator on this type of stuff so I’ll let it be. But if anyone reading this actually wants to know how the braves operate, i wouldn’t listen to this guy. In fact I probably wouldn’t listen to him for much else, either.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In other news, Newcomb almost threw a no-no.

• Options

@Teddy said:
    In other news, Newcomb almost threw a no-no.

Really, I hadn't noticed.... :'(