Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

A few thoughts on Justin Fields

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@4thandlong said:
    For those of you saying Fields most likely didn’t want this exposed so early that is false. I went to high school with fields and a friend of mine who’s dad is close with Field’s father heard this story was being reported days before it was out meaning that they definatly wanted it heard. Not sure why yet maybe for recruiting reasons. If so pretty ****

great first post!

"I am your fathers brothers nephews cousins former roommate!!"

• Options
    OroValleyDawgOroValleyDawg Posts: 245 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hate to see him go, was hoping he would redshirt next year. But it was an odd decision from the start. Fields either overestimated his talent or underestimated Jakes, or maybe a bit of both.

I do think Kirby botched this and will learn from it. Fields should have redshirted this year when he couldn't beat Fromm out. It was obvious to everyone that Kirby played Fields just enough to burn his redshirt. I believe that will be the Fields case to play immediately and not sit out.

With all of that being said, I think this is for the best for Fields and for Georgia. The SECC did it for me, I knew this situation was not workable anymore

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog said:
    I am not worried about this situation. Will we lose a recruit or additional player? Maybe. That doesn't mean we won't replace those guys because we will. Personally, I want people who want to be at Georgia. And I believe Georgia is a top program who can get the players it needs. So there is nothing to fear but fear itself--to borrow from history.

This all the way. I wasn’t a Haselwood fan back when he was whining about us not throwing enough for him.

He seems like a problem and is attached to Fields. Now the Fields family pulls this before ESD...it seems like they are two peas in a pod and could care less about UGA or a degree. Mark my words...save this for 4yrs from now.

Neither Justin Fields nor Jadon Haselwood will get drafted.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@DawgNationDaily said:
    If Fields does indeed transfer I’ll be really disappointed — not just because UGA is losing a talented QB, but also because it seemed like Kirby never really had a plan for him.

In fact, he once famously said, “the plan is there is no plan.” I always assumed Kirby was exaggerating when he said that. As it turns out, maybe he wasn’t.

I’m filled with questions.

Should UGA’s coaches have known that Fields and his camp would be as uninterested in the team as they’ve maybe turned out to be?

Why didn’t they use him more like a regular QB in the games in which he played this season?

And why was a guy who was quite likely already contemplating his next team on the field for the most pivotal play of the most important game of UGA’s season?

The fake punt looks even dumber now.

I’ve said all year that UGA is better for having both Fromm and Fields, and if it doesn’t have both it won’t be as good next season as it could’ve been. Look at how crucial multiple QBs have been for Alabama the last two seasons as an example why UGA needs two capable performers at that position.

However, Fields is only a backup at UGA. Fromm earned the starting job for next season fair and square in the SEC Championship.

You don’t bench someone who made the throws Fromm made, and if Fields thinks he’s too good to sit the bench for another year then good riddance.

I personally hope the reports of Fields’ transfer turn out to be premature though.

UGA needs Fields.

But it can also live without him.

JFi was the back up QB. Plain and simple. The "No Plan" comment was for a specific game. The overall plan was to let JFi compete in practice to win the job which he did not win. Anyone who saw him in action knows that he did not maintain the control as JFr. Completely understand his desire to leave. There is the problem of too crowed at the top with 5* talent and he doesn't want to wait for play time. Not knowing if JFr moves on after Jr season is also a consideration. Kirby handled it well IMO.... WIN and play the guy that gives you the best chance to win now. That's all he did and should do.

Hate that JFi is leaving but understand that he and family feels its in his best interest. DO hate that this race card is being played because I do not feel this is the real issue.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@JayDog said:
    I am not worried about this situation. Will we lose a recruit or additional player? Maybe. That doesn't mean we won't replace those guys because we will. Personally, I want people who want to be at Georgia. And I believe Georgia is a top program who can get the players it needs. So there is nothing to fear but fear itself--to borrow from history.

This all the way. I wasn’t a Haselwood fan back when he was whining about us not throwing enough for him.

He seems like a problem and is attached to Fields. Now the Fields family pulls this before ESD...it seems like they are two peas in a pod and could care less about UGA or a degree. Mark my words...save this for 4yrs from now.

bold statement there

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MeR3htid said:
    Man Im fed up with these entitled prima donna QBs tucking tail and running when things aren't going their way. I guess when he (Fields) committed to Georgia he must have thought Grayson Lambert was the starter and he'd have the job by midseason. Well Grayson Lambert and Joe Cox Fromm is not IF that was the reason hes allegedly transferring.

Grayson Lambert was not at UGA when JFi arrived?

• Options
    Commit_2_GCommit_2_G Posts: 60 ✭✭ Sophomore

If this doesn't say it ALL!! Good riddance! Only second game as a Dawg, and a substantial win for the program at the time!! We are not about one player, one coach, or one fan! We are DawgNATION!

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@JayDog said:

bold statement there

Go big or go home.

• Options
    AdamBombAdamBomb Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

@Raiderbeater1 said:

I definitely wouldn't go that far they are both very talented. However, I do remember a certain amount of drama behind the recruitment of a kid named Da'Rick Rogers. Attitude issues among other things, he "flipped" to TN because they supposedly offered his friend. Didn't turn out to well for Mr. Rogers (no pun intended)

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgNationDaily said:

I’ve said all year that UGA is better for having both Fromm and Fields, and if it doesn’t have both it won’t be as good next season as it could’ve been.

Unless Fromm get's injured, I'm completely disagreeing with this. Fields was a massive distraction that the coaches were wasting plays on trying to coddle his ego. We are going to be better off for this. I'm just disappointed that Fields turned out to be that kind of player.

• Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The more and more I think about this it just doesn’t make sense. Georgia has the best roster in the country arguably. Why would you leave that? If OSU is the destination Ryan Day is unproven as a head coach for a full season and as a leading recruiter. If it’s FSU well I don’t need to tell you their problems. OU there’s Spencer Rattler and I don’t really see JF1 beating him out either. FU still doesn’t have the roster and maybe just maybe they’ll have it by your senior year. I get wanting to play but I don’t think the Fields family is looking at the big picture.

• Options

@JayDog said:

No one is bigger than the program. I'm not worried about UGA football in the slightest. I'm disappointed in Fields and I believe this will destroy his future.

• Options
    allywallyw Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I kind of mirror what some of you guys are saying. I’m utterly confused by this whole thing.

• Options
    edited December 2018

@Kasey said:

@4thandlong said:
    For those of you saying Fields most likely didn’t want this exposed so early that is false. I went to high school with fields and a friend of mine who’s dad is close with Field’s father heard this story was being reported days before it was out meaning that they definatly wanted it heard. Not sure why yet maybe for recruiting reasons. If so pretty ****

great first post!

"I am your fathers brothers nephews cousins former roommate!!"

Thank you for pointing that out. I'm officially transferring his UV to your comment. Congratulations.

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bigdawg2223 said:
    The more and more I think about this it just doesn’t make sense. Georgia has the best roster in the country arguably. Why would you leave that? If OSU is the destination Ryan Day is unproven as a head coach for a full season and as a leading recruiter. If it’s FSU well I don’t need to tell you their problems. OU there’s Spencer Rattler and I don’t really see JF1 beating him out either. FU still doesn’t have the roster and maybe just maybe they’ll have it by your senior year. I get wanting to play but I don’t think the Fields family is looking at the big picture.

There’s also the chance that Haskins doesn’t go pro (lots of speculation about this)

And also, what if fields doesn’t beat out Tate martell?

OSU doesn’t make sense to me.

• Options

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@JayDog said:

I'm with you 100%. That's why I said this is pretty much a loss for all involved.

• Options
    MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@OroValleyDawg said:
    I hate to see him go, was hoping he would redshirt next year. But it was an odd decision from the start. Fields either overestimated his talent or underestimated Jakes, or maybe a bit of both.

I do think Kirby botched this and will learn from it. Fields should have redshirted this year when he couldn't beat Fromm out. It was obvious to everyone that Kirby played Fields just enough to burn his redshirt. I believe that will be the Fields case to play immediately and not sit out.

With all of that being said, I think this is for the best for Fields and for Georgia. The SECC did it for me, I knew this situation was not workable anymore

How is it obvious that Kirby played him just enough to burn his redshirt? A player can play in 4 games and keep his redshirt. Fields played in 12 out of 13 games. This was not a kid who was played in 5 games and therefore, played just enough to burn his redshirt. His redshirt was burned by game 5 of the season.

• Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@judasdurant said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

There’s also the chance that Haskins doesn’t go pro (lots of speculation about this)

And also, what if fields doesn’t beat out Tate martell?

OSU doesn’t make sense to me.

I think it would be wise for Haskins to stay, if he does and has another season like this one he’s a top 5 pick easily. Yeah Tate knows the playbook, similar skill set just not the physical gifts of Fields. The only place he could go to see sure fire playing time is FSU. He’s going to play but he’s going to hate it lol If it’s about PT UGA is his best bet that’s why I hope there isn’t more nefarious things at work behind the scenes. After the video came out from the SECOND game of the season I think he just has a sense of entitlement and wants things handed to him. He’ll make plays wherever he goes but it won’t be what he could’ve had at UGA.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

@DawgNationDaily , @JeffSentell This only my opinion, but the timing of this appears to be just about as bad as it can possibly be for the recruiting wars Georgia is currently involved in. This story “came out” with less than 48 hours before a very hotly contested Early Signing Period is set to begin. The Georgia Bulldog Football program is currently “wading into the deepest of waters” (as BA has said before) for the very BEST recruits. Perhaps the timing of this news story was NOT an accident??? Makes me wonder what current Bulldog defensive player Malik Herring’s Tweet meant exactly???

• Options
    OroValleyDawgOroValleyDawg Posts: 245 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MIghtydawg said:

@OroValleyDawg said:

How is it obvious that Kirby played him just enough to burn his redshirt? A player can play in 4 games and keep his redshirt. Fields played in 12 out of 13 games. This was not a kid who was played in 5 games and therefore, played just enough to burn his redshirt. His redshirt was burned by game 5 of the season.