Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

A few thoughts on Justin Fields

Comments

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The irony is that the best thing could be to take the backup role, get stronger, older and learn the system. He is going to take a beating if he is a first year starter at a school without a good line. Staying at UGA is the safest way to the NFL, but I also understand him wanting to play before '20/21. He is taking a risk if he goes somewhere and doesn't do well, or he gets beat out. That cooks his future.

• Options

The real problem, imho, is that we have/had two great QBs. Even in his limited role, Fields' throwing stats were very impressive for a TF, and he had some passes dropped, like the TD strike to DROB. I think Fromm is so good he could win the Heisman, and I think Fields could win a Heisman, too. It is just hard to keep them both happy because Fields wants to play. I still think Fields is going to be better than Newton by the time he graduates. Let's hope it isn't at our expense.

• Options
    VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

WHY THE REPORTS A DAY AND A HALF BEFORE THE ESP??

felds, pls

• Options
    gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RetiredRedcoat said:
    Look at the difference post LSU. What was the main difference between the Florida game and every game prior?

We had a clearly defined starter who knew he was the starter.

I want Fields in Athens. I believe he is going to be an amazing talent wherever he goes. I am not hitting this forum with the classic Bama "he's only a luxury" mess. We could really use him on the roster. But be honest with yourselves: When Jacob Eason came out two years ago with that prototypical NFL physique, cannon arm, and sporting a full season under his belt along with a previous ranking of the #1 QB in the country...don't tell me that after he went down Fromm didn't come in and instantly pass every eye test as a major upgrade. You knew it instantly. You knew the moment you saw it. The offense clicked under him, and he had been given no time to develop. He had been given no time to learn protections. He was a true freshman.

Now compare that to what we saw out of Fields. Prototypical NFL physique, a cannon arm, the previous #1 QB in the country...and when he walked out there did you see an instant upgrade? Did you see the offense click? Don't talk to me about flashes. Talk to me about consistent, sustained, upgraded production. He consciously knew he was going to be developed, and had been told there will be times you will come in. And yet I never noticed a moment when I saw a significant upside out of the true freshman. Fields flashed for sure...but Fromm didn't flash. He walked into South Bend and won in his first career start.

I'm not saying that Fields isn't going to develop into an AMAZING quarterback. He is. He will at UGA if he stays, and he will anywhere else, too, to be totally honest. He's just that talented.

But let this marinate:

Jake Fromm has taken the job from one 5* top ranked QB already and didn't lose his job to another. When's the last time UGA had a QB like that? I want the chicken little gif. Kasey, where are you?

The play that stands out the most to me which showed Fields just wasn’t quite ready for the big time just yet was the Auburn game. We were on the 2 yard line and he took a 16 yard sack. That’s near the end of the season. He’s been through Spring and Summer, plus almost an entire season of practice with some game experience. You shouldn’t look like a deer in headlights at that point.

We heard very early on before last season started that Fromm was really pushing Eason. Insiders were saying Fromm was a better decision maker than Eason. That he could read defenses better than Eason. We’ve never heard those same rumblings this year. Can Fields run the ball better than Fromm? Of course. Does Fields have a stronger arm than Fromm? Absolutely. But those two things alone doesn’t make a person a great QB.

I have no doubt that Fields will be really good once he’s got the starting job wherever he is. I’d prefer it to be in Athens with him having EARNED the job. But if he isn’t happy and is going to be a cancer in the locker room, I’d prefer we cut ties now. Get him off the practice field and definitely don’t let him go to the Sugar Bowl. No need to reward a kid who doesn’t even want to be in the team.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am not worried about this situation. Will we lose a recruit or additional player? Maybe. That doesn't mean we won't replace those guys because we will. Personally, I want people who want to be at Georgia. And I believe Georgia is a top program who can get the players it needs. So there is nothing to fear but fear itself--to borrow from history.

• Options

@JayDog said:
    I am not worried about this situation. Will we lose a recruit or additional player? Maybe. That doesn't mean we won't replace those guys because we will. Personally, I want people who want to be at Georgia. And I believe Georgia is a top program who can get the players it needs. So there is nothing to fear but fear itself--to borrow from history.

Yep, if he wasn't out of scholly's he wouldn't have needed JRP to blueshirt.

• Options

@Jesupdawg said:
    I say the media has a lot to do with all this. They pumped up the controversy all year long. If you don't believe that gets in kids and their parents heads then your crazy

I got tired of the constant speculation about transfers. Frankly, if this transfer comes to pass, it will be a relief to me. If it doesn't happen and all this furor was brought on by JF's family--I hope Kirby lays the controversy to rest once and for all. I would almost rather JF go ahead and transfer regardless. If he is unhappy, he needs to do it for himself and his teammates.

• Options

@PerroGrande said:

@JayDog said:

Yep, if he wasn't out of scholly's he wouldn't have needed JRP to blueshirt.

That's the part I don't get. This must have been somewhat unexpected--at least the media announcement of it.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:
    Surely he wouldn't have sabotaged that fake field goal, right?

Right?

There was something very strange about that fake punt play. It starts with the fact that Fields stuck out like Isaiah Wilson would in a crowd of asians

Maybe a crowd of jockeys ?

• Options
    DawgNutDawgNut Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When the Fields transfer talk started on this forum early yesterday I mentioned that it wouldn't be the end of the world if he left. It definitely stings and he obviously has a world of talent but it is possible that Fromm is the starter for 2 more seasons. He hasn't done anything to show that he shouldn't be starting. Would love to have a guy as talented as Fields as Fromm's back-up in the event that Fromm is injured but in the end he would still just be a back-up and would not be happy.

Of course it will sting worse if Fromm leaves after next season but Fromm just doesn't strike me as that type of guy. Feels more like an Aaron Murray type that will stay all 4 years. I think Kirby is building a team that would be ok if a back-up QB not named Fields has to fill in. Fantastic defense and O-line with a tremendous running game. Many a championship has been won with that formula.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgNut said:
    When the Fields transfer talk started on this forum early yesterday I mentioned that it wouldn't be the end of the world if he left. It definitely stings and he obviously has a world of talent but it is possible that Fromm is the starter for 2 more seasons. He hasn't done anything to show that he shouldn't be starting. Would love to have a guy as talented as Fields as Fromm's back-up in the event that Fromm is injured but in the end he would still just be a back-up and would not be happy.

Of course it will sting worse if Fromm leaves after next season but Fromm just doesn't strike me as that type of guy. Feels more like an Aaron Murray type that will stay all 4 years. I think Kirby is building a team that would be ok if a back-up QB not named Fields has to fill in. Fantastic defense and O-line with a tremendous running game. Many a championship has been won with that formula.

Yep.

• Options
    Commit_2_GCommit_2_G Posts: 60 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited December 2018

Honestly, you could see this coming a mile away when Hazelwood decommited. There is no way he would do that unless he had inside information (I'm sure Fields himself), that Fields wasn't going to be here next year. I thought to myself: yeap Fields gone.

This has been the case for a while, ever since I am sure that someone in Fields camp planted the whole Fields racist story earlier this year. That was to set up the day the transfer was requested and to be used to grant hardship waiver making Fields eligible let to play for his new team next year.

Don't think for a second it won't be granted either, just due the potential PR backlash it would cause the Dawgs, SEC, and NCAA if it doesn't grant it. Therefore, this won't be challenged by Dawgs as it would boomerang and effect recruiting and therefore the finished product for years to come!

We'll swallow our pill, take our lumps, and be a great football team for years to come. I just hope we don't have to play Fields in college. Now wouldn't that be interesting!!!!

PS:. Hazelwood is not coming here and has already decided to go where Fields goes. Want to know where Fields will be going? Follow the money (Hazelwood commitment in January). That should solve the mystery!

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@gdawg4life said:

@RetiredRedcoat said:
    Look at the difference post LSU. What was the main difference between the Florida game and every game prior?

We had a clearly defined starter who knew he was the starter.

I want Fields in Athens. I believe he is going to be an amazing talent wherever he goes. I am not hitting this forum with the classic Bama "he's only a luxury" mess. We could really use him on the roster. But be honest with yourselves: When Jacob Eason came out two years ago with that prototypical NFL physique, cannon arm, and sporting a full season under his belt along with a previous ranking of the #1 QB in the country...don't tell me that after he went down Fromm didn't come in and instantly pass every eye test as a major upgrade. You knew it instantly. You knew the moment you saw it. The offense clicked under him, and he had been given no time to develop. He had been given no time to learn protections. He was a true freshman.

Now compare that to what we saw out of Fields. Prototypical NFL physique, a cannon arm, the previous #1 QB in the country...and when he walked out there did you see an instant upgrade? Did you see the offense click? Don't talk to me about flashes. Talk to me about consistent, sustained, upgraded production. He consciously knew he was going to be developed, and had been told there will be times you will come in. And yet I never noticed a moment when I saw a significant upside out of the true freshman. Fields flashed for sure...but Fromm didn't flash. He walked into South Bend and won in his first career start.

I'm not saying that Fields isn't going to develop into an AMAZING quarterback. He is. He will at UGA if he stays, and he will anywhere else, too, to be totally honest. He's just that talented.

But let this marinate:

Jake Fromm has taken the job from one 5* top ranked QB already and didn't lose his job to another. When's the last time UGA had a QB like that? I want the chicken little gif. Kasey, where are you?

The play that stands out the most to me which showed Fields just wasn’t quite ready for the big time just yet was the Auburn game. We were on the 2 yard line and he took a 16 yard sack. That’s near the end of the season. He’s been through Spring and Summer, plus almost an entire season of practice with some game experience. You shouldn’t look like a deer in headlights at that point.

We heard very early on before last season started that Fromm was really pushing Eason. Insiders were saying Fromm was a better decision maker than Eason. That he could read defenses better than Eason. We’ve never heard those same rumblings this year. Can Fields run the ball better than Fromm? Of course. Does Fields have a stronger arm than Fromm? Absolutely. But those two things alone doesn’t make a person a great QB.

I have no doubt that Fields will be really good once he’s got the starting job wherever he is. I’d prefer it to be in Athens with him having EARNED the job. But if he isn’t happy and is going to be a cancer in the locker room, I’d prefer we cut ties now. Get him off the practice field and definitely don’t let him go to the Sugar Bowl. No need to reward a kid who doesn’t even want to be in the team.

This is a great post. QB job has to be 50% mental or more I'm guessing. How good is your mental game when you transfer at the first sign of adversity or things weren't handed to you?

• Options
    4thandlong4thandlong Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

For those of you saying Fields most likely didn’t want this exposed so early that is false. I went to high school with fields and a friend of mine who’s dad is close with Field’s father heard this story was being reported days before it was out meaning that they definatly wanted it heard. Not sure why yet maybe for recruiting reasons. If so pretty ****

• Options
    DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgNationDaily Love the passion you are bringing to the show this morning. You put words to many a Georgia fan's thought and I for one appreciate it very much!

• Options

Fans are understandably upset--but we gonna be OK. I will love my Dawgs no matter what. The team is being built to win with dominant line play and solid defense. Our offense was not too shabby without Fields.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

@scooterdawg said:
    Hey @DawgNationDaily ...was the one in Chip's story the first official comment by the Fields clan? Story had been out for hours and they apparently made no effort to shut it down until the evening....

Would the Fields family know how to shut it down? Do they have any previous experience with the media?

Well. Assuming that even if Wolken didn’t attempt to get a comment from them I’d have to think that it didn’t take the 4 or 5 hours after the initial story for others to contact them. Wolken story comes out, then added to by Nabulsi and others, and THEN hours later Chip calls and they just then decide to let out that no decision has been made?

Either they were on an island with no internet or cell service or they are FOS if they act like they hadn’t already heard the story before commenting hours later when it was too late to do anything. Saying “we’re looking into it but no decision has been made yet” might have been more helpful if they actually cared about UGA and said it earlier in the day. Probably not but it’s the sort of thing responsible people do.

• Options
    DawgNutDawgNut Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Commit_2_G said:

We'll swallow our pill, take our lumps, and be a great football team for years to come. I just hope we don't have to play Fields in college. Now wouldn't that be interesting!!!!

PS:. Hazelwood is not coming here and has already decided to go where Fields goes. Want to know where Fields will be going? Follow the money (Hazelwood commitment in January). That should solve the mystery!

I actually would welcome the chance to play him and provide a beat down that would make him second guess his decision