Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Yup, one more(Fields)

Comments

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sooner he is gone better off the team will be. He is very talented, but not proven and the team will benefit next yr. Fromm is proven x 2! Trying to keep the Fields camp happy cost is an SEC title. This way Kirby can work on what's best for the team and not keeping 1 player interested.

• Options
    TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@HunkerDown1MoreTime said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:
    Does a (god-forbid) injury to Fromm in the sugar bowl and a good performance by Fields change or effects his decision to stay or leave?

Hes staying either way

Even if you disagree with him....you have to LOVE Hunkerdown.

No way this dude is married. He is waaayyy too stubborn....maybe divorced 3 times....or has millions because no one has married him and took half his stuff.

Reminds me of the role William Shatner played in Boston Legal....awesome

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

@Bankwalker said:

@levander said:

@Bankwalker said:

@levander said:

@Bankwalker said:

@levander said:

@YaleDawg said:

@levander said:
    9> @YaleDawg said:

@levander said:

@Bankwalker said:

@scooterdawg said:

@Bankwalker said:
    In that case he should absolutely be granted a waiver to be eligible immediately - IN BASEBALL.

He's transferring because he is the backup and everyone in the World knows he is transferring because he is the backup. You can't legitimately argue that you need to transfer because you don't feel welcome on the baseball team because of someone who isn't on the baseball team, especially when you haven't ever been on the baseball team to actually experience what you perceive to be allegedly being alleged in order to gain eligibility in a different sport. It's ridiculous, and abusive.

Either way, UGA football is going to be just fine.

He's also not that great of a baseball prospect. Scouts report says, "hand hitch load, tends to be late getting his hands moving forward, has late bat speed and can impact the ball hard when on time. "

I’m with ya on the baseball stuff. I’ll admit that I wasn’t following recruiting too closely last year. I certainly knew JF was a top football prospect but I initially thought they were talking out of their asses and had to google Justin Fields and baseball. There were a few stories about slight interest from scouts but nothing like the Oklahoma kid.

But in the screwed up logic of the NCAA I can see them giving in on it as the path of least resistance. They don’t want the racial headlines to go any further than Georgia does. Blame it on one guy who’s gone, let Fields play next year, and it pretty much goes away without a lot of fuss.

Sounds like Pablo may have had legal advice earlier than last week.

Yet he stayed 3 full months longer and nothing else has happened. Nobody on the baseball team has done anything. Fields didn’t do anything to cause him to get kicked out of school. He would be alleging that the baseball team is racist even though the other players have not done anything to support the claim. Bogus. Im sure they do expect him to be eligible but the facts do not support his case.

The supposed racist would still be Sasser. And this racist was allowed to play on the baseball team for 3 years. But now he’s been kicked off said team because of an incident with Justin. So because of the racially hostile environment UGA allowed to fester, Justin is not comfortable going to play baseball with this racist’s former friends. You don’t have to accuse the other baseball players of being racist. Just accuse them of being friends with Sasser.

That’s one way you could work the argument. There are others.

The act that the university kicked Sasser off the team establishes what Sasser did as so reprehensible, the school couldn’t tolerate his participation any more. So a lawyer wouldn’t have to bother with establishing there is a racially hostile environment. The school has said that about themselves with their actions. The lawyer just has to show how that affects Justin.

No, it shows UGA doesn't tolerate the actions of the individual. A frat kid was punished by the university for brandishing a gun at a party on campus. Does that mean the university is admitting it has a violent environment? No, it shows it won't tolerate violent individuals.

Your Yale educated argument left out how severe the punishment was, and whether or not this “brandishing” was part of a threat against another student.

The simple analogy you’ve given has a hundred different possibilities for answers.t8s just not worth the time to go into.

It doesnt matter though it just highlights this ridiculous notion that punishing an individual is some sort of acknowledgment of endemic racism. By not punishing sasser does it mean UGA isn't racist? I think most people would come to the opposite conclusion if that happened.

You don’t have to prove “endemic” to the NCAA. Nor was that what I was trying to get at. “racially hostile environment” that I used is terminology people have been throwing around as what the NCAA calls it. And just from reading various articles around the Internet, not from personal expertise with NCAA bylaws, you don’t have to prove it’s endemic to prove it’s racially hostile. The NCAA interpretation of that is supposedly pretty broad. Admitting you had a kid so bad you had to kick him off your team seems to me admission you violated a broad interpretation of “racially hostile”.

Is there an actual section in the NCAA bylaws on transferring from a racially hostile environment? You imply that you have read one. If so, do you mind linking that section up? Regardless, one student involved with one incident will never meet that bar. I wouldnt be surprised to learn that many, many student athletes have previously tried to play this card with the NCAA. Think about how often we see the tacic abused in everyday life. This would certainly not be the first time the argument would be presented to the NCAA.
    I find the idea that his case is unique to be laughable. The way this works is that once such a one-off incident was successfully used to gain immediate eligibility, word would spread and then bigotry would be the #1 reason kids list for transferring schools.

Bankwalker, you’re not even reading what you’re responding to are you? I specifically say in there I have no personal expertise with NCAA bylaws.

No, I am reading what I am responding to. YOU are trying to say what threshold is or isnt necessary. My point in asking was to bait you in to admitting that you are just talking out your ass. Your source is literally just crapola you have read on the internet.

Your opinion on this is about as sound as the one where you suggest Kirby should stop recruiting highly rated players once he has another enrolled on campus. Total nonsense.

Boy it’s been awhile since I’ve able to so easily get under someone’s skin. I miss the good ole days.

Good job baiting me into saying something I already said.

Actually, you have no idea. Ive been resisting the urge to point out your consistently flawed logic and short bus comprehension for several months.

Okay, that’s cool. But I think you’ll find if you want to learn from me, you’ll learn a lot more if you can narrow your post down to the essence of what you disagree with.

LEARN FROM YOU? SMH. Comical Delusional. Pure hubris.

• Options
    DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

The supposed racist would still be Sasser. And this racist was allowed to play on the baseball team for 3 years. But now he’s been kicked off said team because of an incident with Justin. So because of the racially hostile environment UGA allowed to fester, Justin is not comfortable going to play baseball with this racist’s former friends. You don’t have to accuse the other baseball players of being racist. Just accuse them of being friends with Sasser.

The act that the university kicked Sasser off the team establishes what Sasser did as so reprehensible, the school couldn’t tolerate his participation any more. So a lawyer wouldn’t have to bother with establishing there is a racially hostile environment. The school has said that about themselves with their actions. The lawyer just has to show how that affects Justin.

While I'm not familiar with how this would be judged by the NCAA, I am familiar with how it is handled in sexual and racial harassment cases in workplaces. What you describe is NOT how courts view "hostile environments". A workplace that comes down hard on everyone who takes actions that could be viewed as making a hostile environment is not confirming that the environment exists like you're suggesting. In fact it's evidence that the environment does not exist due to the actions taken by the workplace.

If you have a no tolerance policy for racial bigotry and can provide evidence that every person you've caught has been punished/fired if they break that policy that proves that you do NOT have a hostile environment. I fail to see how in a college that would be viewed the opposite legally.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WoodstockDawg said:
    Sooner he is gone better off the team will be. He is very talented, but not proven and the team will benefit next yr. Fromm is proven x 2! Trying to keep the Fields camp happy cost is an SEC title. This way Kirby can work on what's best for the team and not keeping 1 player interested.

How did it cost us the SEC title? Just curious as to your thought process on this.

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@donm said:

@WoodstockDawg said:

How did it cost us the SEC title? Just curious as to your thought process on this.

In the 2nd half Kirby had multiple series that he put Fields in for one play when Fromm was having the (or one of) the best games of his career. Fields never had success and then Fromm was beginning it 2nd & 10 or longer. Had Kirby stayed with Fromm entire time. We may (I would like to believe yes) have had more success sustaining drives in the 2nd half.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawginSC said:

@levander said:

While I'm not familiar with how this would be judged by the NCAA, I am familiar with how it is handled in sexual and racial harassment cases in workplaces. What you describe is NOT how courts view "hostile environments". A workplace that comes down hard on everyone who takes actions that could be viewed as making a hostile environment is not confirming that the environment exists like you're suggesting. In fact it's evidence that the environment does not exist due to the actions taken by the workplace.

If you have a no tolerance policy for racial bigotry and can provide evidence that every person you've caught has been punished/fired if they break that policy that proves that you do NOT have a hostile environment. I fail to see how in a college that would be viewed the opposite legally.

When you punish someone for being (racially or sexually or whatever) hostile, the severity of the punishment should be considered a severity of the offense. Like if a woman complains of sexual harassment, but no action is taken. What you’re saying is this was not the least bit of a serious offense. But if you fire that person you are saying this was a serious offense, You are opening yourself up to being sued either way. If the person who was fired can make a case that he did nothing wrong, he can sue. And I have seen that happen. The case was settled out of court. They just paid the guy and what he told us was he couldn’t tell us how much because that was part of the deal. It wasn’t enough to retire off of because he’s still working a day job to this day is all I know. He still lives in the same house too.

So when UGA kicked Adam Sasser off the baseball team, they were saying he committed a very serious offense, And really I would say it’s even more extreme than firing someone from their job because the university had more options for punishment that were meaningful, like a multi-game suspension. What is an employee gonna do if you suspend him for a week? Think he got a vacation? Maybe an unpaid vacation. The university just had more options in readily available punishments that are meaningful.

So when UGA kicked Adam Sasser off the baseball team, they were saying this was a very serious racially hostile event.

Now back to the workplace analogy. Say the guy the company fired for sexual harassment was part of a close knit group of executives, kind of like how sports teams are often close knit. You don’t think it would be odd for the person who was sexually harassed to go over and work for those executives?

And how the NCAA is going to handle it, I have no idea. But it’s certainly a better argument than “somebody yelled at me, I couldn’t hear it, but later I found out”.

And I really don’t know if it’s worth it trying to explain it to you guys the thought process. Guys like BankTimer are just blowing off steam. They’re worked up over this, And I really thought the first time I posted it was enough for you guys to fill in the blanks. But you’re post was reasonable, so there’s the thought process if you’re interested.

• Options
    TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@levander said:

@Bankwalker said:

@levander said:

@Bankwalker said:

@levander said:

@YaleDawg said:

@levander said:
    9> @YaleDawg said:

@levander said:

@Bankwalker said:

@scooterdawg said:

@Bankwalker said:
    In that case he should absolutely be granted a waiver to be eligible immediately - IN BASEBALL.

He's transferring because he is the backup and everyone in the World knows he is transferring because he is the backup. You can't legitimately argue that you need to transfer because you don't feel welcome on the baseball team because of someone who isn't on the baseball team, especially when you haven't ever been on the baseball team to actually experience what you perceive to be allegedly being alleged in order to gain eligibility in a different sport. It's ridiculous, and abusive.

Either way, UGA football is going to be just fine.

He's also not that great of a baseball prospect. Scouts report says, "hand hitch load, tends to be late getting his hands moving forward, has late bat speed and can impact the ball hard when on time. "

I’m with ya on the baseball stuff. I’ll admit that I wasn’t following recruiting too closely last year. I certainly knew JF was a top football prospect but I initially thought they were talking out of their asses and had to google Justin Fields and baseball. There were a few stories about slight interest from scouts but nothing like the Oklahoma kid.

But in the screwed up logic of the NCAA I can see them giving in on it as the path of least resistance. They don’t want the racial headlines to go any further than Georgia does. Blame it on one guy who’s gone, let Fields play next year, and it pretty much goes away without a lot of fuss.

Sounds like Pablo may have had legal advice earlier than last week.

Yet he stayed 3 full months longer and nothing else has happened. Nobody on the baseball team has done anything. Fields didn’t do anything to cause him to get kicked out of school. He would be alleging that the baseball team is racist even though the other players have not done anything to support the claim. Bogus. Im sure they do expect him to be eligible but the facts do not support his case.

No, it shows UGA doesn't tolerate the actions of the individual. A frat kid was punished by the university for brandishing a gun at a party on campus. Does that mean the university is admitting it has a violent environment? No, it shows it won't tolerate violent individuals.

Your Yale educated argument left out how severe the punishment was, and whether or not this “brandishing” was part of a threat against another student.

The simple analogy you’ve given has a hundred different possibilities for answers.t8s just not worth the time to go into.

It doesnt matter though it just highlights this ridiculous notion that punishing an individual is some sort of acknowledgment of endemic racism. By not punishing sasser does it mean UGA isn't racist? I think most people would come to the opposite conclusion if that happened.

You don’t have to prove “endemic” to the NCAA. Nor was that what I was trying to get at. “racially hostile environment” that I used is terminology people have been throwing around as what the NCAA calls it. And just from reading various articles around the Internet, not from personal expertise with NCAA bylaws, you don’t have to prove it’s endemic to prove it’s racially hostile. The NCAA interpretation of that is supposedly pretty broad. Admitting you had a kid so bad you had to kick him off your team seems to me admission you violated a broad interpretation of “racially hostile”.

Is there an actual section in the NCAA bylaws on transferring from a racially hostile environment? You imply that you have read one. If so, do you mind linking that section up? Regardless, one student involved with one incident will never meet that bar. I wouldnt be surprised to learn that many, many student athletes have previously tried to play this card with the NCAA. Think about how often we see the tacic abused in everyday life. This would certainly not be the first time the argument would be presented to the NCAA.
    I find the idea that his case is unique to be laughable. The way this works is that once such a one-off incident was successfully used to gain immediate eligibility, word would spread and then bigotry would be the #1 reason kids list for transferring schools.

Bankwalker, you’re not even reading what you’re responding to are you? I specifically say in there I have no personal expertise with NCAA bylaws.

No, I am reading what I am responding to. YOU are trying to say what threshold is or isnt necessary. My point in asking was to bait you in to admitting that you are just talking out your ass. Your source is literally just crapola you have read on the internet.

Your opinion on this is about as sound as the one where you suggest Kirby should stop recruiting highly rated players once he has another enrolled on campus. Total nonsense.

Boy it’s been awhile since I’ve able to so easily get under someone’s skin. I miss the good ole days.

Good job baiting me into saying something I already said.

Actually, you have no idea. Ive been resisting the urge to point out your consistently flawed logic and short bus comprehension for several months.

One thousand upvotes. Add in the occasional disgusting/**** comment, and you see @levander through the same eyes as me. He once said he wished secret videos of female UGA athletes showering were available on the internet. I was nauseated at this considering my significant other is a female athlete at UGA. I need to figure out how to block his loser ass.

• Options
    HunkerDown1MoreTimeHunkerDown1MoreTime Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TMazz2009 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:
    Does a (god-forbid) injury to Fromm in the sugar bowl and a good performance by Fields change or effects his decision to stay or leave?

Hes staying either way

No way this dude is married. He is waaayyy too stubborn....maybe divorced 3 times....or has millions because no one has married him and took half his stuff.

Married and divorced with 1 daughter. I stand by mom thoughts , Fields staying

• Options

@TMazz2009 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

Hes staying either way

My thoughts

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TMazz2009 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

Hes staying either way

My thoughts

Do you have insider knowledge on this?

• Options

@GrayDawg said:

@TMazz2009 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

Hes staying either way

My thoughts

No , its just my gut feeling , i honestly believe he is staying. I wish i had inside knowledge on it

• Options
    BigDawgHuntinBigDawgHuntin Posts: 94 ✭✭✭ Junior

@GrayDawg said:

@TMazz2009 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

Hes staying either way

My thoughts

No , its just my gut feeling , i honestly believe he is staying. I wish i had inside knowledge on it

Hunker- while I do appreciate your steadfastness, explain why you feel so strongly. It’s either 1) you think Fields is better than Fromm and will win the starting position 2) you anticipate a Fromm injury (which is yet to keep him out of the lineup in the last two years) or 3) you are looking at him to lead in 2020 or 2021. If he stays- he most likely backs up Fromm and gets random (and untimely) snaps, which continues his own frustration. Not only does this stunt his growth- if messes with Fromm’s reps, and even potentially divides the team, coaching staff and Dawg fans for another year. I’m all about what’s best for my Dawgs- but have trouble seeing the benefits after witnessing what went down this past year.

• Options

@BigDawgHuntin said:

@GrayDawg said:

@TMazz2009 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

Hes staying either way

My thoughts

Hunker- while I do appreciate your steadfastness, explain why you feel so strongly. It’s either 1) you think Fields is better than Fromm and will win the starting position 2) you anticipate a Fromm injury (which is yet to keep him out of the lineup in the last two years) or 3) you are looking at him to lead in 2020 or 2021. If he stays- he most likely backs up Fromm and gets random (and untimely) snaps, which continues his own frustration. Not only does this stunt his growth- if messes with Fromm’s reps, and even potentially divides the team, coaching staff and Dawg fans for another year. I’m all about what’s best for my Dawgs- but have trouble seeing the benefits after witnessing what went down this past year.

I already explained this , no of course i DONT think he is better than Fromm. I think imo Fields stays and redshirts in 2019 behind Fromm , then Fromm leaves for the draft and Fields has 3 full years and takes over in 2020 when Fromm is gone. Just my gut feeling and my opinion. Fromm is definately our starter next year and could be in 2020 if he doesnt enter draft

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

@BigDawgHuntin said:

@GrayDawg said:

@TMazz2009 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

Hes staying either way

My thoughts

I already explained this , no of course i DONT think he is better than Fromm. I think imo Fields stays and redshirts in 2019 behind Fromm , then Fromm leaves for the draft and Fields has 3 full years and takes over in 2020 when Fromm is gone. Just my gut feeling and my opinion. Fromm is definately our starter next year and could be in 2020 if he doesnt enter draft

I for one will agree with you. I think bringing in Mathis and Bennett is our security blanket which allows Fields to redshirt and be our guy in 2020 when Fromm goes pro. Transferring without a waiver (which I don’t think he’ll get) makes transferring pointless. Why sit a year and then compete somewhere else when he can do that where he is, plus play in 4 games next year on a chamionship caliber team.

• Options
    BigDawgHuntinBigDawgHuntin Posts: 94 ✭✭✭ Junior

@mattmd2 said:

@BigDawgHuntin said:

@GrayDawg said:

@TMazz2009 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

Hes staying either way

My thoughts

I for one will agree with you. I think bringing in Mathis and Bennett is our security blanket which allows Fields to redshirt and be our guy in 2020 when Fromm goes pro. Transferring without a waiver (which I don’t think he’ll get) makes transferring pointless. Why sit a year and then compete somewhere else when he can do that where he is, plus play in 4 games next year on a chamionship caliber team.

Would agree with you both IF Fields were to redshirt next year. That’s a big “if”.

Want your opinion on this - was/is JF1 considering transferring because he thinks he is better than Fromm and should be playing now, or because game recognizes game, and he realizes he will never be QB1 as long as JF11 is here?

• Options

@BigDawgHuntin said:

@mattmd2 said:

@BigDawgHuntin said:

@GrayDawg said:

@TMazz2009 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

Hes staying either way

My thoughts

Would agree with you both IF Fields were to redshirt next year. That’s a big “if”.

Want your opinion on this - was/is JF1 considering transferring because he thinks he is better than Fromm and should be playing now, or because game recognizes game, and he realizes he will never be QB1 as long as JF11 is here?

Last part...never beat out Fromm

• Options

@mattmd2 said:

@BigDawgHuntin said:

@GrayDawg said:

@TMazz2009 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

Hes staying either way

My thoughts

Exactly my point ive been saying for weeks. Agree totally!!

• Options

@mattmd2 said:

@BigDawgHuntin said:

@GrayDawg said:

@TMazz2009 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

Hes staying either way

My thoughts

Exactly my point ive been saying for weeks. Agree totally!!

Makes no sense to transfer

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawgHuntin said:

@mattmd2 said:

@BigDawgHuntin said:

@GrayDawg said:

@TMazz2009 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

Hes staying either way

My thoughts

I think he’s considering it bc people are telling him he’s better than JF11, but deep down I believe he recognizes JF11 is a baller and it’s a closer call than his supporters will admit. So short version is I think his family/supporters want him to transfer more than he himself does. This is why I agree with @HunkerDown1MoreTime that he finds a way to stay that works out for all.