Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The 2020 QB draft class just got a little more interesting

2»

Comments

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@GrayDawg said:
    If you've ever played a sport you know that the best "athletes" don't always make the best players. It's easy to get caught up in the big arm or the running ability of a QB and overlook the other aspects. Obviously, you'd hope your best player was also your best athlete but it doesn't always work out that way.

Fromm has found a way to be one of the best QBs in college football even without the ability to out athlete everyone he plays. I would wager that translates better to the NFL than the guy who relies on being the best athlete on the field.

I'm going to reiterate @DawginSC 's post:

Jake Fromm's athleticism has been grossly underrated. He is extremely athletic.

I'm not saying he isn't athletic. I'm saying he isn't as athletic as a Justin Fields or a Kyler Murray. What I am saying is that he is still one of the best QBs in college football even though he doesn't depend on superior athleticism to make plays. Being a great football player is a lot more than being a great athlete.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was listening to a podcast this morning that was being co-hosted by former Georgia HC Jim Donnan and he seemed to b real cool on Jake Fromms NFL prospects. Among other things he mentioned that Jake has small hands and may have trouble driving the ball into tight windows on the next level. He also mentioned that Fromm has trouble throwing outside of the pocket and stated that Jake has plenty of work to do to b a viable QB in the NFL even as a backup. Im no scout and cant say 1 way or the other but Id like to think that maybe Donnan is sellin my man a little short but we'll c.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

@GrayDawg said:
    If you've ever played a sport you know that the best "athletes" don't always make the best players. It's easy to get caught up in the big arm or the running ability of a QB and overlook the other aspects. Obviously, you'd hope your best player was also your best athlete but it doesn't always work out that way.

Fromm has found a way to be one of the best QBs in college football even without the ability to out athlete everyone he plays. I would wager that translates better to the NFL than the guy who relies on being the best athlete on the field.

Well said. Sure being 6’ 3 with big hands helps but a good qb has to have it mentally as well as physically.

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Fromm is the best qb in the Sec.clear 1st rd pick next year.he is the General.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@orlando said:

@GrayDawg said:

Well said. Sure being 6’ 3 with big hands helps but a good qb has to have it mentally as well as physically.

6’2” w/small hands and a big brain vs 6’3” w/ big hands and a small brain. Hmmm. Who should I draft?

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

@a_rattler said:
    I still don't get the "Jake Fromm top draft prospect" thing. Fromm is average-above average physically in terms of arm strength and height and he has never either dominated a game - even against pedestrian foes - or put UGA on his back and carried them. To put it another way, Fromm plays for a top 5 program. He is not the reason UGA is a top 5 program.

When responding, please none of these two canards.

1. His leadership/intelligence/intangibles/"he's a winner!"/"The next Tom Brady!" Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. His success hasn't changed the way that NFL teams evaluate QBs because none of the other "next Tom Brady" QBs have done squat in the NFL, just like none of the guys who were supposed to be the next Joe Montana or Drew Brees have. Some guys are just unique. Another thing: plenty of QBs have those same "intangibles/winning traits" AND the physical ability and/or stats to go with it.
    2. You aren't a real UGA fan! Well a "real UGA fan" would realize that Eric Zeier, David Greene, Aaron Murray, Matt Stafford, D.J. Shockley and even Quincy Carter would have benefited mightily from the talent and coaching that UGA has had the past 2 seasons that Fromm has had at his disposal. Murray is the #1 all time SEC passer and #2 isn't close. Greene is #3 and Zeier is #6. They are - collectively and individually - ahead of guys like the Manning brothers, the Florida QBs and even the Kentucky spread guys. Those guys just didn't have a team around them to do their abilities justice.

You want some NFL team to invest a #1 draft pick in a guy who couldn't get better numbers to Riley Ridley, Mecole Hardman, Isaac Nauta and Terry Godwin. As if it is easier to get the ball to guys like that in the NFL or something.

Id argue that against the best defense in Alabama he played exceptionally well. A QB's job is to make the throws. Fromm can make every throw in the book. He has been one of the most accurate QBs in college. He can read defenses pre-and post snap. So basically he has accuracy, intelligence, and arm ability. I think his arm is plenty strong for the NFL. Reading off his measurements and achievements his floor could be a Andy Dalton type and his ceiling Derek Carr. Those are two QBs who have the same builds, arms, and background (collegeite) as Fromm.

This is all from multiple draft sites that peg him as #1 or at latest #4.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Next years class looks loaded more than people realize...
    Best Pocket Passer - Fromm
    Best Mobile QB - Tua
    Best Projection QB - Eason

Other QB's - Patterson, Herbert, Bryant, Hurts, ?Daniel Jones?

Looking for starters in 2 years: Add in Miami, Oakland, NO, DEN, TB, WASH, JAX, NYG
    Looking for backup to bridge 1-5 years: NE, GB, LAC, PIT,

Current Mocks - Tua (DEN), Fromm (MIA), Eason (LAC) they only do 1st round for 2020 so far

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:
    Next years class looks loaded more than people realize...
    Best Pocket Passer - Fromm
    Best Mobile QB - Tua
    Best Projection QB - Eason

Other QB's - Patterson, Herbert, Bryant, Hurts, ?Daniel Jones?

Looking for starters in 2 years: Add in Miami, Oakland, NO, DEN, TB, WASH, JAX, NYG
    Looking for backup to bridge 1-5 years: NE, GB, LAC, PIT,

Current Mocks - Tua (DEN), Fromm (MIA), Eason (LAC) they only do 1st round for 2020 so far

He may not go high but thatvQB from Buffalo has a cannon and is bigger that Cam. Someone will take a flyer on him.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I was thoroughly taken aback at Donnans rather casual dismissal of the idea of Jake as a 1st rounder or even a guy worth taking in the draft at all. He basically said GTFOUH!!! Though he did acknowledge Jake as a great QB for the Dawgs which is what I care about most, but I would really like to see him succeed on the next level as well.