Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Meatball Sub

JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited January 2019 in DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone

Got to say the wife did me right. I asked for something different than the weekly usual. She made meatballs from scratch and used her family recipe for sauce. I over cooked the buns because I got caught up with the kids in her absence, but was still really good.

Comments

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

wheres the invite?

• Options
    ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Awesome, what kind of bread is that yo?

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tough love here: The meat to bread ratio is far too low. Need more meat, otherwise is like a cheese samich with meat flavoring. With meatballs that small - not judging - I would have split in half and stacked them up. Prolly spoon some of that tasty sauce on the top too, with a sprinkle of parsley for color.
    What cheese did you use?

• Options
    DawgsonTopDawgsonTop Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Where’s the beef?

• Options
    LongGoneDawgLongGoneDawg Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looks good, except the bread is cut wrong. You want to take a triangular prism out of the bread so the meat sits in a boat of sorts.

• Options
    BIGDAWG12BIGDAWG12 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

That looks incredible

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Making me think about lunch for today. I add onions and banana peppers to my meatball subs.

The bread looks like the brat and sausage buns I get from Kroger.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I brought my lunch to work but now I'm going to pick something up. Thnx

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everyone like’s their subs different, OP apparently likes them charred and cheesy.

I like mine dry (light sauce) and meaty.

The triangle prism thing is an excellent tip. I’d never figured that out before.

• Options

@ThisDawg said:
    Awesome, what kind of bread is that yo?

Don’t know this dawg bro. The wife bought it from Kroger. All I know is its burnt bread on my part

• Options

@FirePlugDawg said:
    Tough love here: The meat to bread ratio is far too low. Need more meat, otherwise is like a cheese samich with meat flavoring. With meatballs that small - not judging - I would have split in half and stacked them up. Prolly spoon some of that tasty sauce on the top too, with a sprinkle of parsley for color.
    What cheese did you use?

Tough love but I accept it fireplug bro. Never made them before, but turned out well other than the bread. More the meat the better but
    It was getting hairy after slicing the bread. I also used provolone cheese

• Options

@LongGoneDawg said:
    Looks good, except the bread is cut wrong. You want to take a triangular prism out of the bread so the meat sits in a boat of sorts.

interesting and thanks for the pointer. Never done it before

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can we get a recipe here for the meatballs and sauce??

• Options
    DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@NOVADAWG said:
    Shiiiit...I’d be happy if my wife turned the stove on. Looks great!!

If mine turned the stove on, the house would probably catch fire.

• Options
    ColumboColumbo Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hope you can serve those next year at the White House.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dbrown7494 said:

Can't speak for OP, but I combine Progresso Italian bread crumbs with Publix market ground beef (about a 5:2 ratio, beef to crumbs), plus one large egg, all in a mixing bowl. Cook 'em in a skillet on the stove top with a bit of olive oil. Brown both sides then cover and reduce heat. Add marinara and let it all simmer on low heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I have two teenage boys who claim they're the greatest meatballs in the world, and they don't hand out a lot of compliments.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AnotherDawg can I ask what size you do for your meatballs?

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dbrown7494 said:
    @AnotherDawg can I ask what size you do for your meatballs?

I'd say large but nothing crazy, maybe the size of a medium egg. Pound of beef, mixed with the crumbs, should make about a dozen meatballs?

I serve 3-4 meatballs with marinara on a pile of pasta (I prefer linguine or fettuccini). If I were making a meatball sub I might cut them in half.

I agree with OP on provolone as the best cheese option, and I'd buy fresh sub rolls from the grocery's baker. (Publix is the best option where I am, but I know that varies depending on where you live.)

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AnotherDawg said:

@dbrown7494 said:

Can't speak for OP, but I combine Progresso Italian bread crumbs with Publix market ground beef (about a 5:2 ratio, beef to crumbs), plus one large egg, all in a mixing bowl. Cook 'em in a skillet on the stove top with a bit of olive oil. Brown both sides then cover and reduce heat. Add marinara and let it all simmer on low heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I have two teenage boys who claim they're the greatest meatballs in the world, and they don't hand out a lot of compliments.

So, you've discussed cars for at least one of them, have you?