Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

AAF - Any Thoughts on It?

SpikedDawgSpikedDawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior
edited January 2019 in General

I don't think this has been covered yet by other posters but what is everyone's impression about the Alliance of American Football (AAF) that's coming this next month? I know they're gonna be shown on CBS and my fiance and I plan to go to the home opening game for Atlanta Legends but just wanted to see what everyone else thought about it. I'm fairly excited to see Sanders, Murray, Swann, Mauger, Carter, and Nizialek all out on the field again.

Comments

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SpikedDawg said:
    I don't think this has been covered yet by other posters but what is everyone's impression about the Alliance of American Football (AAF) that's coming this next month? I know they're gonna be shown on CBS and my fiance and I plan to go to the home opening game for Atlanta Legends but just wanted to see what everyone else thought about it. I'm fairly excited to see Sanders, Murray, Swann, Mauger, Carter, and Nizialek all out on the field again.

I'm not necessarily excited, but glad there's football in the off-season.

• SpikedDawgSpikedDawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Teddy said:

My main question I suppose is do you think it will last? I hope it does because the off-season is absolutely dreadful for those who don't really enjoy baseball or etcetera.

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

@SpikedDawg said:
    I'm fairly excited to see Sanders, Murray, Swann, Mauger, Carter, and Nizialek all out on the field again.

Are they all playing for the Atlanta team?

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I for one hate etcetera.

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

@SpikedDawg said:
    I'm fairly excited to see Sanders, Murray, Swann, Mauger, Carter, and Nizialek all out on the field again.

Yup! Along with quite a few Tech, West Georgia, and Georgia Southern players.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SpikedDawg said:

@Teddy said:

My main question I suppose is do you think it will last? I hope it does because the off-season is absolutely dreadful for those who don't really enjoy baseball or etcetera.

No clue if it lasts, but if I had to guess, I'd say no it will not last. Purely speculating of course.

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

@SpikedDawg said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

@SpikedDawg said:

Yup! Along with quite a few Tech, West Georgia, and Georgia Southern players.

Dang, the only one I heard about was Nizialek. I'm pumped then!

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

They have a tv deal. As long as people set their expectations appropriately, it should be fine. They are doing smart things by signing local boys to be on the team. The Atlanta team itself has many former dawgs.

if it doesn't work, XFL starts back up next year

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

Dang, the only one I heard about was Nizialek. I'm pumped then!

I am too! I expect players to probably be rusty to an extent. Just hope it can be a nice spring football league - better than the shudder arena football league.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Meh. By this time I’m kind of ready for the offseason. I’m glad former Dawgs are getting a chance to keep playing, but it won’t be appointment TV.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trent Thompson is on Arizona.

@MIghtydawg said:
    Trent Thompson is on Arizona.

I am so glad he did get a good professional chance.

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SpikedDawg said:

@Teddy said:

It’s not really built to compete with the NFL, the regionalizing of talent is a fantastic idea IMHO (for example, the ATL and Birmingham teams have several memorable collage players) and the rules are designed to favor the offense so there should be plenty of scoring. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@VaBeachDawg said:

@SpikedDawg said:

@Teddy said:

It’s not really built to compete with the NFL, the regionalizing of talent is a fantastic idea IMHO (for example, the ATL and Birmingham teams have several memorable collage players) and the rules are designed to favor the offense so there should be plenty of scoring. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.

So long as it doesn't try to compete with the NFL, and they put a good product out there they should be fine. I think there is space for a second league that plays in the spring that can help develop players who aren't yet good enough to play in the NFL

• finesse92finesse92 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭ Junior

Was looking at this the other day and honestly, I love the idea of it and am gonna give it a shot. We'll see, but it sure looks like it's gonna be a good product... Go Legends!

@finesse92 said:
    Was looking at this the other day and honestly, I love the idea of it and am gonna give it a shot. We'll see, but it sure looks like it's gonna be a good product... Go Legends!

I think so, too. With the aforementioned regionalization of talent, it gives the fans of local colleges the happiness of seeing players "make it." It also will just be nice to see an offense friendly league unlike the NFL while also giving fans something to look forward to during the spring months.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

February football in an outdoor stadium. Not yet willing to commit to that.

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No interest. I'd rather watch paint dry.

• shhmittyshhmitty Posts: 284 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'll definitely give it a shot. I'm regulated to watching absolutely no sports until NHRA, and NASCRAP starts in late February.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey, it's football in the spring. I also agree that it's a brilliant move to sign popular but also decent local players to draw interest. They're also playing in the old Turner Field stadium which makes it a fairly easy drive for me. I may take my girls to a game or two. Why not?