Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Are tutors pressured in to completing coursework for athletes?

RoyGaffRoyGaff Posts: 151 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not just Missouri, but nationwide.

Are tutors pressured in to completing coursework for athletes? 16 votes

Yes
56% 9 votes
No
31% 5 votes
I'm still waiting for Donnen to give me my money back on that failed investment scheme.
12% 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Auburn has developed breeze majors just for the football players. Zero chance Mizz is an isolated incident.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tutors are often pressured to make sure their students pass. Whether their students are athletes or not. It’s a lot of times the whole point of hiring a tutor.

What I’ve read about the Mizzou lady, she didn’t make it clear what the difference was between the usual pressure and the pressure she received. There are just sentences in the articles about how she claims she was “groomed” to do what she did.

One thing a lot of people have seen is you watch that show Last Chance U, and the academic advisors aren’t tutors. But there are a few scenes in there where the academic advisors they’ve had are stressing out about student athletes passing.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anybody interview Jan Kemp about this?

• Options
    MentokMentok Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’ve had a couple of tutors as baby sitters for my kids. They were both grad students and I never got the sense there was any pressure on them to complete work for the athletes here in Athens. They put a lot of pressure on the athletes to get the work done, not the other way around.Anyway, I know it’s anecdotal but that’s my experience.

Doing something like the lady at Mizzou harms a ton of people more than it helps a few.

• Options
    RedBlackDawgRedBlackDawg Posts: 354 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’ve not researched the details of the whole Mizzou affair. But back in my day, if something like this happened, both the tutor AND the student would have probably been expelled from said college, at the very least, the student would have immediately been flunked out of the class. Aren’t there 2 guilty parties here, the tutor AND the student? Did the student not know that the tutor took their tests for them? Is this not more evidence that student athletes are sometimes treated like royalty? These same student athletes that some call “slaves” to the athletic department and university?

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RedBlackDawg said:
    I’ve not researched the details of the whole Mizzou affair. But back in my day, if something like this happened, both the tutor AND the student would have probably been expelled from said college, at the very least, the student would have immediately been flunked out of the class. Aren’t there 2 guilty parties here, the tutor AND the student? Did the student not know that the tutor took their tests for them? Is this not more evidence that student athletes are sometimes treated like royalty? These same student athletes that some call “slaves” to the athletic department and university?

It was also once said that slaves had it good...they were given a place to live and food to eat...just sayin'

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

HDAWG said:

Anybody interview Jan Kemp about this?

Beat me to it.

Kemp was the best friend today's UGA athletes ever had, Vince Dooley was their enemy, and most will never understand that truth.

• Options

@RedBlackDawg said:

I don't know when your day was, but our 1980 national title was won with 9 players who should have been ineligible because of failing grades.
    This was at the heart of the Jan Kemp affair and today Vince Dooley would be fired with cause over something similar to what he at least allowed, and likely was the chief facilitator.

• Options

@Bankwalker said:
    Auburn has developed breeze majors just for the football players. Zero chance Mizz is an isolated incident.

''Sports' management '', it was our go to course to keep players eligible for many years.

• Options

@donm said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

It was also once said that slaves had it good...they were given a place to live and food to eat...just sayin'

Right.....conflating modern student athletes with African American slaves. Yeah that’s a valid argument (snark). These poor student-athletes: all you can eat food and snacks, free room and board, stipend in the thousands of dollars, free health insurance, free tutors (who apparently, can take tests for you as well), oh and not to mention a free education, if the athlete wants to take on that endeavor seriously. All that suffering!!!

• Options
    edited February 2019

@RedBlackDawg said:

@donm said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

Right.....conflating modern student athletes with African American slaves. Yeah that’s a valid argument (snark). These poor student-athletes: all you can eat food and snacks, free room and board, stipend in the thousands of dollars, free health insurance, free tutors (who apparently, can take tests for you as well), oh and not to mention a free education, if the athlete wants to take on that endeavor seriously. All that suffering!!!

House slaves had it good....right ?
    I agree it's a conflation, but I also think athletes have been exploited, and to some extent they still are. The system hides behind the university/educational shield to get by with something that would never be allowed otherwise.
    The only reason stipends were hurried through was to tamp down a growing movement that might have led to the issues being settled in courts of law.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

I don't know when your day was, but our 1980 national title was won with 9 players who should have been ineligible because of failing grades.
    This was at the heart of the Jan Kemp affair and today Vince Dooley would be fired with cause over something similar to what he at least allowed, and likely was the chief facilitator.

When I mean “my day” (early 80’s), the average “student” would be expelled for these types of shenanigans. Not these student athletes back in the day or presently. You missed my point, there were apparently 2 parties in this subterfuge, the student and the tutor. Only the tutor gets punished? These poor “slaves”....

• Options
    edited February 2019

@RedBlackDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

When I mean “my day” (early 80’s), the average “student” would be expelled for these types of shenanigans. Not these student athletes back in the day or presently. You missed my point, there were apparently 2 parties in this subterfuge, the student and the tutor. Only the tutor gets punished? These poor “slaves”....

No, there were 3 parties, the program was behind the cheating, Vince Dooley never had to answer for his role in allowing players to go through UGA and come out illiterate.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

@donm said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

I agree it's a conflation, but I also think athletes have been exploited, and to some extent they still are. The system hides behind the university/educational shield to get by with something that would never be allowed otherwise.
    The only reason stipends were hurried through was to tamp down a growing movement that might have caused the issue to be settled in courts of law.

I agree with you to a point. As I posted before, if the “athletes are slaves” crowd is so outraged, eliminate the whole “student-athlete” facade and create a semi-pro league sponsored by the universities. “The Bulldogs affiliated with UGA”
    Pay them whatever salary the market will bear, and if they want to go to the school that they’re affiliated with, first they must qualify like everyone else, then they must do it on their own dime and time. But I don’t buy into this notion that the present system (with all the benefits they get) is exploitative....that’s nonsense

• Options

@RedBlackDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

@donm said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

The only reason stipends were hurried through was to tamp down a growing movement that might have caused the issue to be settled in courts of law.

I agree with you to a point. As I posted before, if the “athletes are slaves” crowd is so outraged, eliminate the whole “student-athlete” facade and create a semi-pro league sponsored by the universities. “The Bulldogs affiliated with UGA”
    Pay them whatever salary the market will bear, and if they want to go to the school that they’re affiliated with, first they must qualify like everyone else, then they must do it on their own dime and time. But I don’t buy into this notion that the present system (with all the benefits they get) is exploitative....that’s nonsense

So much wrong with that post. Many of you either have little knowledge of the history of collusive monopolies or simply ignore the obvious. When one side has all the controls and simply gives the second party what it chooses to without having to bargain with the second party, it goes against everything the free market stands for.

• Options

A> @WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

No, there were 3 parties, the program was behind the cheating, Vince Dooley never had to answer for his role in allowing players to go through UGA and come out illiterate.

Agreed, but you’re talking about events from 40 years ago. There are many “student-athletes” today that DO get an education, don’t go to the league, and then leverage their scholarship education (along with the networking of being a UGA football alum) into productive and fruitful lives. Of course, their are still many athletes, who don’t finish school or take it seriously, and are barely literate, even though they have the best housing, meal plan, free tutoring, etc that the average student doesn’t have. That’s called free will.....

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, it’s sad. Apparently, there a brand new case that’s going to be costing Missouri this year. There have been some infamous cases like the one in the early 1980s at Georgia. I would hope that it isn’t as widespread as it once was, but (like a lot of other things) I have zero firsthand knowledge one way, or the other.

• Options
    edited February 2019

@RedBlackDawg said:
    A> @WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

Agreed, but you’re talking about events from 40 years ago. There are many “student-athletes” today that DO get an education, don’t go to the league, and then leverage their scholarship education (along with the networking of being a UGA football alum) into productive and fruitful lives. Of course, their are still many athletes, who don’t finish school or take it seriously, and are barely literate, even though they have the best housing, meal plan, free tutoring, etc that the average student doesn’t have. That’s called free will.....

There were many student athletes who got a good education and didn't play pro ball in 1980, the scam was in keeping many who weren't making grades eligible. Dooley like most adhered to the idea that it was there if they wanted it, he like most felt no responsibility to force players to do the work.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

@donm said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

So much wrong with that post. Many of you either have little knowledge of the history of collusive monopolies or simply ignore the obvious. When one side has all the controls and simply gives the second party what it chooses to without having to bargain with the second party, it goes against everything the free market stands for.

Uh....I said that under my proposal, the players can make whatever salary the market will bear. Fromm and Swift make a lot, the long snapper not so much. And I’m sure there would be a players union to represent their interests.