Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Are tutors pressured in to completing coursework for athletes?

2»

Comments

• Options
    RedBlackDawgRedBlackDawg Posts: 354 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:
    A> @WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:
    I’ve not researched the details of the whole Mizzou affair. But back in my day, if something like this happened, both the tutor AND the student would have probably been expelled from said college, at the very least, the student would have immediately been flunked out of the class. Aren’t there 2 guilty parties here, the tutor AND the student? Did the student not know that the tutor took their tests for them? Is this not more evidence that student athletes are sometimes treated like royalty? These same student athletes that some call “slaves” to the athletic department and university?

I don't know when your day was, but our 1980 national title was won with 9 players who should have been ineligible because of failing grades.
    This was at the heart of the Jan Kemp affair and today Vince Dooley would be fired with cause over something similar to what he at least allowed, and likely was the chief facilitator.

When I mean “my day” (early 80’s), the average “student” would be expelled for these types of shenanigans. Not these student athletes back in the day or presently. You missed my point, there were apparently 2 parties in this subterfuge, the student and the tutor. Only the tutor gets punished? These poor “slaves”....

No, there were 3 parties, the program was behind the cheating, Vince Dooley never had to answer for his role in allowing players to go through UGA and come out illiterate.

Agreed, but you’re talking about events from 40 years ago. There are many “student-athletes” today that DO get an education, don’t go to the league, and then leverage their scholarship education (along with the networking of being a UGA football alum) into productive and fruitful lives. Of course, their are still many athletes, who don’t finish school or take it seriously, and are barely literate, even though they have the best housing, meal plan, free tutoring, etc that the average student doesn’t have. That’s called free will.....

There were many student athletes who got a good education and didn't play pro ball in 1980, the scam was in keeping many who weren't making grades eligible. Dooley like most adhered to the idea that it was there if they wanted it, he like most felt no responsibility to force players to do the work.

Of course, and that still happens today!!! You have some (albeit few) student athletes that major in say, electrical engineering, where the work load is very hard. You have others that major in “recreational studies” where the workload is a joke. Again, free will.....

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@christopherules said:
    Yes, it’s sad. Apparently, there a brand new case that’s going to be costing Missouri this year. There have been some infamous cases like the one in the early 1980s at Georgia. I would hope that it isn’t as widespread as it once was, but (like a lot of other things) I have zero firsthand knowledge one way, or the other.

I have zero doubt UGA is better now than in those times when it was operating under the philosophy that the opportunity is there, it's up to the player to take advantage, while secretly helping them cheat.
    Interesting the 2 most vilified people in UGA history, Kemp and President Adams were the 2 essential reformers in our history.

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah the Jimmies and Joes r too busy preparing for the NFL and keeping their coaches employed to b bogged down with a bunch of school work. Their school work takes place in practice, film study, S&C and the games. Fact.