Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

anyone here like bourbon?

Comments

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

you should buy a resale because it is def. not readily avail in most of the country and goes for 4x that on many forums and groups for buying/selling

I am in Cola, SC and Weller SR seems to be available a handful of times per year

• Options

well, I am jealous

I have never even seen Elmer T Lee in stores, let alone the Pappy

In fact, don't think I have seen any of those 4 in stores

• Options
    dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To each his own.

I don’t care for sweet spirits or sweet cocktails. My wife likes those. I like my spirits dry and neat. If anything, just a single drop or two of water too open the flavor up. Never anything more than that.

So for a guy like me, who doesn’t believe in compromising the bourbon with mixers or even water/ice, Basel is the ticket. Those of my friends who don’t drink bourbon because of its sweetness, when I’ve served them Basel they were pretty blown away. Most swear it has to be a rye when they first taste it. I think most of ‘em all keep it in their bars at home now.

It’s a bit on the pricey side, but there’s a good reason for that. To the best of my knowledge you can’t buy a more dry bourbon in their competitive price set (or less)..

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So price wise, proof, and smoothness how would you compare Weller and McKenna bib to something like Crown? And @BigDawg747 mentioned the blue label Mitcher but I've never had it. I want something strong but smooth. I don't mix or chase. I just really enjoy smooth whiskey ya can sip all night, but will definitely feel it lol.

• Options
    BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

4grain absolutely lives up to the hype. It is very sweet on the palate, with just enough spice on the backend to keep you coming back for more. Brown sugar, caramel, red fruits, then oak, and rye. Is it too early in the morning to go and get a taste?

• Options

To each their own. I don't drink a lot of really low proof bourbons. My wife likes those. I prefer something stronger and with more flavor. Some people prefer weak drinks though. And no where in the post your quoted did I mention sweet drinks. Awfully pretentious of you.

And it is spelled Basil. How do you keep getting it wrong?

• Options

Crown is going to have nothing in common with McKenna or Weller. They are made very differently.

I am not the biggest fan of most Canadian whiskeys. But McKenna BiB especially is smooth and for me there is not another bourbon in that price range that is as enjoyable to sip on

• Options

For those who don't add water to their bourbon like it is a badge of honor. It was watered down long before you bought it, especially those low proof bourbons

• Options

"Is it too early in the morning to go and get a taste?"

Nope. Ever watch Justified or Mad Men? They drink all the time! Plus, someone like me has been up since 4:15 and already put in an hour workout. I'll have a dram with you haha

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks man, Didn't mean Crown was anything like American whiskey's. It's just always been smooth to me and I was looking for something to compare it to. Maybe Jack would have been a better example.

• Options

@macdawg15 ha well Jack would not be but I do understand what you mean. I was just trying to clarify that they might both be smooth but the flavor profile will be drastically different. And smooth for bourbon is different than smooth for scotch or canadian whiskey. And even with bourbon a low proof bourbon like Basil Hayden is much different than a masculine barrel proof bourbon like the Elijah Craig barrel proof line (closer to $70 but considered one of the best money can buy)

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My opinion is that Blanton’s is the best for the money. I get lucky every once in a while and get it for 45 dollars a bottle on the shelf

• Options

hard to argue, it is fantastic

some places it is nigh impossible to find while readily available in others

The elijah craig I mentioned is only released 3x per year, I believe. Was bourbon of the year in 2017. Harder to find and more expensive too. it can be hard to compared limited releases to bottles that are produced year round. Same with comparing single barrels, which vary by batch, to blends which should be more consistent

complicated world, whiskey is haha

• Options
    edited February 2019

Thanks for the spell check, though I’m not quite sure why you keep assuming low proof. I drink 80 proof (zoom in on pic that I just snapped, apologies if it's sideways).

As far as “pretentious” take a gander at your initial post at me. I love guys who dish it out but can’t take it. But if you want pretentiousness here’s some for you – I’ve attended every wine & food festival around the country multiple times, where there are dozens of spirit brands being poured inside their tents. I may have spit more bourbon (and wine) back into spittoons at tastings and festivals around the country than you’ve swallowed in your lifetime. And no, I didn’t attend these festivals/tastings because I’m some pretentious consumer, I attended because I was in the industry and was required to attend for business.

But keep on posting arrogant messages at me. I’m always open-minded and curious to learn more, even from a guy posting about bourbon on a college football forum.

Good day to you.

• Options
    edited February 2019

I am sure you know a lot about swallowing and spitting

And my initial post to you was not snarky., you are just feminine in nature. For someone who is an expert you have misspelled Basil multiple times.

And anyone who know about bourbon would know 80 is low. A lot of women like that. Not too strong for their delicate palettes

• Options

goodness, you were offended by this? this was pretentious and got you riled up? that I said I liked it but felt was $10-$15 too much but that I recommend it to people who are trying it neat or on the rocks for the first time?

please point to exactly where in this post you felt I insulted you

• Options
    edited February 2019
  • Options
    edited February 2019
  • Options

Well, there you go, such a clever and witty comeback. My bad on typing that it was your initial post. It was your second post that I found ironic about your calling mine pretentious. And after reading your last post – well, who’s the one riled up?

Look I’m not into online p.issing matches, life’s too short, so enjoy your day and go Dawgs.

• Options