Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Anthony Edwards Commits to UGA

13»

Comments

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • lightspeednatelightspeednate Posts: 26 ✭ Freshman
    edited March 2019

If they can snag an experienced point guard to go with Edwards, this will be a top 10-15 team. But I think without a point guard, they may be an 8-9 seed in the tournament.

Look at what Bone did with the Vols this season and what Waters did with LSU.

Bama went and got Shackelford for the 2019 class, who I am super high on, he's Justin Robinson like.

Watch out for bama next year. Everyone talks Kentucky, Tennessee and Auburn, LSU but Bama will be up there too.

A good Starting PG, can be the difference between a top 15 team and a top 40 team.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the team this year had a better ball handler it would have been worth 4 -6 wins imo. I love Claxton's game, but him handling the ball in the final seconds outside the arc has been trouble every time.

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

i’m sold on Tyson Jolly or a grad transfer PG.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Results aren't there outside the Florida win but since Crean seemingly threw most of the team under the bus, it's coming around. If it weren't for Nic Claxton, Jordan Harris would have made the biggest strides. If Georgia can add a good grad transfer PG or Tyson Jolly, I REALLY like the way this looks:

grand transfer or Jolly/Edwards/Walton/Hammonds/Claxton

Crump/Harris (could also be a 3/D starter instead of Walton)/Camara/Ngumezi? (he actually might transfer because his attitude frustrates people)

However, there's more questions to go and at least 2 or even 3 grad transfers could be needed, depending on if Ngumezi stays or not. Gonna need at least 1 post for depth purposes and COULD possibly use another shooter. I REALLY like Claxton's NBA prospects, but he's still raw and has more to work on, so hopefully he stays for a 3rd year.

• lightspeednatelightspeednate Posts: 26 ✭ Freshman

Yeah I think if Claxton was putting up 15-20 points a game, I’d be a lot more worried about him leaving. But with the incoming class that they have, it’d be pretty dumb for him to leave now. He has the opportunity to improve his stock so much more, while playing with some much better young talent around him.

I also Agree with you on Jordan Harris, he’s been very productive offensively and defensively in the second half of the season...., hopefully him and Crump will be bring big time senior leadership next season whether it’s off the bench or starting (less likely). Remember: Crean barely even had J. Harris in the rotation at the beginning of the season, so I really appreciate him for what he is. A very efficient 15-20 minute guy.

And 2-3 grad transfers is possible and would be a good situation for a player to enter into. I actually think a grad transfer would greatly benefit from a school like UGA over the blue bloods, because they want a team that they’ll have a big role on, and a team that’s going to make the big dance. They’re probably going to get both on UGA, if that said player is a big target.

If you look at Nevada this year, they had like 4 transfers and they’ve been a top 10 team all year until recently. But the Martin brothers and Jordan Caroline (all seniors that have already been there) hog the ball handling so much, it ended up being a bad career choice for those incoming transfers. I think most of the transfers don’t even see the court much outside of like Jazz Johnson.

But I think Nevada is a good example of how the NCAA isn’t so much about the name brand teams anymore, any given year can be any schools year if they have the right attractions. It’s often a snowball effect, one player follows after another.

Unlike Nevada- UGA has tons of talent, but minimal high ball control guys. So a transfer could potentially come here and be a high volume ball control guy on a ranked team. And even if they’re not a bigtime scorer, you have Edwards, Claxton and Hammonds to feed the ball to.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mercy, I hope Crean recruits well. Late in second half and Dawgs have 30 on the board against a poor Missouri team.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well it was coming around before tonight. Like I said this team is struggling even worse than Kirby's first year with the new regime deal. Talent is some, but not all of it. The guys that don't leave (via transfer), he's going to have to recover them mentally as they have value they can bring, it could be even better in a lesser role, and they need to be "with us" mentally.

Yeah, Hammonds being out really shows the lack of talent beyond the top few. I have tickets to the SEC tourney first round, that may have been a mistake.

• TuckyDawgTuckyDawg Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The team I saw last night was an embarrassment to the G. I know we dont have a lot of talent, but we looked like a pick up team, on the playground.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve picked up with teams on the playground that could beat that bunch I watched last night.

There are 2 games left, they cannot afford to look like that again. That looked like a team that just plain didn't care.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just listened to the interview BA did with him the other day. Humble, well raised sounding kid. Excited to see him suit up for the Dawgs.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It'd be great for the team to both have a breakthrough season AND the top draft pick in next year's draft. I don't see us winning The SEC in 2019/2020, but competing, being fun to watch and heading in the right direction would be a welcome change.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

remember when the NBA had territorial draft rights? The Hawks could clean up on local GA talent.