Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

As a lifelong Die-Hard Braves fan...

LongGoneDawgLongGoneDawg Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

This lineup looks potently scary...

1. 2B Cesar Hernandez (15 HR, .253/.356/.362)
  2. SS Jean Segura (10 HR, .304/.341/.415)
  3. RF Bryce Harper (34 HR, .249/.393/.496)
  4. 1B Rhys Hoskins (34 HR, .246/.354/.496)
  5. C J.T. Realmuto (21 HR, .277/.340/.484)
  6. LF Andrew McCutchen (20 HR, .255/.368/.424)
  7. CF Odubel Herrera (22 HR, .255/.310/.420)
  8. 3B Maikel Franco (22 HR, .270/.314/.467)
  9. Pitcher's spot

Comments

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm hoping the Philly fans turn on Harper quickly.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This deal makes them the odd on favorite in the NLE imo.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I dont mind saying I hope he pulls up lame early on. He has $330 million reasons to be fine going fishing.

On a more serious note - what MLB star has ever sogned a 10 year co tract and still been earning every penny at the end of the deal? Pujols has fallen apart. I think the incentive to stay in top shape and the drive to be the best is hindered when the player is given that much security.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

You should be listing the Mets lineup. We (they) are going to be sneaking up on errrybody

Other than the steroid guys, no one. Father time is just not kind. These kinds of deals are all about marketing and really having the first few years at 1.5 times their salary spread out over the rest of the contract. No way he is worth anything close to that in 10 years.

• law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why cant the Braves sign guys like this?

I'm more than happy not to give that contract out. Now Mike Trout.......throw the bank account to him

• KingKirbyKingKirby Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

If Harper wasn't lazy, he wouldn't have been awful at defense in his early to mid 20s. Now that he's signed his final contract and is guaranteed $330M for the remainder of his career, he's likely going to get so much lazier. Not worried about him one bit.

Plus, even if he was good, I wouldn't want that **** on the Braves. Now that he's a Phil, I can hate him even more than I have to date.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Those MLB contracts blow my mind

• LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Those Nationals teams were fearful but they never reached their potential. Maybe the Phillies will be also.

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This will make the Phillies a lot better for the next 5 years, after that I think it will set them back as he begins to decline and continues to **** up all their money. At that time, I think we'll all be glad we didn't get wrapped up in a contract like this as they struggle to rebuild and we continue to be a dominant team. That said, they're definitely going to be a very strong contender for the next few years and we should have some great battles with them going forward. Bring it!

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

We could well have 3 players with close to or exceeding 30 hr each, Freeman, Donaldson and Acuna all have the potential to have big seasons.

Markakis, Flowers Inciarte, Camargo and Culberson all have decent to good OBP, Markakis, Flowers and Culberson have pretty good pop as well.

Swanson and Ablies need to get on base at better rates, Camargo could solve the SS problem.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Swansons gonna solve the SS problem. He hasn't lived up to his #1 overall draft pick status YET and maybe he never will but Im expecting him to hit .275 with 15 hr 70 rbi and score 80 runs on top of his stellar defense at short. He's a hometown kid so lets get behind this guy as he and his young teammates try to make the Braves great again.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MeR- I hope Swanson breaks through, but management shouldn't play favorites. They need to make a cold eyed business/baseball decision on who gives the team the best chance at winning night in night out at SS.

• georgiajeepngeorgiajeepn Posts: 33 ✭✭ Sophomore

The Phillies are now the new Nationals minus the pitching. The Nationals are now the Phillies without the hitting. The Braves improved enough to still win the division.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I see Harper giving a good 3-4 years to the Phillies before he starts sitting out A LOT or just falls off the cliff with performance or drive. Especially if Philly doesn’t win a championship or gets in a bad financial spot where he is the only star.