Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ARRESTED: Malkom Parrish

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Denman, you might want to review your math ( it's 5 times more likely to die of gun violence if your other numbers are correct), but your point is valid.

• Options
    corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not to be that guy but 40 times 60 is 2400. 40 times 5 is 200. Did you mean 2400 instead of 200?

• Options

The latest stats on gun homicide rates ( FBI figures) have The US at roughly 45 times the rate of The United Kingdom. So if a city of 1 million in this country had 450 gun murders a corresponding city of 1 million in The United Kingdom could expect to have just 10.

• Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

Tell that to my wife (former law enforcement, which carries on campus now) whom attends GA State law school in the evenings/night and has to walk by all the creepy homeless people, junkies, thugs, etc. on the sidewalks going to and from class and to get back to her vehicle in the parking garage. There's always a robbery or some kind of shooting being reported almost daily up there on campus. Try putting yourself in someone elses situation/shoes for once, especially that of a woman, at night in downtown Atlanta. What good was being able to legally carry, but having to keep it in your vehicle because you can't bring it with you to class? That's how it used to be, and I'm glad former Gov. Deal finally got this new law passed. An extra piece of mind knowing that my wife can protect herself if need be. Competition shooter at Gunsite; I know I wouldn't want to mess with her. Also, wouldn't your mind be more at ease if you knew a responsible gun owner & possible classmate could protect you while walking to class, and/or quickly eliminate the threat of someone kicking down the classroom door and attempting to take out everyone who's defenseless inside? Even people who work in law enforcement during the day but take classes at night, carry into campus classrooms. So why shouldn't responsible gun owners be able to also? Well now they can. Don't get me wrong here though, I'm sure some folks may feel nervous and apprehensive with the uncertainty of not knowing which one(s) of their classmates might be carrying concealed and thinks they might go AWOL on them and knock up the place. I get it, and that's understandable some would feel that way. But to me, I feel like its extremely unlikely that a responsible gun owner who took all the necessary legal steps to finally be able to carry on campus now, would ever go off the rails. Not saying it couldn't ever happen, but I just don't see it anytime soon. Until then, I'll keep supporting the 2nd amendment and campus carry, even with its limitations.

Now back to Parrish, we don't have all the details yet, so it would be wise not to speculate/debate this until its over with. It could be a simple case of him knowing it's absolutely legal to campus carry now (on specific GA campuses), but not being fully educated in the limitations of where he can/can't have the firearm on campus, such as in an arena building. But here's another head scratcher, I was under the impression that he's already graduated? If so, then why was he on campus with it? Again, we don't know his intentions, so I won't go there yet. But still, there's a huge difference between being a responsible vs. unresponsible gun owner. Responsible owners either keep them on their person at all times, or usually locked in a safe when not. This situation sounds like it falls into the unresponsible category for Parrish, unfortunately. Then again, all we know is what was reported.

I'm sure some of you have noticed that I haven't participated on here much lately, mostly because of all the redundant off season topics taking over, but I still pop in time to time to see if these forums have gotten back to focusing on football. I see they haven't changed much, which is really a bummer. However, when single minded comments/opinions like these quoted above are carelessly made about people being "off their rocker" for having the right to protect themselves now on campus, I felt compelled to bring to light my household's real world scenario so that (maybe) people will be a little more open minded to campus carry. This is a daily situation for us until graduation. Now my wife has the ability to protect herself, if ever needed. If she feels more safe because of this law, then so do I. Thank you Mr. Deal and GA legislation.

• Options

Ironic, the longest post comes from a guy who doesn't like non-football threads.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are over 12000 gun homicides in US compared with 200 in UK if you adjust for US population being 5 times as many (40*5=200). That’s 60 times 12000/200 per capita.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I lived in England from 1983-86. I didn't feel any safer there than I do here. People need to stop portraying the USA as the untamed wild west where death awaits you at every turn.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Countless insults? You're exaggerating. This is a pretty darn civil discussion.

According to the CDC, in 2015, homicide rates were 5.7 deaths per 100,000 for the total population, 20.9 for non-Hispanic blacks, 4.9 for Hispanics, and 2.6 for non-Hispanic whites.  Somewhere between 65-70% of homicides involve firearms.

A lot of people have trouble agreeing with the need to give up their own constitutional rights when they aren't contributing to the problem.

It's not just guns and the US will never be like the UK. The non-firearm homicide rate in the US is also way out of proportion compared to other countries. We also have a near monopoly on serial killers. Why is that? There's something in the water here. Seriously. Another little known fact is that 100% of people who DRINK WATER eventually die. I'm telling ya. There's something to this water thing.

• Options

pg. facts matter, stats are facts.

• Options

The rate in Europe as a whole is less than 1 regardless of race.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just saying if you think you are safer in Europe, you need to go for a visit. The majority of violent crime in this country is focused in certain specific high-crime areas. The other 95% of the country is pretty darn quiet and safe.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My buddy in Middle Ga rarely locks his front door. When he comes to visit here in Atlanta I have to remind him every time to empty everything out of his car because they will come break your car windows just because they see a better flashlight than the one they are carrying. Seriously, I had a window broken and the only thing to steal was a flashlight, which they did and politely left their crappy one behind for me to use.

• Options
    corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I never used to lock my door. Didn't start doing it until I got married. The wife is a hypochondriac so she stresses if the door is unlocked while we are home.

• Options

I lived there 38 years and never felt unsafe. Facts matter; it is safer!

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We aren't getting rid of guns in this country, that ship has sailed, so the England argument is a non-starter here.

I expect gun owners to be responsible with their weapon. Leaving it in an unlocked car is irresponsible, leaving it in a bag and forgetting it is irresponsible, especially when you show up to the airport with that bag. Always, know where your weapons are. I'd argue, leaving it in your unattended locked car isn't particularly responsible, but there are situations where that would be necessary.

A handgun is for self defense or fun at the range.

Personally I think having it out for show creates a bad environment, but I can see other arguments.

For what it's worth, for 98% of this thread it has been a civil discussion, I'm happy about that. No need to insult other groups or put words into other people's mouths.

• Options
  • Options

pg..I KNOW Europe is safer than The US. Statistics are facts.

The UK had 450% fewer intentional murders per capita in 2016 than in The US, that is actually higher than Western Europe's average. Of course in any country where you're at and your life style are huge factors. In Cave Spring my risk of being a victim was almost nonexistent. If I went to a dangerous area of Atlanta to buy meth, my risk would be exponentially greater. That is why we cook our own meth in small towns...😁