Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

If you could go back...

corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Would you play HS football again? I have heard several guys at the "water cooler" talk about how they would go back and play. I'm in the opposite camp. The older I get the more I am like, "Man my body hurts." I wouldn't trade those days and memories for anything, but I wouldn't play another tackle football game again just for fun.

Comments

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

At 0:34

As to my view, I have no regrets over playing HS FB. Would have wished the coach we had (varsity) when I was a sophomore had stayed.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I could go back to HS me, 100% would do it all over again.

Would I play a game now, not a chance.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

did not play, would not change anything

I wrestled 125 in high school. Wrestling paid for part of my college.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would not have, wish I had spent more time on the sports I enjoyed playing more. I was not a fan of our coaching staff, felt there was a lot of screaming and not much actual coaching going on. I played because I was an athlete and you were supposed to play.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I played DDB, it wasn't nearly as punishing as other positions. My injuries and wear came from other sports after high school. I'd play again for sure.

• NomadDawgNomadDawg Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I came out of rugby retirement to play the St Patrick's tournament last year. It hurt a lot more the next day than I remember, but I'll definitely do it again....I'll just bring more painkillers with me. To answer the original question, while high school football was fun, college rugby days were a lot better. I'd definitely go back.

• DGD1992DGD1992 Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

Would have loved to but our coach at the time did nothing except run up the middle. Ray Charles could have been DC and still stopped us.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would, if I could play at my 20's weight. In HS I was all of about 145lbs. Played 4 years of Varsity football in HS, but I was was undersized. Typical small, scrappy guy who never quit. In college I bulked up to around 175 and suddenly got really fast and shifty. I graduated HS at 17. When I turned 18 in college everything changed. My brother was a HS state champion sprinter when I was in college and I could easily keep up with him. Played lots of contact flag football in college and was one of the best around. My average weight in the Marines was around a lean 180 and still very fast (until I hit 30 and it all went to crap) So, yes I would play again. But at my 19-25 year old size and ability.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would, played both ways and ST for 3 years and loved all of it. I would much rather have swam but after I left Clarke Central there was not a swimming program.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was 6'2" 190 in HS. Went to a small private school that didn't play football at the time. I played all the other sports. Would love to go back and play ILB, especially if I could channel my feelings for my ex-wife. The guy with the ball would pay a steep price, over and over, and wonder what he had done to make me so mad.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The athletics get the girls.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I didn’t have the mental attitude to play then. I think I had a good frame for football but never had interest. Wish I had now sometimes

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would and I would listen to the coaches and lift weights. I could play but I didn’t pay the price

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Would not have given up Football for Basketball.

I still play in flag leagues but it's not the same.

• EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn’t have skipped my sophomore year of high school football..I didn't play much my freshman year at Southwest Dekalb..So it kinda discouraged me..I also loved to play NCAA football video games with my freinds all summer long so I skipped pratices to hang out all Summer. I also had severe sleep apnea which i didnt know I had at the time..I think that affected my motivation and drive....I resume to play football my junior but by then my coaches labeled me as a quitter..And I never got the time to shine throughout my high school career..It hurts because I would have been starting football games with DGD’s like TJ Stripling and Ken Malcome who sent to Swouthwest Dekalb and graduated in my class...We were preseason ranked number 1 in Georgia my senior season...

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would. The thing about football is, I developed camaraderie and friendships that have lasted my whole life due to the times we spent in the trenches together. Yes, my body has had a lot of wear and tear that didn't catch up to me until my late 30s....I've had my left knee cut on 2X....both my shoulders have been scoped, I got speared in the back and have had sciatica problems ever since, and had my nose broken which led to surgery so sleep apnea would stop. No CTE, thank God...because I tackled with my shoulders...and that explains why they were shot to hell.

But the friendships I developed since the 7th grade and the glory we had on the field back then was worth it all to me now.  

• ACPEPPER24ACPEPPER24 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

I grew up in Valdosta. Everyone that didn't play got pompoms!

I'd do it all again without hesitation!

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate