Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Best Sword fights you've seen in movies?

Comments

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It comes down to suspension of disbelief, if a move can create good a setting for why the rules of physics don't apply then I'm good with it. However, I really appreciate something based in actual reality that does a good job in showing the technical aspects.

In sword fighting it varies heavily based on the type of sword and whether there is armor. I always hate an unbalanced wild swing. Rob Roy I felt did an excellent job of showing this, he just got cocky and overpowered.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sword fights are nothing but choregraphed ballet for men. Car chases like the one in Ronin and gun battles like the bank robbery scene in Heat are more my thing.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

RXD. I prefer real skills, just as I prefer singers use their actual voices without machines altering them.

• Options

Bank. I knew a girl/woman in Colorado who started out in rodeo, injured a knee, then went to LA as a model and ended up doing stunt work. Much of what she did was driving, but not like most think. She was like most real stunt people you see in movies, she drove vehicles that interacted with the primary vehicles. When you see a chase scene it often takes dozens of skilled drivers moving with absolute precision and timing to make the scene work without injuries. She'd work a few days and make up to $20,000. She was divorced from the local high school QB who I worked with. That is he was the starting QB when they went to Montrose HS together.

• Options

Interesting. A female rodeo rider would be a handful. Then there’s the irony of a female stunt car driver.

• Options

Bank, scenes need women drivers, it wouldn't be very believable if every driver was male, unless it was set in Alabama maybe.

• Options

I live in Atlanta, where looking like a woman doesnt necessarily mean the person is a woman.

• Options

''that's not your mother, that's a man baby'' - Austin Powers.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good call @WCDawg. Captain Blood, Charge of the Light Brigade, and Robin Hood are the ones I remember best.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best car chase scene ever was in 'Bullitt'....Steve McQueen in his 1968 Mustang GT Fastback with a 390 CID motor and 325 horses under the hood vs. the Mob Hit Men in their 1968 Dodge Charger with the 440 CID Magnum engine and 375 horses under the hood. A scene with a total of 10 minutes and 53 seconds of chase time thru the streets of San Francisco and onto the freeway. During filming, the director kept having to tell the driver of the Charger to back off the throttle because it kept pulling away from the Mustang.  

Muscle cars in the 60s.....Back when Dodge actually put out a great product.

• Options
    JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 428 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The last samurai for me.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey I thought of another good one. The final scene in The Count of Monte Cristo. I admit, I'm a little biased because I think so highly of the movie itself. But the sword fight wasn't so bad either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvnIXWvDMPQ

• Options

All American cars were junk in the 1960s, but fast and stylish junk. My Dad ran the body shop for a Dodge Chrysler dealer in the 1960s thru the 1970s. My brothers and I got first dibs on some of the prime muscle cars of the era. I had a 440, a brother had a Super Bee, another a Daytona. They were fun as hell and they could fly, literally if you weren't careful. They were junk though. Engines wore out quickly, starters, alternators ( or generators) brakes, etc,etc had to be replaced way too often.

Oil prices and Japanese imports ended that era by the mid-70s and of course The Nips dominated for decades because quality wise, their product was superior.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Quick note on those hot rods from the mid 60s and early 70s, the hp ratings where way low. 426 Hemi, Boss 429, SD 455 and others all put out around 75 to a hundred more than listed.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Robin Hood v. Sir Guy, 1938 The Adventures of Robin Hood

Errol Flynn v Basil Rathbone

(Exquisite Olivia de Havilland not shown ^)

But shown here:

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge put out junk. Still do. All the county and state cops I know say that the Chargers they drive are junk. Same reasons listed....easily worn out motors, starters, alternators, and other issues. Great for pursuit, though. Fast, fast, fast....but all junk. Worst car I ever owned was a Chrysler 300. Complete garbage. But....fast and stylish garbage.

• Options
    benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I drive a japanese pontiac. can't beat toyota in terms of quality per dollar