Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Favorite Donut

1235»

Comments

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jumping in kinda late but, my favorite is the we give them gayturs.

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019
    Dunkin Donuts blueberry glazed cake donut. I want to say the Starbucks blueberry scone, but then I sound like a pretentious a-hole that’s bending the rules.
  • scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That place was on a list of places I was working through but I haven't made it out that way yet. Glad to hear it's good.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Saw a guy at Lowe’s the other day heating up a box of KK’s on the back shelf of his car.  Asked him about it.  Said they will be perfect when he gets home.  Solar powered donuts.  Go figure.
  • JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who revived this thread of donut torture? Donuts are just what is wrong with our society. They are soft, sweet, and have far too many varieties. Crap, guess I'm heading to the bakery...

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well it was. Guthrie's was owned by a family with restaurants in Texas, Florida, and a couple in Georgia. The brother that ran the one in Athens had an issue with nose candy and was mostly out of it. The guy that started Zaxby's worked for Guthrie's and begged the owner to patent the sauce but the owner wasn't interested so he patented the sauce and started Zaxby's which basically put Guthrie's out of business with it's own menu. The last time my son talked to one of Guthrie's daughters they are still open in Florida and Texas.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They still have a lot of them in Bama I think. That's interesting. I didn't know much about the history of either chain. I ate at a Guthrie's in Tuscaloosa a few years ago and could tell they were not set up for the bigtime. I liked it but very limited menu with almost no customization and still cooked to order.

Unfortunately, as Zaxby's and countless other places that used to be high quality have shown, once you get big and franchise out, it's considered better to be mediocre and quick at a lot of things than good at a few lol.

Of course I'm kinda like an old man with restaurants. Very picky lol. Having lived in an area where there are 5 Chik filas within a 5 mile radius for a good while, I'm amazed when people from other parts of the country go crazy about it. Done well, it can be pretty good but IMO the overall quality has majorly gone down from location to location the bigger it's gotten.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are still some Guthries in Alabama, the beautiful.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I had forgotten they were in Alabama. I'm glad to hear they still have places open. I know they are now headquartered in Tallahassee. My older kids went through school with 2 of their kids and it was a heartbreaking situation to watch with the dad.

• WintonkWintonk Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Dunkin, chocolate covered creme filled.