Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Smokin' , Grillin' and Chillin' while sipping your favorite beverage,

Comments

• Options
    Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure where I read about them, but you take the last few fingers in every bottle of bourbon you consume and consolidate them over time into a single bottle. I’m planning to fill this one up, and continually replenish as I go along with other bottles. From what I read, they can be really tasty, (or I suppose not tasty as well) and that some people have legacy bottles which are decades/generations old. Seemed like a neat concept to me so I’m giving it a shot. As you can see, I am documenting the additions on the side of the bottle; not sure if that is standard practice or not.

• Options
    roydawgroydawg Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man that’s gonna be good. Need some pics of the finished product.

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've heard it called a living bottle but yeah, it's pretty cool. I've started two but I ended up finishing them. Oops. But it's pretty and certainly something to try for regular drinkers.

• Options

So I did not get pics but it was good. I don’t have brisket perfected but I am getting consistently good. But I had a lot leftover, particularly the flat. I’ve been wanting to make the Tipsy Texan listed in Franklin’s book so today was perfect. In-laws got the brisket yesterday, my family got the TT today

Dudes and dudettes, I say to you, the next time you have leftover flat PLEASE make a Tipsy Texan. I ate three. I hurt but so worth it. I’ll have another for lunch tomorrow.

Roughly chopped brisket in espresso sauce (I’ll post recipe, also from Franklin), sliced sausage (I used andouille and a hickory smoked pork/beef blend), raw white onion, dill pickle chips, coleslaw, all on white bread. So. Darn. Good.

• Options

Makes about 2 cups 

1.5 cups of ketchup

1/2 cup white vinegar

1/2 cup cider vinegar

1/4 cup dark soy sauce

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon onion powder

1/4 cup brown sugar

3 tablespoons (1.5 ounces) expresso. Longo pour. 

Brisket drippings, if you have. Not required

Mix everything except espresso and drippings together. Simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add fresh pulled espresso. If you don't have an espresso machine then take the pot of sauce with you to the coffee shop and add/stir there. What I do. 

Add brisket drippings, if adding. Good for a couple weeks in fridge

• Options
    GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2020

Stupidly late to this thread, but literally just finished reading almost every page to catch up - amazing knowledge and info sharing as always.

Do most of my slow cooking on a Weber kettle with a Smokenator 1000 indirect heat insert. With proper monitoring, it does a nice job, delivers good results.

Love using cast iron to cook on inside and out. Lodge griddle fits perfectly on the gas grill and is what we use during the week (with a smoke box for added flavor) for fish, chicken, chops, veggies, burgers - sausages/dogs are about the only thing we ever do on the grates these days.

On the subject of cast iron, I may have missed, but didn't see if anyone has/uses a cast iron Kamodo from Golden's Cast Iron (https://www.goldenscastiron.com/kamado-grills/). Yes, they are heavy - 460 lbs on wheels - but they sure won't crack if you tip it over! Made in Columbus, GA. Would love to have that beast.

And as an offering for my tardiness, I've attached the simplest, best steak recipe we've found. This "bistro" recipe makes use of a cast iron skillet and oven, but we have done it all on the grill with great success.

And @tfk_fanboy your TipsyTexan made me remember a bbq margarita recipe I've got, will have to dig that up, too.

Go Dawgs!

• Options

Happy birthday, old man! Hope you enjoy time with friends, family, good food, and a UGA win

• Options
    DuckDawgDuckDawg Posts: 48 ✭✭✭ Junior

Any coffee lovers out there? I’ve been roasting beans on my grill over the last year. It’s not meat, but it fits the grillin’ and sipping on your favorite beverage category! (Especially with the weather cooling down)

I even started a little side hustle in the process!

www.Nationscoffee.co

• Options
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks! I ran into a hick-up initially as when I opened up the original butt I had bought it was rancid. So I had to pick up a pizza that night, get a new butt, and pick back up the cook the next morning. Getting it from 190 degrees to 204 degrees took forever, but it was worth the wait. I will do it the exact same way the next time. Even using my kids apple juice boxes instead of apple cider - ha!

• Options
    Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s the plan…internal temp means everything, and you can’t tell how long the stall is going to be from cook to cook. Normally I see it start around 160-170 degrees, but every one is different. Keep having fun and learning new things; the results are almost always worth it!

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate