Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Smokin' , Grillin' and Chillin' while sipping your favorite beverage,

1161718192022»

Comments

• Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well last weekend for the Clemson game I went full bore and tried three racks of spare ribs for lunch and my first brisket for dinner, with plans to have ready by kickoff. It did not exactly go according to plan. We had family over and we ended up eating sides for lunch and ribs for dinner. I ended up eating brisket by myself at the beginning of the 4the quarter after I had let it rest a hour or so. Final product was amazing but I was pretty disappointed and frustrated with how long it took. I guess it’s because I just overloaded the smoker everything took longer? Brisket went on at 5:45am and I held out putting the ribs on until 8am based on what I thought the cook times would be (was estimating 10 hours on the 12lb brisket and 4 hours on the ribs). Ribs ended up overdone on the ends. I could not get the internal team consistent across the racks. Is that typical? I thought at one point my thermometer wasn’t working but it was. Brisket ended up taking 14 hours. Final product was amazing but I was the only one to know. I also did burnt ends with the point and even though I cut it from the flat too soon they we dang near perfect (and I know burnt ends because I lived in KC for 5 years). What do you guys think? Where did I go wrong? If I tried this again just based on this experience, I’d start the cook at 1230am but to me that seems like another rookie move that might end up with it being done way too early.

• Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here are a few more pics including one with the smoker fully loaded. Also a pic of a couple of chickens I smoked the next day which turned out nice (much better than the ribs) and a pic of my kids with one of the watermelons they grew this summer that finally ripened on game day… nice and sweet

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Temp you smoke at is a big factor, and each piece of meat is a little different

I usually budget 90 minutes per lb plus 3-5 hours of rest. I FTC and it'll hold for 6+ hours so I have plenty of leeway.

As long as it tasted good you're doing great. Brisket is challenging. Use leftovers to make a tipsy Texan sandwich!

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Also, beautiful family

And even when food doesn't turn out perfect it's still almost always better than buying something from local grocery that they cooked. No doubt the family still loved.