Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Closed Threads

Comments

• Options
    VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

They'll probably close the thread once the yammering back and forth between two people starts. What don't you understand?

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've not seen people being hostile to tangential topics. I'd argue the front page being dominated by tangential topics isn't a good thing. Not wanting to read all the posts is a problem with the individual. Are you ok with reading 15 posts in every 10 threads? Why is reading 150 in one that much worse? By the time a thread goes off the rails it's typically already run it's course but nothing prevents other members from interjecting and bring the conversation back on track.

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

delete the posts that are derailing the thread and of two people arguing

it happened in my bourbon thread and I was grateful for it

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doing my best to answer your questions. See my answers in italics.

How about when there is already 150 posts in a thread, and the most recent are mostly arguing between two hardheads? If the argument is on topic, then it's on-topic and warranted to be on that thread. I would suggest scrolling by those usernames you see arguing.

How about when a thread is hijacked and the last full page is a bunch of inside jokes and nonsense? We will do our best to stop off-topic comments, but with the amount of activity these days some off-topic comments will exist.

How about if someone wants to bring up a topic tangential to the main topic without having to wade into the main thread and being accused of hijacking or called a troll? If it relates to the main topic, then it should go under the original thread. I think we're splitting hairs when getting to the tangential part, but for the most part can go under the original thread. But it will be viewed on a case by case basis.

What if I just don’t care for the people who are dominating the current thread and are making it impossible to present a different perspective (we know who they are...)? For this I would recommend the "block" feature that will remove comments from posters you don't care for.

One thread per topic is restrictive and judgmental. I disagree that it's restrictive, as you are free to post in the open thread. And yes, it is judgmental (not in a bad way), but that's what moderators do, use their best judgment (which will never be perfect).

Also, there's been a total of 3 duplicate threads closed since mods were appointed (3 out of 390 threads or 0.76%). All 3 were the latest arrest duplicates. A few other threads have been closed; 1 for users becoming hostile/attacking each other, and another thread when a single user was the topic of the thread and singled out/attacked). And one more thread was moved/merged with another thread for being duplicate (Ronald Acuna). Let me know if you have any other questions, we're here to help! Cheers

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019
  • Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,176 mod

shows how much you actually know. I currently Admin one board and Super Mod another. What else ya got bubba

• Options

I'll just go with sad. I wouldn't have the time to mod one board, much less three (and I have my own business). I can see where the "my way or the highway" attitude comes from. I understand the admin thing, but what exactly does a "super mod" do? Do you have your own secret lair? Have I ever seen you in any of the Marvel movies?

• Options

Ok,ok,ok,.... I have another question.

How long does a post stay relevant? Let's say next week, or next month, someone posts something about pot use among college students, does it get closed/merged with the cox/beal thread?

• Options

I’d say as a general rule of thumb, if it’s in the first page it’s still relevant. Or if we can easily find the original thread we will reference it. Luckily this hasn’t happened yet, as referenced above, 3 closed threads all on the same day and same topic. Let us know if you need anything else!

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,176 mod
    edited April 2019

It is a hobby of mine to kinda mod on certain boards. Never campaigned not even here was just asked. Been doing it a long time and I know other people who own their own businesses who actually own and run boards. Now you may think it is a power trip and did not like my choice of words but we are doing what we are asked to do here. That is it in a nutshell and I serve at the pleasure of Jeff Sentell and the other powers that be, and if they ask me to step down I would gladly oblige and no  feelings would be hurt on either side. 

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems like a lot of work and effort to control the content of a free forum. I didnt’ think there was a problem before. Teddy says above that only 3 duplicate posts have been effected out of 390 threads. That’s great, but it sounds like you guys have new instructions from above are just now starting to tighten up on the content...which leads me to believe there will be many more threads closed in the future.

And please don’t make me use the search function to ensure there isn’t already a thread on a topic before I start a new thread.

• Options

Lol... it's kind of like your 2nd cousin's wedding. You don't want to go and would think up some excuse not to, but you want that invitation just to know they care.

• Options

Just to clear up any confusion, "free forum" doesn't equate to having no rules at all. And these instructions have been in place since mods were selected, and why I used that as a reference to the above stats. It takes roughly 1 to 2 mins to scan the title of threads on the first page.

• Options

👍👍I wanted to give u more than two thumbs up, but that was all I could muster.

This discussion has been closed.