Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Closed Threads

Comments

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,176 mod
    edited April 2019

what part of Jeff Sentell who is admin of this board does not want multiple threads on the same topic do you not understand? Nothing being censored the post and threads are still there just closed not DELETED

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,043 mod
    edited April 2019

A simple solution is to merge the threads without closing them. I've done this and haven't had any complaints. I will close a thread if there are any inappropriate post, insults or attacks on other members made. I will step in and direct traffic if the thread starts going in a topic that was not intended by the OP. Not fair for the OP to have the thread hijacked unless he/she doesn't mind.

And if anyone has issues about the moderation of this board, I would recommend letting Jeff know.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just because “Jeff says so” is not a great answer in my book. This is a free and open forum. I agree it needs to be monitored, I just don’t see a problem with multiple threads. That’s kind of un-American. It limits your choices. You want to talk about whatever current issue is going on...now you are forced to only post in the current thread on that topic. Free market. The new thread will either fail out of disinterest or will succeed because it offers something the other established thread does not. Competition. Seriously, most threads get really off-topic anyway after about two pages. Sometimes a new thread can get things refocused.

Just seems like a silly thing to lay down the law on.

• Options

Not a fan of merging either because it plops down a whole other discussion right in the middle of another. If a thread gets off topic it’s the OP’s responsibility to get it back on track. It’s not like we are discussing serious business stuff here. IT’s all fluff and chatter. Someone posted earlier that the OP basically owns the thread. You really only need a moderator to handle situations where someone violates forum rules, mostly on decorum and spam.

• Options

No one is being forced to do anything, you don't want to post in a thread don't, don't like the way things are being done then post and let us know just like you have been doing, don't bother any of us one bit. The powers that run this board pay for you to be able to come here and post for FREE. It is not a democracy no message board is, but don't come here and spout about being un-American and limits no one is forcing you to be here.

• Options

Let’s say we land a 5-star recruit today. SOmeone will immediately post a thread about it. Does that become the permanent official thread on the topic? If I post another thread about the 5-star guy, will it be merged with the first thread? Seems like it will be a race to get the first post in.

• Options
    edited April 2019

First post will have it. I would close your thread and post a link to the first one and not merge it, speaking only for myself, now what another mod chooses to do may be different but I can assure you no mod currently on staff here will undo what another mod has done

• Options
    HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Glad to see @jeffsentell picked reasonable, level headed folks to be Mods. I am so relieved that we didn't end up with uncaring, "it's my way, and you jerks can deal with it or go elsewhere" types on this board.

• Options

Amen! If you don't like the laws here, you can leave....you tell em boss. We know who runs thing around these parts now. Thanks for setting us straight...god knows this place was an absolute trash heap before we got us a new sheriff!

• Options

someone who actually gets it and what we are trying to do here.

• Options

How about when there is already 150 posts in a thread, and the most recent are mostly arguing between two hardheads? How about when a thread is hijacked and the last full page is a bunch of inside jokes and nonsense? How about if someone wants to bring up a topic tangential to the main topic without having to wade into the main thread and being accused of hijacking or called a troll? What if I just don’t care for the people who are dominating the current thread and are making it impossible to present a different perspective (we know who they are...)?

One thread per topic is restrictive and judgmental.

• Options
    edited April 2019

No one would argue that exactly duplicated threads are good. The problem I see is that so far, the application of this policy has been to close threads with common themes. A thread concerning the Cox and Beal incident is not the same thing as a larger thread about athlete accountability, or a trend towards less discipline on the team. Yet the way thread closing has been enforced so far would have seen two of these threads closed thus far.

My point is that mod intervention ought to be reserved for rare instances of obvious overlap or abuse or spam. The trend thus far appears to be more of an active effort to seek out opportunities to intervene. The very existence of this thread should serve as evidence of this on face.

Hopefully, these are just growing pains and mods will listen to user feedback; but, based on the responses so far it appears that such feedback has been taken as challenge and met with a defensive reassertion of authority. I personally am bothered more by the response to criticism so far than the original behavior being criticized.

This discussion has been closed.