Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The 10 greatest seasons by a starting pitcher in MLB history....

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited April 2019 in Off Topic

I ran this down years ago using the same method for a career, Lefty Grove came out #1.

To commemorate the opening week of the baseball season and a slow day for me, I decided to come up with a top 10 for single seasons.

My method was simple. The pitchers had to throw at least 200 innings. The rest was league average ERA the season I'm analyzing, divided by the pitcher I'm analyzing's ERA for the same year. It's the only way I can think of to get a true apples to apples comparison.

Using my succinct method, here are the results.

1.Greg Maddux 1994 - 271% below league average.

2.Bob Gibson 1968 - 267% below league average.

3.Walter Johnson 1913 - 257% below league average.

4.Pedro Martinez 1999 - 221% below league average.

5.Lefty Grove 1931 - 213% below league average.

6.Sandy Koufax 1966 - 212% below league average.

7.Randy Johnson 1997 - 204% below league average.

8.Roger Clemens 1990 - 203% below league average

9.Tom Seaver 1971 - 197% below league average.

10.Steve Carlton 1972 - 176% below league average.

Let's have your feed back. Is my method sound ? what would you do differently ?

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm glad to see some old timers made the list. Big Train was as dominant as a pitcher could be. Lefty was great as well. Interesting method you created. I wonder what the analytics people would think of it. Maybe they can chime in here. Nice work. When you get to CR, you'll have tons of time on your hands so maybe you can become an analytics geek?

• Options
    edited April 2019

Geoff, all the variables from season to season, league to league disappear when you just compare how a pitcher compared to his contemporaries in a given year and league. That and pitching a full season were my criteria.

FYI - by my math when you subtract the intentional walks Maddux went to 3-0 on just 1 in 148 batters...DAM THAT'S AMAZING CONTROL. He had great command inside, outside, up and down. Not to mention great movement on every type pitch he used.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Geoff

Those stats are mind blowing - at least to my little one. 123 batters faced a 3-0 count from 20,421 at bats? Yikes. I love that he didn't need a 95+ fast fastball to be one of the best ever. I was blessed to be living near Atlanta in those days. I must have seen him pitch 20 times in that span. I was lucky enough to be able to take student groups to sell "refreshments" at the stadium back then - they sold and I "supervised" - mostly by standing and watching games. Saw all 82 home games one year + a world series.

• Options
    GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I get what you’re saying, I’m just wondering (and I have no answer to propose) if you also have to consider if the style of pitcher would be more or less effective in different eras? Would someone who can throw 100mph like Randy Johnson be even more dominant with a higher mound like Sandy Koufax enjoyed? Or vice versa? Who know? It’s still a fun thought exercise.

• Options

Also Greg was maybe the best fielding pitcher in history.

• Options

I'd forgotten about that, he won something crazy like ten straight gold gloves?

• Options

Geoff. Greg owns 19 gold gloves. That's the most by any player at any position in MLB history.

• Options

Geoff. there is no way to quantify some things. Using an army method devised to measure artillery velocity Walter Johnson threw roughly 83 mph. Was his arm weaker than these 100 mph guys today ? I don't think so. He often threw close to 400 innings over a 154 game schedule. More importantly, he slung the ball in the manner used in his time, there is no way you could produce propulsion equal to what can be mustered using modern methods. Johnson had maybe the best build for pitcher ever though. Imagine him with modern, diet, training and mechanics.

• Options

I got to see him pitch quite a few times as well. Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz - it was a golden age of pitching in Atlanta.

• Options

Those Braves' teams in the 1990s produced the top 2 seasons by pitching staffs in MLB history as rated by a top service.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GeoffDawg is my favorite newbie. Just want that on the record in case I die of a heart attack in the next 24 hours, or get hit by a bus.

• Options

AnotherDawg. you could have a heart attack and fall into the path of an oncoming bus..that would be weird.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

What's Jacob deGrom's numbers from last year look like on this chart? Not saying it is one of the all time best, just curious. He's got the look of the best pitcher in baseball right now

• Options

Your motion has been noted. Is there a second from anyone in the gallery?

• Options
    DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hard to believe that Dwight Gooden’s 1985 season did not make this list. Monster year. Surprised to find out he had less than 300 strikeouts. Thought he was over. He was dominant that year.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have you seen the football analysis on this site? These people aren’t qualified to have this discussion, AND YOU KNOW THIS, MAN!

• Options

DamnYankee. I admit I missed Gooden's 1985 season. His 235% under league average ERA would put him 4th on my list behind Maddux, Bob Gibson and Walter Johnson. Actually though I think Maddux's 2nd best season might top it.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, but the excitement guys like Clemens and Gooden brought to the game was unreal. Gooden was unreal.