Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The 10 greatest seasons by a starting pitcher in MLB history....

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Clemens cheated and was an arrogant p,rick, Gooden was a drunk and a doper.

Also I admit I just looked at Greg's season with the lowest ERA.

Remarkably his 1995 season was slightly better than the 1994 season of 271% below league average ERA.

Check this chit out.

1995 - 273%

1997 - 200%

1998 - 200%

1992 - 192%

• Options
    edited April 2019

Kasay. DeGrom's 2018 season was 255% below league average ERA, that was an all time great season. He also pitched 217 innings, one of the very few to top 200.

I obviously missed some seasons in the OP, I went by a list of all time great seasons, which clearly was faulty.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Good thing Ted signed Maddux, right @Bankwalker ? And signed for 18% less (6 mil) than what the Yankees offered him.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Denny McLain's 1968 season with Detroit.

31-6 with 280 Ks and a 1.96 ERA. Cy Young Award winner, and Detroit also won the World Series that year.

First (and the last) pitcher to win 30 in a season since Dizzy Dean in 1934.

I saw Maddux pitch live only one time. It was in 1995 at the old 'Launching Pad' vs. St. Louis. Maddux gave up only 2 hits, a HR, in the first inning, and then the tying run in the 9th after a walk, stolen base, and a base hit to drive in the run after ATL scored in the bottom of the 8th. Ken Hill, the STL pitcher, also only gave up a HR, later on. IIRC, it was in the 6th, and then ATL went ahead in the 8th on a Chipper Jones HR. Maddux was pulled in favor of Greg McMichael after giving up a go-ahead run to STL in the 9th, and STL pulled Hill in favor of Tony Fossas, who promptly gave up the tying run to ATL in the bottom of the 9th.  In the top of the 10th, McMichael shut STL down, and then STL put Rene Arocha in at pitcher in the bottom of the 10th. Mike Mordecai then drove in McGriff for the win.   

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your point sort of falls in line with what I said about why Maddux signed with the Braves. It clearly wasn’t due to Turner’s willingness to spend if he left $6 million on the table.

I am also glad to see you don’t have a problem taking a thread off topic.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Chitown_DawgChitown_Dawg Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maddux’s Five year run is the best 5 year run vs. league avg ERA ever. By far. That being said, the best I’ve ever seen based on the eye test was peak Pedro. Unhittable.

• Options
    edited April 2019

Pedro was the closest to Maddux, they were sort of apples to oranges though. I'd easily take Greg career wise, for their peak 4 or 5 years, it's close.

Edit. Some quick checking shows both Pedro and GM had 7 year periods where they were simply on a level by themselves in their respective leagues. Here is a short comparison.

Pedro's best 7 year stretch.

Average ERA - 2.21

Average innings pitched - 201

Maddux's best 7 year stretch

Average ERA - 1.98

Average innings pitched - 239

Those extra 41 innings per season for Maddux is no small thing when you consider the affect on the entire pitching staff it had.

Pedro did pitch in The AL with a DH though, so I'll go back and check the difference in league ERA over their respective 7 years.

• Options

When adjusting for their respective league average ERA over the 7 year period for each, Pedro's was actually .18 runs better than Greg's

AL average ERA from 1997 thru 2003 - 4.64

NL average ERA from 1992 thru 1998 - 4.23

So 4.64 - 4.23 = .41 - .23 ( Maddux's ERA vs Pedro's) the net shows PM .18 better than Greg's compared to league average.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WC, any way to factor in defense? I doubt we've got defensive analytics going back much further than the turn of the century, but it plays a quiet difference in ERA. I do think ERA is a stat that you can compare over eras and one that still proves useful, unlike wins, which have been fairly discredited as a true measure of performance.

• Options
    edited April 2019

CTD. I assume you mean the turn of the 21st century. There is a DWAR rating that goes back at least to the 1950s, I once compared Andruw Jones to Willy Mays in center field. Andruw had 7 seasons with higher DWAR ratings than Mays' best season. I'll take a look at Maddux's later. Really his defensive mastery shows up in his ERA though. His ability to get hitters to hit to spots does too. It's amazing how often our defense would move before a pitch and the ball went to the exact spot.

Combined WAR rating over their respective best 7 year stretches.

Pedro - 57.4

Greg - 52.9

Career WAR

Pedro - 83.9

Greg - 106.6

• Options
    edited April 2019

Another -Good God ya'll, absolutely nothin …..wait a tick, quite a bit.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

I always thought during Maddux's best run that no one could do anything with his pitches. He would force you into a weak swing, often early in the pitch count. I t allowed his pitch counts to consistently stay low and he could go deeper into games. Some of the dominant guys would have 130+ count 16 strikeout night, but couldn't follow it up the next time through.

Pedro was down right nasty with movement and unhittable for about a two year stretch. I'd without a doubt choose Maddux though for 162 game season.

My personal starting staff of players I actually watched would be

Maddux

Seaver

Pedro

Carlton

Smoltz

I loved Glavine, but he wasn't ever dominant in my opinion. He was always just good enough and one heck of a grinder.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just good enough? You have a high bar.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I mean he always pitched just good enough to beat you, never dominated

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

He looked pretty dominant in game 6 in 1995 against the Indians

• Options

TND. my starting 5 that played during my time.

Maddux

Tom Seaver

Pedro Martinez

Jim Palmer

Clayton Kershaw ( based on the best 7 seasons formula).