Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Having fun: Disney World...

Comments

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We’re big fans of late-September, the weather is good and the crowds aren’t insane and there’s the Food & Wine Festival going on at Epcot. If you’ve never done F&W and you like DW then it’s a must do someday. It’s not cheap (what at Disney is?) but with the right people it’s a great time consuming a bunch of different food and alcohol.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Late Sept or early Nov for us. Lowest crowds. I'm worried about what's going to happen with crowds when Star Wars opens.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly none of that surprises me in the least! It’s fun to imagine you running around WDW like a kid! My husband and I went there for our honeymoon, which might seem weird. But it’s even better as an adult. We literally spent our whole honeymoon eating and drinking ourselves into oblivion. It was amazing!

We did the same for ours, 4 days at the parks and then a 3 night cruise on the Dream, it was a blast! I’m excited to take our 4 month old twins someday when they can enjoy it, but really I think I’m most excited to take them when they’re adults and can drink with us lol

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Perhaps there should be a Walt Disney World Travel topic in Off Topic category?

Recall being in an IHOP one Saturday, late 1960s, in the ATL area seeing a guy with blueprints of something called Buena Vista (something - may have been Lake Buena Vista something). This was before WDW opened and most did not know what was planned (it had been announced per Wikipedia). So, tells me that some ATL firms were very involved with the project.

Recall seeing an odd looking guy on a flight down to Orlando. Turns out he was a street performer at WDW. He was on the return flight, so he might not have worked out.

Stayed at the Dolphin soon after it opened. In spite of being a non-Disney hotel, a Disney character or two appeared at breakfast some mornings. Also saw a family - Japanese - with a "Japanese Breakfast" - some sort of rice porridge along with fruit and ?.

Never saw the fascination with EPCOT. Liked the restaurants, but must have missed the real attractions there. Tomorrowland was well out of date even in the 1990s.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For what it's worth, I tried to change the subject title to reflect the DW discussion since that's what the thread evolved into. But I couldn't figure out how.

I think that the mods can do it? @Kasey or one of the others should be able to help if you tell them what you want it changed to

It’s obviously not my thread so I’ll defer to @RxDawg but thank you for the help!

Guess I'll post a pic

This just makes me want to go back so bad, glad you had a good time!

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I kind of felt the same way for a long time.

I didn't go to Disney until my honeymoon (back in 2000). August trip. It was... okay... but not the magical experience everyone had talked about. I didn't go back until 2013 when my son was 6. It was a spur of the moment trip on the week of the 4th of July... and it was incredible. He was old enough to ride every ride (he loved the tower of terror and rockin' roller coaster) and young enough to get excited to see characters and princesses. It was easily the best vacation I ever had... despite me not liking crowds and going at one of the busiest times.

Went again on the week of the 4th in 2017 with him being 10. Still awesome... perhaps even better because I was more familiar with the parks and the fast passes. We rarely waited much in lines due to the planning and how they've integrated wait times into their app. Never drove... just used Disney Transport (staying at one of the all-star's).

And this year... we're going again... on the week of the 4th. At this point I think it's become tradition. At 12 I'm guessing he's leaving the point where he loves the characters, but he (and my wife and I too) are excited to go again.

So don't dread it. Take it slow, leave time to get between stuff and don't rush and just enjoy all the random things that pop up as you walk through the parks. And stay on site. Booking morning fast passes 60 days out and taking a bus rather than dealing with parking are worth it... and the cheap resorts really aren't going to cost you much more than a standard hotel room in a big city or by the beach.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you don’t want to ride a crowded bus after a long day, Disney offers the Minnie van cab service. They’ll pick you up in chevy suvs, pricey but sometimes well worth it.

The pay sucks but some of the perks are really good if you enjoy the parks and such. When my wife graduated (we were dating then) we strongly considered moving to Orlando as she wanted to go back to work for Disney and my company has a location in Tampa and provides some flexibility with working from home. We couldn’t make the finances work with her on a minimum wage job but came really close to doing it.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Yeah I def took advantage of my park access...

insider tip: if you want a really fun ride on the tower of terror, sit with your arms in your lap so the lap bar locks in higher causing you to come out of your seat more. you might be squealing like Roquan Smith. I know that Asian family sitting next to me was nervous

Was it Roquan? I thought that was Chubb but either way that was so funny