Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Having fun: Disney World...

13»

Comments

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

There's two more (2013, 2016) not pictured.

In my first 41 years I had never been to Disney World. In 2013 my wife told me her parents wanted to take the grandkids to Disney. I was more interested in staying at home alone to get some work done but she begged me to go with her. I figured, "What the heck, I've heard the food is good and the kids will have fun."

It was like the first hit of heroin. I've been five times in six years and can't wait to go back in 224 days.

• Options
    tbiatbia Posts: 53 ✭✭ Sophomore

While I am ready to begin my countdown to Vandy, our countdown to Disney has to come first....

We are Rennie Curran days until Disney.

Staying at the Poly this time (any tips JoelSidneyKelly?)....wife wants to do as many different resorts as we can. Animal Kingdom Lodge, AOA, AllStarMusic, Yacht, and now Poly.

• Options

I've stayed at the Grand with a theme park view, but Poly is still my (and my family's) favorite. Awesome pool. Walk to TTC to go to EPCOT. Ride a boat to MK and back. There is no more convenient place to see WDW. And the smell is hypnotizingly wonderful.

Tip: The tonga toast for breakfast is a must do. $8.99 at Capt. Cooks and $16.00 at Kona Cafe. The only two differences: 1) Capt. Cooks offers bacon or sausage while Kona offers bacon, sausage or ham. 2) Kona's is served with a strawberry compote that might be worth $7, but it's great without it, too.

Save me a Dole Whip, @tbia !

• Options
    MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We’re DVC members and and Poly is our home resort. We love how easy it is to get to Epcot and MK as you can walk to the TTC through the back of the resort. Also, if you’re into cocktails or just drinking you have to go to Trader Sam’s if you’ve never been before. It’s a unique experience and a lot of fun! Not cheap though, but what at Disney is?

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

It seems like if you can't make it to Hawaii, the polynesian resort is a good alternative?

• Options

I mean, instead of sharks you have gators and you can’t (shouldn’t?) swim in the water, and the water isn’t crystal clear, but otherwise it’s a good alternative lol.

But really, I’ve never been to Hawaii but I’d have to guess that Poly is a good alternative with the feel and such. At least it’s how I imagine it would be.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

I've been to Hawaii and nothing really compares. Everyone should go. In the meantime hit up the Polynesian

• Options

It’s on the bucket list, been dreaming about going since I was a kid. Should’ve gone during that 22 years I grew up in Southern California, the flights were half the price and time compared to from Atlanta. But I was d u m b and never dreamed I’d leave.

• Options
    tbiatbia Posts: 53 ✭✭ Sophomore

Yeah, we're renting DVC and staying in Moorea. I guess we can always dream of an upgrade to the bungalows. Like said before, what you do now can make or break the trip in a month....really feeling good about all my times.

• Options
    edited April 2019

We rented a few times before we bought several years back. I don’t think that buying now is really worth it TBH, I think I got good value for my price per point but the new prices are crazy. It’s no longer a discount so to speak as it is a status symbol among the hardcore Disney community. At least that’s how I see it nowadays.

The bungalows look really nice and it’d be pretty cool to get to watch the New Years fireworks from one, but I just can’t justify the cost. It’s so unbelievably expensive. We’re going to go for a week during the 50th anniversary in a couple years and we could stay 4 nights in a bungalow or 2 weeks in a studio for the same amount of points. You are 100% correct though on the planning thing, hopefully you have another great trip!

• Options

The bungalows are great, but room 5 at the Tonga is on my bucket list (about the same price).