Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

2019 MASTERS PICKS....WIN, PLACE, AND SHOW ....

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod
  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Yaledawg. Tiger winning after all these years, all the surgeries, personal dramas, etc. really shows the makeup needed to become an all time great. To have practically every human desire at his beck and call, he needs almost super human will power to set it all aside and get down to the hard work of preparing at the highest level..

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I respect jacks greatness but if he would have had to face the talent Tiger is facing this late in his career they would probably be tied. I don’t think the most majors is the only measure of being the goat. If you put tiger against jack in their prime, tiger wins 7 out of 10. No one transcended the game like Tiger. Nobody dominated like Tiger. If not for the surgeries he would be tied with Jack if not past him.

• Options

I’m not even a Tiger fan, but he’s the goat. IMO of course. I said he was before this win, so it must be true... Way more competition these days than when the big 3 player. Fields are way bigger these days with guys that can win it.

• Options

bigdawg2223. Jack faced top 10 all time players throughout his career.

Jack won 18 majors and finished 2nd 19 times, when he didn't win it was often a close loss to a top 10 all time player.

In Jack's career he faced these guys in their primes..

5th all time Arnold Palmer.

7th all time Tom Watson

8th all time Gary Player

11th all time Billy Casper

13th all time Lee Trevino

16th all time Seve Ballesteros

23rd all time Raymond Floyd

24th all time Johnny Miller.

Tiger faced

10th all time Phil Mickelson, but Phil only started winning near the end of Tiger's prime.

The other marginal top 25 all timers Tiger contended with.

20th all time VJ Singh

22nd all time Ernie Els.

The idea Tiger faced tougher competition is laughable.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like to see Tigers results if he had to use the clubs and balls that Jack did

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

But you won’t. They both beat their peers in their time. Both are great.

• Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You’re laughable, even with modern clubs none of those guys could hit it like these guys are today. It’s two different games because of Tiger. Most of the guys you listed might have been in shape but not like the guys today, they had to do that because of Tiger. I know you’re anti Tiger and that’s fine you can’t really compare anyway because it’s two different eras it’s like saying the 72 dolphins would smoke the Patriots with Brady. It would never happen, Pats would win at minimum 9-10. If Jack played Tiger and both were in their prime equipment equal Tiger would smoke Jack in any tournament format. I know you’re old and but think back to when Tiger was truly dominant, there’s no comparison.

• Options
    edited April 2019

Tiger is one of the best but Jack is the goat

• Options
    edited April 2019

Orlando. Tiger is a great player. I don't know how he would have fared head to head against Jack with the same equipment. I do know Jack has more major titles. He finished 2nd far more often in majors, he finished top 5 far more often and he faced far more competition that is ranked top 10 all time and far more ranked top 25 all time than Tiger has. A look at the players who finished 2nd to Tiger in majors is unimpressive. We saw what being grouped with an all time great did to the Italian guy today, he fell apart on the back 9. Jack faced that most Sundays in majors, Tiger hasn't.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was obviously a joke as you note yourself, even if @georgiaboy didn't get it.

Also, it was a worthwhile and necessary point to make.

I can't speak for anyone else's local affiliate, but if you were in Atlanta, the viewer complaints were thousands upon thousands, via phone and social media.

It is totally understandable if there's a serious storm in the area to report that to viewers, show the most recent location, the path it's traveling, etc., and advise people to take steps to insure their own safety.

All of that takes 4-5 minutes. That would have been fine. That's not what happened. Instead we got multiple breaks from coverage that lasted 20-30 minutes and were totally inane.

If they had done this while Georgia and Alabama played for the SEC championship, you would have had a full blown riot in the streets.

• Options

The guys Tiger plays against aren’t really eligible for all-times lists as of yet. And like I said, more competition equates to the unlikelihood of one guy (or a few, like the Big3) standing out, yet Tiger still did.

Many on that list were past, or before, their prime when Jack was playing as well.

• Options

Teddy. Sorry but Singh and Els are rated as highly as they likely ever will be. Phil probably has reached his level as well. Tiger really only faced Phil for 2 years when both were playing near their peaks, so there's that.

The depth argument is like suggesting The Yankees would have won less if they'd had to face 100 triple A teams every year.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

I think we witnessed the equivalent of jack's win in 86. I'm dubious how many more tiger will win after this. That could be the hater in me talking though

• Options

Kasey. I don't know how Tiger will do going forward. I won't be shocked if he wins 2 or 3 more majors.

To me there's Bobby Jones, Jack and Tiger as the elite of elites, I just think objectively Jack deserves the top spot.

• Options

Have to give props to Xander today, enjoyed the story about his dad.

• Options
    georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You weren’t joking as evidenced by this latest post. I happen to live in Thomaston which is what they were reporting on so I appreciate the coverage very much. No golf tournament is more important than safety.