Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

2019 MASTERS PICKS....WIN, PLACE, AND SHOW ....

123457»

Comments

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Tiger is one of the best but Jack is the goat

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Orlando. Tiger is a great player. I don't know how he would have fared head to head against Jack with the same equipment. I do know Jack has more major titles. He finished 2nd far more often in majors, he finished top 5 far more often and he faced far more competition that is ranked top 10 all time and far more ranked top 25 all time than Tiger has. A look at the players who finished 2nd to Tiger in majors is unimpressive. We saw what being grouped with an all time great did to the Italian guy today, he fell apart on the back 9. Jack faced that most Sundays in majors, Tiger hasn't.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was obviously a joke as you note yourself, even if @georgiaboy didn't get it.

Also, it was a worthwhile and necessary point to make.

I can't speak for anyone else's local affiliate, but if you were in Atlanta, the viewer complaints were thousands upon thousands, via phone and social media.

It is totally understandable if there's a serious storm in the area to report that to viewers, show the most recent location, the path it's traveling, etc., and advise people to take steps to insure their own safety.

All of that takes 4-5 minutes. That would have been fine. That's not what happened. Instead we got multiple breaks from coverage that lasted 20-30 minutes and were totally inane.

If they had done this while Georgia and Alabama played for the SEC championship, you would have had a full blown riot in the streets.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The guys Tiger plays against aren’t really eligible for all-times lists as of yet. And like I said, more competition equates to the unlikelihood of one guy (or a few, like the Big3) standing out, yet Tiger still did.

Many on that list were past, or before, their prime when Jack was playing as well.

Teddy. Sorry but Singh and Els are rated as highly as they likely ever will be. Phil probably has reached his level as well. Tiger really only faced Phil for 2 years when both were playing near their peaks, so there's that.

The depth argument is like suggesting The Yankees would have won less if they'd had to face 100 triple A teams every year.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 29,257 mod

I think we witnessed the equivalent of jack's win in 86. I'm dubious how many more tiger will win after this. That could be the hater in me talking though

Kasey. I don't know how Tiger will do going forward. I won't be shocked if he wins 2 or 3 more majors.

To me there's Bobby Jones, Jack and Tiger as the elite of elites, I just think objectively Jack deserves the top spot.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have to give props to Xander today, enjoyed the story about his dad.

• georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You weren’t joking as evidenced by this latest post. I happen to live in Thomaston which is what they were reporting on so I appreciate the coverage very much. No golf tournament is more important than safety.

edited April 2019

You're saying I was seriously going to "firebomb the station"? Whatever.

As for the rest, you're using a false equivalency. I stand by the point I made.

Anotherdawg. If you had a history of making veiled threats or some obsessive hate of a particular group that comes out in your posts, I'd have concern. As it is I'm sure it was just a joke, but a very ill advised joke. There is pre-911 and post-911, in this era you just don't go there. If somebody decided to call authorities you might actually get a visit and have to answer questions.

If we were in an airport or on a plane when I said it, I would agree. In an online forum, I was willing to take my chances. Guess I just like living on the edge. As far as I can tell, only you and GB were bothered by it. But it's a dead horse at this point. Everyone's opinions are duly noted.

All good dawg.

Anotherdawg. I wasn't bothered by the comment, I just gave my opinion, it was not a smart thing to do.