Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Busy Day or Lazy Day, time for some Slow Cooking...

2»

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod
  • Options
    allywallyw Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I think we could all put on a mean tailgate spread, guys.
  • Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

@JeffSentell mentioned this a while back. Maybe we should hold him to it.........😂

• Options
    allywallyw Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @ghostofuga1 we should! @Kasey would you fly down from NYC?
  • Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod
    Trying to get down for the Carolina game. Uncles are grads there (although one was a Dawg fan his whole life until that point) so it’s within the realm of possibility
  • Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Been looking at that game for my last trip to Athens. Could be starting something here
  • Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I’m down for smoking/grilling for a tailgate
  • Options
    Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    About to throw an11 lbs butt on the smoker
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

When I think of crockpot meals, I tend to do a pot roast most often. I grew up on what I think was a pretty common recipe using dried french onion soup mix and a can of cream of mushroom soup. I've seen a bunch of those "Mississippi Pot Roast" recipes online. No thanks.

The problem with using the soup mix/condensed soup is that it has a ton of sodium in it so I've tried to replicate it with actual real ingredients including beef stock, a little red wine, dried mushroom powder, and some dried minced onions in addition to real ones, carrots, celery, and potatoes. I thicken the sauce at the end with a roux stirred in. I call it gourmet pot roast.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

Had a lazy cook day yesterday so I put a butt end pork roast in the CP. I surrounded it with baby new potatoes (golfball size) and put a layer of fresh snap beans on top.

In a measuring cup, I put in about a 3rd of a packet of french onion soup mix, warm water, about a table spoon of worcestershire sauce and a few drops of Wright's Concentrated Hickory Smoke Seasoning. Mixed all that real well and poured over the meat and vegies. Added some Lowry's season salt and some pepper. Cooked on low for 5 1/2 hours.

Meat fell apart and really had a good flavor. Going to do BBQ sandwiches for dinner tonite...

• Options
    skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nice deck and set up tdub

Go Dawgs

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Crock pots deserve more respect. Can do some things very well. Gave an employee, a subordinate, a CP as a wedding gift and it was clear it wasn't well received.

No recipes but in addition to pot roast, they are great for pork and sauerkraut (haven't tried pork ribs yet, but ribs with sauerkraut is a fine meal); and stuffed bell peppers (ground beef and rice) with a tomato sauce topping (can also stuff tomatoes, but have to watch it or they will "melt"). I'm sure there are other things I or the spouse made, but am drawing a blank. Those ^^ are great cold weather meals. Make the best of bad weather, I say.