Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

MIKE SOROKA !.....

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited May 2019 in General

He was lights out again tonight. He pitched 7 shutout innings in a 4-0 win, he only gave up 3 hits. The 21 year old is now 4-1 with a 0.98 ERA. I've posted several times before that he is my pick to become our ace, he might be there already.

The guy just doesn't throw flat straight pitches, hitters really have to either have a great eye or get lucky to make solid contact against him. He might prove to be our first great starter since the big 3 of Glavine, Maddux and Smoltz.

Comments

• benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Soroka is so good I wish we had 3 of him

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, he could be our new big 3.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The lad is on a roll. With Fried, that’s a solid two. Who else might step up? Foltynewicz scares me right now. Another rookie may be coming.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Should have let him go thru 8. Kid was rollin’

edited May 2019

donm. It's a shame to see Folty regress from last season. Unfortunately it's been a pattern for our young starters since the end of the big 3 era. We've had several look good then fade or get injured, Beachy and Newcomb for instance.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought soroka was going to be our best pitcher last year, as a 20 year old. It turned out folty was really good and soroka had some injuries, but he is dominant now. I think he is clearly our best pitcher.

I never say this, especially with pitcher and double especially for young pitchers, but he is going to be really good for us for a while. Great stuff, pitchability and control/command. And a smart kid who has already shown he is adaptable

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve been hoping that Ian Anderson would put it together and make a big jump. The 3rd overall pick in the 2016 draft, Anderson is 21 years old now and has 4.04 ERA and a 2-3 record with the Mississippi Braves in AA ball. Still think that Touki will be a solid major league starter. Like how Newcomb has looked better in his relief appearances.

• LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Soroka has been our most consistent pitcher and definitely our ace at the moment. Folty looking too much like Julio by giving up plenty of homeruns and walks. I know Julio has been good his last couple of starts and hopefully he continues pitching goid. Folty needs to step up his game and I cannot remember him have a good outing this season.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You can't remember Folty having a good outing this year?

I don't remember the time that I won the Masters...

...because it didn't happen...

Folty is a start or two away from Gwinnett to "figure some stuff out..." They will claim it is because he didn't get a normal spring training, etc. But you watch Fried and Soroka pitch - their demeanor, their command - and you watch Folty pitch - falling all over the place, upset with every other pitch - and you see a big gap...

• cf_ugamancf_ugaman Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

agreed. Folty's demeanor on the mound is horrible and the opposition sees it. they know when they are in his head and its game over from there... he has been like that for years.

edited May 2019

Folty just came off the DL a few weeks ago. Maybe the elbow is still a problem. He is 27 years old and he didn't really break through till he was 26. Starting pitchers who have their first success that late often have flash in the pan careers. Then again he might get past this and return to 2018 form, here's hoping for the best.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Soroka did great, was also really nice to see Riley take one deep in his first game. Dude pulled an outside pitch, off the end of the bat to the warning track on his third at bat... Might see a lot less of Inciarte (batting in the low .200s) when he gets healthy, if Riley can keep it up.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If firing the old pitching coach wasn’t a mistake, as @GeorgiaGirl has argued since the start of the season, then it’s near time for another change.

I think Folty is hurt. Keuchel might be in the cards if this continues.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've had long talks at other places and we don't think Folty is healthy and that he's telling fibs. Heck, you can look at two different pitches (this is possible via savant and I'm comparing with the slider) and his pitch mix in comparison and can see it. At the very least the bone spurs that made his elbow bark made him change back to the pre '18 slider which was a good, but not money pitch and it's quite possible those bone spurs acted up again after his first two rehab outings and he's not telling anything.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beachy. Still makes me sad to think about that guy, my dad and I went to see him pitch for my birthday and he threw 8 shutout innings against the Marlins. 5 days later he hurt his elbow again and his career was derailed by another tommy john surgery, he was never any good again. Similar thing to what happened with Kris Medlen, those two guys were the bright young future of our rotation for a minute.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Warren Spahn was 26 in his first full season in the bigs after having served in the military. He has the most wins of any pitcher since WWII. So obviously it's not impossible to be a late starter/bloomer but the odds go way up.

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Between Ian Anderson, Touki Toussaint, Sean Newcomb, Kyle Wright, Kolby Allard, Bryce Wilson, and Luis Gohara surely we can find someone to live up to their potential.

Soroka gave up 2 hits and 1 run over 8 innings tonight, another masterful performance. He's allowed just 2 runs over his last 3 outings.