Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Which current NBA player would have the most value on the open market ?..

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MeR- Wiseassery aside. Add Giannis to next year's team and it would compete for an Eastern Title.

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed, absolutely.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

You'll have to go to him though because he just had another foot injury

• Options
    corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh come on.....Let Giannis win something before we call him the most gifted basketball player of all time. Let him develop a jumper. Saying he's not as polished coming out of Greece is an excuse. Lebron at 24 bullies Giannis.

• Options
    edited May 2019

Lebron had power, skill and the strength of mind to lead a team at 24. Does Giannis possess the Magic, Bird, Jordan, Lebron level of intangibles ? That might be the only open question.

• Options
    SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gianni's shouldn't even be in the same paragraph as LeBron. You guys are totally a prisoner of the moment if you're even putting them in the same sentence.

If you want to have a LeBron vs Jordan conversation, I'll listen, but this is lunacy. Plus it would need to be in a different thread so WC doesn't "off topic" me.

In the interest of staying on topic, I'd take KD. These big games usually come down to the last 5 minutes, so give me the guy that can score from anywhere over the guy that has to get in the lane.

• Options
    edited May 2019

You're wrong Squill, at least PARTLY wrong.

Giannis is every bit the talent Lebron is, in some important ways he's superior. What seems unlikely at this point is Giannis matching Lebron's combination of talent, aptitude and will power. Those intangibles set the all time great winners apart from other extremely gifted players. Bill Russell, Bird, Magic, MJ and Lebron, those guys were great both physically and mentally. It's extremely rare for a person to have both qualities in such abundance.

Also butt booger, I don't off topic posters....what the hail, just this once.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Even though Lebron took those early Cavs teams to the finals, it took him a while to will his team to victory. You could see it when he finally won in Miami. He had to go to the dark place that MJ spent much of his career. When things got crucial he had to decide to just take over, not hope a teammate made a play.

The ultimate play was one of the greatest defensive plays I've ever seen in Basketball, to give the Cavs the Championship.

• Options
    AugDawg69AugDawg69 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Greek freak and Joel Embiid would get so much money if they were FA

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Embiid disappears at times to me. He can be dominant but other times you forget he's even on the court. If I'm the GM, pass.

• Options
  • Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No, LeBron at 24 does not bully Giannis. Giannis is bigger now at 24 than LeBron was AND more athletic which sounds ludicrous but it's true. Also, and this is sure to send chills down the spine of EVERY TEAM IN THE ASSOCIATION. Giannis can and I believe will get exponentially better over the next several years leading into his prime. His ball handling, 3 point and mid-range shooting (Not that he needs a mid-range game), passing and basketball IQ will all improve greatly and he'll have some serious grown man strength by age 28 so the league has never seen anything like this before. Except LeBron but this kid is gonna b better I think.

• Options

AugDawg69. Emiid is a heck of a talent, but I'm not sure he makes his teammates better. No doubt Giannis does.

• Options

Gianni's wasn't even the best player in the series. Never in a million years would a LeBron team of the past 15 years lose a series to a team like Toronto. Basically, I told you so.

• Options
    TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LeBron has killed a lot of careers along his way. Players performed better with MJ but the guys with Lebron turn to trash. Love went from 20 and 13 to garbage. Heck, Bosh went from what many thought of as a guy who could end up the best PF in the game to a TV announcer with Lebron's help.

P.s. The Lebron offense carries much of the blame. Also why he was lucky to have even ever beaten the Warriors at all.

As far as Giannis, this series proved he has some work to do. Now he has some tools to be great....just have to sharpen those tools.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Giannis should be a lesson for young Claxton. Develop your game while you are young, especially a dependable shot.

• Options

Bosh's efficiency went up in Miami, but there's only one ball to share. You're not going to be the feature player on offense if you're a teammate of Lebron's, that's for sure. Lebron has nothing to do with Bosh retiring, he didn't lose ability just because James was in the vicinity. Kevin Love made a big career mistake going to Cleveland, his game did not mesh with Lebron's at all. Still, every team Lebron has been on has been FAR better with than without him. We see now GS might actually be better without Durant. If you're a fan you'd always be better off with James on your team. If you're a player who wants or needs to be the focus on offense you won't get that playing with LJ.

• Options

If you look at my post in this thread from May 17th my only question was whether Giannis has the Bird, Magic, MJ, Bill Russell drive to be THE champion. In this series he didn't, Leonard seemed to want it more.

• Options

@WCDawg good post. I agree with everything you said and it was well said.