Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

Mets - Degrom. 2.77 ERA 1.07 WHIP

Braves - Soroka 2.45 ERA 1.11 WHIP

Mets - Marcus Stroman. 3.07 ERA 1.26 WHIP

Braves - Julio Teheran. 3.46 ERA 1.30 WHIP

Mets - Noah Syndergaard. 3.96 ERA 1.21 WHIP

Braves - Dallas Keuchel. 3.86 ERA 1.26 WHIP

Mets - Jason Vargas. 4.01 ERA 1.27 WHIP

Braves - Max Fried. 4.11 ERA 1.37 WHIP

The only spot The Mets have a real advantage is the #2 with Stroman over Teheran, and Stroman is a 4 month wonder, Julio has a far better career record. Wheeler has a 4.20 ERA and Steve Matz also has a 4.20 ERA, so The Mets have an advantage in numbers, which won't matter com e the playoffs and will disappear if Folty comes around.

As for what you prefer, it's nonsense, ERA is the actual result.

FYI Soroka pitched against DeGrom June 28th.

Braves 6 Mets 2

Soroka 6.1 innings 2 earned runs 4 Ks 0 walks

DeGrom. 6.0 innings 3 earned runs 7 Ks 2 walks.

You'll have confidence when The Mets are splattered all over the ball park.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

Starting pitching is fine. Giving up four runs in the 9th today is not. Paging Mark Wohlers!

• KaseyKasey Posts: 29,256 mod

Vargas plays for the Phillies now

Unless a starter is pulled early we'll only use 4 or so relief pitchers in the playoffs and if a starter does go out very early a starter will probably be used. No doubt Snitker needs to figure out the pecking order though.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ugh. That 96 series... Thanks for bringing that up. And to the Yankees of all teams. I’m hoping these new pitchers get their act together soon or else it will be a short honeymoon.

I would take Smoltz at his peak as a closer over anybody other than Mariano Rivera in a playoff series.

OK, let's update what is needed to win the division.

If we play .500 ball the rest of the way (23-23)

Washington would have to go 30-18 to tie us.

Philly would have to go 32-16 to tie us.

The Metros would have to go 32-15 to tie us.

If we win just 4 more than we lose 25-21

Washington would have to go 32-16 to tie.

Philly would have to go 34-14 to tie

The Metros would have to go 34-13 to tie us.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 29,256 mod

Braves will most likely win the division. But if the Mets get in...all bets are off

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Disagree we would only use 4 relievers in playoffs. We will use more than we normally would and probably have 7-8 guys we use (counting a couple current starters who won’t end up being playoff starters).Think we may using 3-4 starters and have them all on super short leashes. First sign of issues during the second time through order is an acceptable time to yank out someone like Fried or Julio or even Kuechel.

Bullpens play a big role in playoffs because this is standard practice. Having a starter eat innings is devalued in the playoffs, so you can afford to take them out when you think their bet innings are behind them. You have bigger rosters which means you can use more arms and play platooon splits better as well. For this reason we will hopefully see a few LOOGYS like Blevins and Minter.

edited August 2019

Newcome and maybe one of our starters will be long relief, the rest of the innings will be divided among a few players who prove themselves over the next 2 months. I agree you can't let a starter stay in the game if he's giving up too much. I'm guessing 4 runs over 5 or 6 innings will be pushing it.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If they give up 4 over 5-6 innings they were left in the game too long. Honestly, smart people would say a guy should not pitch third time through the lineup unless he is really in control. I’m pulling people after 4-5 innings as a rule, if I leave them in more than that it will have to be because they are throwing really well and have a track record of being able to manage TTTO results reasonably well.

Also, only probably soroka and maybe kuechel would get the luxury of even possibly going more than 5 for me. Just too much evidence of Julio struggling TTTO for me to even give him a chance, and don’t think I trust Fried enough either. Folty has a long long way to go to get there, and I’ve seen him lose ability to get hitters out in an instant too many times to trust him there.

I still think as I said that is the high end. It depends on the total situation as to exactly when to pull a pitcher. If our starter has settled down and we have 2 or 3 runs I'd likely set the limit at 4.

This discussion has been closed.