Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Is this the year?

Comments

• Options
    BigDawgBrinkBigDawgBrink Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MinnesotaDawg said:
    Well, let's put it this way...2017 needs to be a big year on the field if Kirby has any hope of Alabama-izing the program. We need it for recruiting and for gaining some momentum for the program. Will be too many new faces on the defensive side of the ball to count on the 2018 season to be the program changer. Also, if Eason doesn't take a big step up this year, little reason to think that his third year as starter would show vast improvement over year 2.

Don't like to make W/L predictions, but in order to show progress to recruits, fans, and program doubters, I think we need to win the SEC East and/or beat UF and end up in a New Years bowl.

Great post. Completely agree. I think 2018 recruiting is completely dependent on how we play, where 2019 maybe isn't because we have so much Georgia boy talent in the 2019 class. To be in that rarefied air that is Alabama recruiting we gotta have the 3 straight big classes. Not saying we can't have a national championship team without a top 5 2018 recruiting class but it would make it a hell of a lot easier.

• Options
    godawgsgodawgs Posts: 326 ✭✭✭ Junior

Likely have 3 starting OL who are freshmen and play road games at GT, ND, Tennessee, and Auburn, plus of course Florida on a neutral site. I don't care what anyone says, that is NOT an easy schedule.

Next year those flip to home games, OL is one year more experienced, and Eason likely 3rd year as a starter. Yes, DBs and LBs will need to be replaced, but they will be replaced with some pretty highly touted sophomores. I am not afraid of hype and I do think UGA can win the east this year. But 2018 should be tremendous.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mlee said:
    I hope Chaney realizes that every team is going to play Georgia to stop the run and will continue until they prove they can throw the ball. How many of you watched the games last and could call Chaney's plays? Run,run,pass punt!

Very true but you can't have big plays if the defensive line don't give QB time. The defense were also effected by poor field position, TOP and special teams play but performed extremely well under the circumstances. Let's not forget that Kirby had 6-8 weeks (with Bama responsibilities) to save and tweak the recruiting class for '16. This year is going to be different all round.

• Options
    ladawgladawg Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

18' is just a photo negative of 17'.. if Eason and Chaney don't make a huge jump, and our D isn't top 3 in sec.. then I just don't know if Kirby can develop.. nobody but bama, fsu, and Ohio state have our blue chip ratio.. no more next year.. the same people saying next year, will be saying in 18', just wait til 19' when Fromm is in there and the sicem 17' class are juniors! Watch!

East or bust this year.. unless we look great, but just have bad luck, luck always plays a roll

• Options
    ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ladawg said:
    18' is just a photo negative of 17'.. if Eason and Chaney don't make a huge jump, and our D isn't top 3 in sec.. then I just don't know if Kirby can develop.. nobody but bama, fsu, and Ohio state have our blue chip ratio.. no more next year.. the same people saying next year, will be saying in 18', just wait til 19' when Fromm is in there and the sicem 17' class are juniors! Watch!

East or bust this year.. unless we look great, but just have bad luck, luck always plays a roll

Is Chaney in the booth or sideline this year?

• Options

I'm hoping booth.. we seemed to have some more success when he moved up there late last year.. we won 4 of 5 and scored 27 in the loss

• Options

I also believe the guy from Minnesota, and their meetings with Clemson and other high scoring off coordinators in Jan and feb will help.. trust me, Kirby was as unhappy as us.. and he knows what kind of offenses are no fun to deal w

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ladawg said:
    I'm hoping booth.. we seemed to have some more success when he moved up there late last year.. we won 4 of 5 and scored 27 in the loss

Just Posted this on the wrong thread. My bad. With a more experienced and improved Eason, there might less of a need for Chaney to on the field to work directly with him. Might make it easier to be upstairs in the booth.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ladawg said:

Agreed. It would have been 5 of 5 but for a tipped ball int which put the D in a terrible field position.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

What person, outside of Indiana, is calling for Georgia to lose to ND? Georgia has much more talent...If the Dawgs lose to these guys it's going to be a long year......However personally I still think we are a year away from a playoff birth...most of that is our O line.....I see the Dawgs going at least 10-2 this year, winning the SEC east and going to a major bowl in 2017.....more than that in 2018.

• Options
    BigDawgBrinkBigDawgBrink Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BoulderDawg said:
    What person, outside of Indiana, is calling for Georgia to lose to ND? Georgia has much more talent...If the Dawgs lose to these guys it's going to be a long year......However personally I still think we are a year away from a playoff birth...most of that is our O line.....I see the Dawgs going at least 10-2 this year, winning the SEC east and going to a major bowl in 2017.....more than that in 2018.

Plenty of oddsmakers are saying that we are going to lose in south bend. Kind of sad honestly.

• Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawgBrink said:

@BoulderDawg said:

Plenty of oddsmakers are saying that we are going to lose in south bend. Kind of sad honestly.

Heard on satellite radio that Wimbush ND qb has all the potential to be a star. Trevor Matich was the guest don't know how much stock I put in analysis but he said the ND offense has the potential to be unstoppable with no weaknesses.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,173 mod

@ladawg said:

Yep, 2 years away syndrome just needs to go away.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,173 mod

@Reeldawg said:

@ladawg said:

Is Chaney in the booth or sideline this year?

Booth, no Tom's snack machine allowed on the sideline lol

• Options
    ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bigdawg2223 said:

@BigDawgBrink said:

@BoulderDawg said:

Heard on satellite radio that Wimbush ND qb has all the potential to be a star. Trevor Matich was the guest don't know how much stock I put in analysis but he said the ND offense has the potential to be unstoppable with no weaknesses.

I follow vegas odds.

I checked some Heisman odds from an online site about two months ago and Wimbush was around 65-1 about 2 months ago.

These odds are no longer available and I haven't seen Wimbush on a Heisman list since but clearly he is perceived as a really good player.

ND is -3. This means Vegas thinks ND and GA are equally matched. The points awarded to ND are due to home field advantage.

Two key factors:

1 - The point of odds are to bring in even money. If you get 10 million on ND, you want 10 million on GA. The house makes money either way with the vig or juice.

2 - A true sharp (a really good sports bettor) won't bet the opening week.
    Just because GA is an underdog, doesn't mean they are likely to lose. There is simply too much uncertainty and volatility this early.

The one takeaway- ND will be UGA's first true test on the national stage. They must win this game. Their likelihood of winning or losing at this point isn't defined by odds.

FYI - You don't need to join an online book or google for odds. If interested, apps (for smartphones) like Yahoo sports will have them available.

Specialty apps that follow line changes are overkill for a casual sports fan.

• Options
    pippin888pippin888 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

@jaynole81 said:
    @BigDawgBrink so you expect guys who have never played a snap in college come in and start and dominate in a conference built on the trenches. At WR I don't see a true #1 maybe one will show up. On the plus side the schedule paves the way for UGA to have a good schedule, dont play any of the big dogs in the west. That being said UGA didn't play any big dogs from the west last year and didnt win the East.

There have been many examples of freshmen coming in and having very goods years on the OL. There was this guy named Stinchcomb, Brewster at OSU, Hyatt at Clemson 2015, Murphy at Stanford, oh yea Theus, James at Tenn, Nixon at UF, Pouncey at UF, last year Williams at Bama, So there no reason to doubt that one or more of our incoming fresh could rise up and shine.

• Options
    jaynole81jaynole81 Posts: 153 ✭✭ Sophomore

@Pippin888 you are right but I bet if you go back and look at those teams, none had as many issues on the Oline. They plugged one guy on a line that was already good. Usually to take the next step its having to plug 1 or 2 pieces

• Options
    pippin888pippin888 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

@jaynole81 said:
    @Pippin888 you are right but I bet if you go back and look at those teams, none had as many issues on the Oline. They plugged one guy on a line that was already good. Usually to take the next step its having to plug 1 or 2 pieces

I agree but if we have a player that can seal off Eason blind side and give him 1.5 or 2 seconds longer on his reads wow.

• Options

Watching lsu Texas am on tv.. that lsu defense is legit, and matt Canada is an incredible off coord... my point being is by October 7, fla is in trouble.. lsu will shut down their offense and Canada will exploit the new holes they have on D...

Fla, our biggest threat, has to play mich, tenn, at Kentucky, lsu and Texas am before us.. they will either lose 2 or 3 of those, and they will have some injuries coming into cocktail party.. the east is ours!

• Options

Tenn also gets LSU.. we may be sending gift bags to Baton Rouge when they beat fla and tenn