Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

If the deaths continue to stay low I will take that as a positive sign treatments are improving and maybe it’s not as deadly as it was during colder weather. It would be a pleasant surprise from the norm so far.

but if deaths continue to rise in the next couple weeks, will that change your mind at all?

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Yes I did. The study these people did was summarized as follows

In this issue of Pediatrics, Posfay-Barbe and colleagues report on the dynamics of COVID-19 within families of children with reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (RTPCR)-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection in Geneva, Switzerland. 6 From March 10 – April 10, 2020, all children <16 years of age diagnosed at Geneva University Hospital (N=40) underwent contact tracing to identify infected household contacts (HHC). Of 39 evaluable households, in only three (8%) was a child the suspected index case, with symptom onset preceding illness in adult HHCs. In all other households, the child developed symptoms after or concurrent with adult HHCs, suggesting that the child was not the source of infection, and that children most frequently acquire COVID-19 from adults, rather than transmitting it to them.  

Again I don't find this at all surprising except that somehow 3 children (of 39) were deemed the index case. In general since the first cases were identified I assume that most parents shield their children from high risk activities and hence the parents are more likely than the children to be the index case in a household.

BTW Just saw mayor Bottoms on TV. She and her husband tested negative at the time that her asymptomatic child tested positive but didn't have the results back before they retested positive!

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You said “if deaths CONTINUE to rise.”

Deaths have been declining since April.

But to answer your question - yes, but there’s going to be a really sudden uptick if the death rate is going to reach the projections put forth here and other places.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

They rose this week over last week. But we don’t have to get tangled up in semantics do we? You’re smart enough to know what I meant

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There was an understanding that there would be an increase in numbers after opening. Im more focused on percentages, because that’s been the base used from the beginning. 3.4% mortality, etc.

Now that the percentages aren’t working in their favor, the bar has been moved to only compare straight numbers. One number doesn’t tell us anything useful from a sociological perspective.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I actually don't think any of us are smart enough to know what others meant. I don't think any of us are smart enough to even know what we meant to say.

You know what I mean?

• Options

Florida update today:

Tests - 39,429 below average

Cases - 8,935 with a record positive rate of 22.7% . Even so the 7 day average dropped for the first time in 37 days!

Hospitalization - 409 - first time over 400 and 8th straight day the 7 day average has set a new record (288).

Deaths - 120, first time over 100! 7 day average now 56.

• Options

I was under the understanding that there would be no math.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm showing deaths went down 9.3% last week over the week prior. And cases went up 45.1% week over week.

If you Google "covid cases USA" it gives you a pretty cool chart you can play with for cases/deaths, country, region, and time frame.

• Options

Has anyone heard from @PhineasGage lately? Hope he's doing OK.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@texdawg That right there, is one of THE FUNNIEST things that I have ever read on here!!!! I LAUGHED, AND LAUGHED, AND LAUGHED!!!! My wife came running in, as she thought that I had gone completely crazy!!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

As soon as I read "CaliforniaDawg brought the cover 19 virus over on one of his electric yachts..." I almost fell out of my chair. I wonder if he has a Volvo electric yacht!

• Options

I hope and I think that @YaleDawg and @CaliforniaDawg knew I was having fun and meant no disrespect to them.

My point being......as I've stated before.....is that I have nothing in common with either of them politically. Matter of fact....we probably disagree on most if not everything politically (although calidawg and I do slightly agree on a couple of things). But I have had a few great conversations with both of them through DM. We didn't pretend to agree and none of us compromised what we truly believe.

Yet.....while disagreeing..... we never insulted each other. And have had good conversations about other things.

There is no amount of anger or insults that either of us could have expressed that would have changed the other's opinion. But Calidawg ....in particular.... has made a couple of points that have made me think. And I believe I've made a couple that have made him think.

And I would venture to say that the three of us could find a number of things that we have in common.....we love the Dawgs, love our families and I bet there are plenty of other things.

Many people on here get completely bent out of shape because someone else disagrees with them.......big deal......and I've certainly been guilty of being offended and being offensive.

I'm sure I'll disagree with both of them again on different issues......but I won't insult or offend either of them and I don't expect they'll disrespect me either.

Dawgnation should be entertainment for all of us......arguing and fighting just doesn't seem very entertaining to me. I can go home where there are two teenagers if I want that.

• Options

I was not addressing you on my comments.....just a general comment. Hopefully it didn't come across as such.

• Options

For those of you curious as to why I keep getting a random DV on very benign comments...(obviously some of my comments deserve DVs)

It's no big deal.. it's @PhineasGage . He gives a DV on most everything I say.

I've upset him some time ago......but have no idea how.

I've sent him a DM to address and make amends.... but he didn't respond.

If it maķes him happy and causes a smile.....I'm good with it.

• Options

Let's revisit the first week of August as the severity of cases is increasing (based on the positive rate) as well as the number of cases.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
This discussion has been closed.