Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have we not gotten past the "normal flu" debate? This is not the "normal flu" .

• Options
    RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't get me wrong, I agree with all of this.

just making an example that im sure most folks could understand quickly.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

Oh I dunno why they choose half the things they do. Or better, why they choose to take some things as far as they do. It's like there a constant compulsion to do more. Seems like the majority of politics is to create more problems to "fix". Now this is a real crisis, but like some other posters are mentioned, don't be naive and think they won't see this as an opportunity to exploit and expand powers. It's up to us to keep them in check. While we still have the option to do so.

• Options

any news on these antibody tests? sure would be cool to know if ive already had it and/or am already immune to it and not contagious. that peace of mind would go a long way in me feeling good about visiting friends and playing cornhole this fall.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

ahh...

Cornhole...

Used to think I was pretty good, then watched those cats on TV and realized that I was terrible...

• Options
    dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is a difference in 60000 deaths in a year and 60000 deaths in 2 months. The flu is not a pandemic. Requiring mask at this time just makes sense. The I don't want to argument just is not good enough.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seriously, I just try to get the bags on the board. The pros are trying to determine throwing angles and bag placement strategy and things like that.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

Agree April alone is currently 58k+ with more to come and the 60k flu was an exception with a norm of around half that amount annually (There was less than 4k by March 31st). Current reported deaths are way understated. Does anyone still believe there were only 60 deaths in PR from the hurricane?

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Exactly where I stand. This whole situation you're dämned if you do and dämned if you don't.

• Options

Guys. GUYS...I was not trying to compare covid to the normal azz flu in terms of severity....

I was simply, in a SIMPLE example...referring to the victimless crime points....that not wearing a mask in a normal year could also kill someone..... AND I was only bringing it up as a SIMPLE example of a slippery slope.... despite it being extremely unlikely and not truly something to worry about...it still makes logical sense when considering the idea that not wearing a mask right now should be considered a crime to some of you (the reasoning behind it is because your cough could kill someone)... I dont disagree with wearing a mask...i was stating some points to better explain the fears some folks have about new laws in a time of crisis. The mask law was an easy one and not one i think we should worry about.

annual deaths from airborne contagions in the US: roughly 100k/year from the big 3 (Flu 50k ish, Pneumonia 40k ish, and TB 10k ish). All three are spread via cough or sneeze. this isnt counting hospitalizations or potential life long affects, just the death toll...should we wear a mask year round? thats a lot of victims... every life counts right? <<< I was simply stating that a law about year round masks for health and safety could easily be suggested...its pretty simple logic when considering anything which can cause a victim should have a law about it....

holy moly... covid isnt the normal flu.... no chit.... AGAIN i was just pointing out a logical train of thought someone in power might have....

reminder im on yalls side about the safety thing...and i think we should all be wearing masks right now until we know if we are immune and not contagious anymore.... BUT I don't think we should arrest people for it.

closing every business in town except for 4 stores wasn't a brilliant idea either (lets make everyone have to use the same 4 places to get stuff)....but hey someone in gov thought so... HA

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Isn't the flu season basically the winter and early spring? So those 60k deaths you keep mentioning is largely over the course of a few months, right? A quick look at the CDC data seemed to suggest this is the case.

I'm not saying the coronavirus isn't worse than the flu, but I feel like the comparison should be made in an unbiased way.

• Options

I want to play cornhole while watching games this fall... hopefully we get this all figured out by then.

sending all of you good vibes/prayers and hope you and your families are doing okay.

Be Safe! or dont. up to you! but I wish you all the very best!

we will know soon enough in GA...should be some more data in the coming weeks.

• Options

Typically it's over 5 months +/-. Since 2010 the deaths have varied from 12k to 61k (CDC) with low-mid 30k being average. That equates to around 6k per month. The virus has resulted in a minimum of 60k deaths in April with no guarantee that it will go away anytime soon. Even if it goes to a large extent and only comes back for 5 months this winter then that could lead to 300,000+ deaths over the season (5 months). There is nothing biased about it. Indeed I think to compare 1 month with a peak year of the last 10 years is hardly fair.

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have what may be bad news for you. It's hot here year round and April/May are the hottest months of the year. Currently 95 degrees everyday. Covid was a late arrival here so we're just entering our upward trajectory but we are definitely getting more everyday. Who knows what it would be if it were cooler, but for those that think this is just going to go away when the weather gets warmer......nah. Sorry @Denmen185 . Not directed at you. Couldn't get you off here.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Again, I'm not saying the flu is as bad as coronavirus. I just get tired of the saying the 60k was over a whole year when it was actually like 5 months.

It would be an interesting economic experiment to create a market for coronavirus betting lines. Let people put their money where there mouth is on certain statistics. I believe a lot more transparency would result with regard to information.

• Options

Exactly. My wife's coworker was saying that the Philippines were getting hit at 100+ degrees and it's reported that Mexico is having problems (hardly a cold climate). It seems to thrive in the body at 98.6 so why would it be effected by warm climate. Also when have you even been in a restaurant/grocery store where it's sunny and 100 degrees!

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

GrayDawg, can I ask you a question? I agree that the flu typically kills people in the winter/early spring. I don't think we know if there is a season for Covid19.

Let's say there is a season for it like the flu, I'm guessing comparing the deaths in flu season to deaths in Covid19 season would make sense?

And if there is not a season to Covid19, does it make the most sense to compare 5 months of Covid19 to the flu or a year of each knowing that the flu has peaks and low seasons? If we use 5 months of Covid19 to 5 months of flu, what do we do with the other 7 months of Covid19 deaths?

And by the way, what a f&%ed up type of conversation to be having. So morbid. I just got to throw in a Go Dawgs! to brighten things up.

This discussion has been closed.