Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's a fair question and I agree 100%. That is another example of something sold in a crisis. What's worse, it was supposed to be temporary (IIRC) but it is clearly not going anywhere.

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

Govt's been in crisis mode since 2001. Just one thing after another. I think this is the new normal.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True. Watch how quickly a storm turns into an emergency with green lighted government spending. It is lazy politics. They do it because it's easier to get away with and taboo to question it. It's political teflon. When re-election comes around crisis policy decisions don't stick. Huge checks are written, nobody follows up on how the money was spent, how effective the spending was in helping people, etc. Ultimately, the rich get richer every time we have a crisis.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

I don't agree with the California governor closing the beaches. I've been to California and there's almost always a healthy breeze, thanks to the Alaskan Current as I recall it.

I guess we need more testing to know what effect wind/air mixing has on the spread of germs. I know what we all witnessed in Florida with crowding and no spacing in many cases. But surely, public service messages could inform the public how to distance for individuals/groups wanting to go to the beach. Maintain 6 feet if that's what required, but closing the beach? No.

Post script: More correctly, the cold water current is called the California current. And windy conditions are more likely the result of Santa Ana winds originating from the Great Basin during the months of October-March, and unrelated to the California current.

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think you guys are correct. I havent seen governors wearing masks though most do encourage and demonstrate social distancing

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To the argument that mandating mask wearing is a violation of freedoms and liberties, what about seatbelts? Wearing a seatbelt usually only affects me, so shouldn't I be allowed to decide whether or not to wear one? Is it an infringement upon my civil liberty to receive a fine for driving without wearing one?

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here are two governors wearing masks. Polis in Colorado and DeWine in Ohio

• Options

Illegal drugs also fall under this. Why should there be laws that prevent an individual from taking drugs in their home? As long as they don't infringe on anyone else's rights why should the government compel them to not use drugs?

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

Insurance companies got that done.$$$$$ Same with helmets for motorcycles. Not saying either is a bad idea.

• Options

The CDC actually studied why so many people were dying from car crashes in the 80's and recommended the mandated use of seat belts. I think the US went from 11% of people wearing them to mid 80-90% after that

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And some people argue that it shouldn't be a law for that reason. I wear a seatbelt, but I'm not sure I want the nanny state telling me I have to or they'll fine me.

I don't think people should text and drive at all. But... I think talking on the phone and driving is fine. I can do that and I don't feel I am anymore distracted than normal. But they've passed a law saying i can't now. I feel like they should of kept it to texting only.

The forever ebb and flow of public safety vs public freedom.

I think the biggest problem people really have with more govt is that it just doesn't seem to stop. They can't pass a small law and keep it at that. They have to tack on more to it, and then a little more, and then a little more. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not. That's why folks get upset when they see even more get added. Especially some of us more... eh hum, more experienced citizens. Because we've seen the changes over time. The things that would "never happen" in America 20 years ago suddenly are happening very rapidly. It's not a change is always bad kind of thing. It's more of a "I promise I won't cross this line"... ok, now "I promise I won't cross this line".... ok, for real the line this time... etc.

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

in that case do masks become a law permanently in public, because of other airborne illnesses that take lives annually...like the normal flu does? this is the slope folks are referring to...

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Its unnecessary and haven't seen any politician suggest it."

.... yet

This discussion has been closed.