Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I understand and agree.

im just saying a fine for it will cause protests and I don't think that will help... folks are jobless and going into debt; on the brink of eviction/having vehicles repo'd, cant afford cell phone or internet bills and then get slapped with a ticket for not covering their face....its not gonna go over well.... going out into public should be a risk even us mask wearing folks need to consider....to consider that someone else may not be wearing one and we may end up downwind from them.

asking people to do their part and help eachother stay safe by wearing a mask gives folks a since of community and neighborly honor/pride when they comply.

punishment for not complying is when you get folks that want to prove you wrong/rebel.

I prefer positive reinforcement over negative.

how about wear a mask and get 10% off your order...and things like this? theres a better way to encourage folks to consider their neighbors well being than pointing a gun at them.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What else are they lying about? That's not the way you gain the trust of the public. In fact, that's a quick way to lose what trust you may have had.

• Options
    dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The CDC has recommended wearing face coverings yet when I go out I would say, less than 50% are wearing mask. It is actually being talked about by a doctor on Finebaum right now. What a coincidence.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, if Paul says it, it must be gospel...

• Options

I don't want to leave my health and safety up to someone else's social conscience. People know that smoking is bad for people around them yet they still do it. People drive drunk. I at least want to know that if someone is putting my health at risk that there may be some kind of consequence. Kind of like when someone speeds past me or weaving through traffic, I just hope that I see them pulled over down the road.

• Options

If we get a federal (national) law mandating facemasks, THINGS HAVE GOTTEN MUCH WORSE. And it would only come after the new year...

• Options

I agree, but telling everyone they need to wear mask, but don't buy them because we need them for more important people would not work.

I don't doubt that some numbers were inflated. If you tell people something really bad they will get upset, if you go back and tell them it not as bad as you told them they will be relieved and not as upset.

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Graydawg, we've had great discussion in the past and I hope we can continue that faith as I try to answer.

I do not want a law on face masks. As a liberal, (not a libtard as I was called yesterday on this thread and for which I am beyond piss*ed about and ready to pick a fight with someone about), I hate government laws and regulation. That might surprise you, but it's true.

What I really do want is a good example. I want a president and a vice-president who wear masks and set an example for our nation. I want a president who uses the words of Texdawg and encourages Americans to not put at risk the freedom we have gotten back. I want a president who calls upon the greatness in each of us to do our part. I am doing my best to phrase this in a non-partisan way that would appeal to all Americans , but that is definitely missing right now and this is not about left and right politics, it is about leadership.

If you have good national moral leadership, you don't need laws for silly things like masks. I learned in negotiations a long time ago that it is best to focus on interests and then rights and then power. Laws are power and only necessary if one fails at promoting or finding common interest. Today, there is zero effort (both ways) on finding common interest and as a consequence people are way too quick to resort to power in the form of laws.

And that forces us into a bad choice (which shouldn't be necessary) between allowing Americans to die in the absence of good leadership or passing laws requiring masks that are in no way a good solution either. When we go to to power struggles, that is what divides us and we find ourselves on the opposite side of something even though we would all agree that taking precaution to protect our health and freedom is a great thing. Sad isn't it?

So please dont' assume that there is a big group of folks out there that prefer regulation. You have been told that message a bunch, but you have been told that to make people who disagree with you evil and bad. No American, liberal or conservative, is evil or bad.

But, there is a big group of people who feels we should be taking precautions to protect our American freedom and have no way to feel they can achive this without a law. In their powerlessness, they turn to power and when anyone does this to achieve a left or right objective it always backfires in the long run.

• Options

There's been an absence of true leadership - one who can cross the aisle and act like the president of everyone, not just some folks - for quite some time now...

And placing moral restraints on "men" is a slippery slope. "Moral" is a loaded term that just about every person will define differently...

• Options

...and David Palmer got shot in season 5...

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why do you only want to see the President and Vice President wear masks? How about those running for office or even the rest of the Government. This isn't a Dictatorship and I don't see any in Washington wearing masks.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I appreciate your thoughts. However, there is very little real leadership in politics at any level. Look at the states, half the states are moving towards opening things back up while others like California are doubling down on the lock down. Who is showing good leadership at that level? Is it the governor of Georgia or the Governor of California? We can't possibly know because the information we are privy to is inconclusive. We are left to the messages being provided by media outlets that are clearly biased to the right or left based on the channel you tune in to. You are either sold fear of a depression or fear of a virus. They know most people will pick one side or the other. I don't care what side you choose but I do care about new laws being made under these circumstances. Making laws in a crisis feels like the government pulling one over on the people.

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

Ramstein has been in mandatory masks for about three weeks now. All cashiers in every building on base now has a plastic board hanging from the ceiling that separates the cashier from the customers. There's enough space at the bottom to slide your purchase under so they can scan it. Its not as imposing as the bullet proof box you see in some gas stations but it takes a little while to get used to.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

I agree that all task force members in particular wear masks and anyone in WH meetings and briefings. Not sure who in particular you are referring to "running for office"

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think that goes for inside without airflow, not outside in the open air. And I also believe it applies if the infected person's breath has been aerosolized such as if it's on a vent, or getting they're getting nebulizer treatments.

I'm not completely on top of the airborne data, but I know it's not going to linger on a hiking trail for several minutes. Misinformation can be bad.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I use the rule of thumb that if I could smell someones perfume/cologne that walks by I am too close.

• Options
    UGA_2019UGA_2019 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Where were the people like you when the PATRIOT Act was passed? I’m not trying to be a jerk, just genuinely lamenting as yours truly wasn’t the most engaged in politics at the time. The fact that people are seemingly getting more upset about this is really perplexing to me.

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

Seemed to me everyone accepted the Patriot Act without question at the time. 9/11 was still very recent and it was taboo to criticize anything that was related to protecting the US or getting revenge. That's how it was in my small town located right next the biggest Army Base east of the Mississippi. Can't tell you how it was in other parts of the country but it passed with overwhelming support 357-66 in House and 98-1 in the Senate. There were people out there questioning it but no one was willing to hear it.

This discussion has been closed.