Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Leach on burgers...

Comments

• JohnnyBgoodJohnnyBgood Posts: 91 ✭✭✭ Junior

White castle smashes Krystals as far as sliders go, fast food chains definitely Wendy's, if you're in middle GA like me hit up Nu Way weiners

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

During the fall (Oct-Jan) I usually pick up a weekend jon at a fast food restaurant for "extra" money for my kiddos... Ill say Five Guys is the only fresh meat besides 4 others.

White Castle's (ask for extra burger season)

Five Guys (crispy bacon)

Rally's (put the fries on the burger yummm)

Fat Burger (actually surprised me)

Sleeper Picks - DFW local chains Griffs and Charlie's

Red Robin has a holiday burger with pepper bacon that is heaven.

McDonalds, In-N-Out, and Whataburger are overrated and just blah to me

• roydawgroydawg Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is Rally’s the same as Checker’s?

first mention of Red Robin I’ve seen here. I forgot about them, but they do make a good burger.

• SAVDGDSAVDGD Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2020

Where are y'all on Cookout? My brother loves it, I think it's "good for the money" at best, tastes cheap to me.

Also, if you've never had a Freddy's Steakburger, gotta try that out.

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2020

My son in law's Zippy Burgers! Commercial burgers: Five Guys.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes same just northern vs southern branding like Hardee's/Carl Jrs

• roydawgroydawg Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Freddy’s is excellent. Cookout is something I would’ve torn up in college if we had had one. But yeah I’d say it’s nothing special except for the value.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cookout is the taco bell of burger places...

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2020

The Varsity was the place to go back in the day. We lived in Georgia in the 60's and as a kid, I wasn't impressed. Fast forward to the 2000's and we tried the burgers, dogs, and fries at the Varsity Jr. on Cheshire Bridge. Same old thing: lousy burgers, cold hot dogs, and super-greasy fries. They are the worst.

Give me some Five Guys, Back Yard Burger, or dine-in restaurant Burgers anyday. Wendy's is pretty good too.

I hear the Vortex (sp?) in little Five Points is fantastic.

Also, I've had some fantastic burgers at Burger King and McDonalds. I know, you're thinking "this guy's out of his mind". But it's true. Why? Because those few experiences and I mean very few were the result of good management and BURGERS COOKED TO ORDER.

• bordersdawgbordersdawg Posts: 17 ✭✭ Sophomore

I used to love me some Steak-N-Shake. Sad when they stopped with the salt and vinegar fries.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My take on cookout is I would prefer just staying home and cooking out

• LBCoachLBCoach Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What I grew up on. Krystals and a strawberry shake after every football game

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Krystal is on a whole other bottom-basement level. I can't believe people choose to eat there. Here, eat this sack of stale bread with paper thin partitions of meat-like substance. Simply hideous.

edited October 2020

In Texas, we always hit Whataburger after a game. For away games, Coach would call ahead and warn the local Whataburger that the team bus was on the way so they could get stuff prepared. There is something special about hitting up a Whataburger with your whole team after a game. Iconic Texas culture.

For home games, sometimes Sonic Drive-thru was the place to be.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you're ever in Montgomery, AL do yourself a favor and go to Hamburger King (for lunch; they close at 2:30). You might never eat a better burger.

• OldGuardDawgOldGuardDawg Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

My question is why can’t the Athens area have a Whataburger or Backyard Burger restaurant? Heck while I’m at it, Athens also needs a Del Taco again!! Lol. Ok my stomach is done ranting!! Go Dawgs

• BangersBangers Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree their burgers are the worst, but Mickey D's has pretty darn good breakfast ... I had an egg McMuffin not long ago for the first time in a few years and I was shocked by how much better it was than I remembered. Their pancakes are pretty decent for fast food too IMO

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson He (Mike Leach) is an absolute cartoon character!! Is he a clown??? I am not sure about that, but I'll admit that he does make me laugh quite a bit. Actually, so does Ole Miss' Lane Kiffin. This year's hate week leading up to the "egg-bowl" down in Mississippi has the chance to be freaking hilarious!!! PS - I know what I am about to say is not fast food, but perhaps the Vortex Bar and Grill's offering(s) of their various types of burgers just might be the very best burgers that are served anywhere in the entire state of Georgia. Just sayin....

I don't think he is a clown, but he gets way too much credit as a football genius. In a world full of stale, stodgy, PC coaches, it is nice to have at least one guy with a sense of humor. Kiffin is a totally different sort of different.

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we’re talking about 2am Athens, anyone else remember the burgers at Boar’s Head grilled outside around last call?

I realize this comment is probably limited to the early 2000’s but if you know what I’m talking about you’ll agree.

Best part was haggling prices too.