Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Falcons should draft Mac Jones

Comments

• emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mac Jones would be a good value pick maybe between rd 3-6 ala Jake Fromm to develop him as a quality backup and maybe even a future starter. I thought people were way premature (And I was right obviously) to anoint Bryce Young as the heir apparent to Tua when Mac had such a strong showing at the end of the 2019 season and had paid his dues behind Jalen and Tua

, I knew then that Mac was gonna b their guy in 2021 AND BOY did he deliver. But for someone, ANYONE to suggest that he's a better prospect than Fields........?🤔🤔🤔🤔Now thats 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 But hey these are some of the same type of people that thought that it would be a good idea to pick Mitchell Trubisky over Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes and how is that working out?

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bro, whatever you do for a living, don't give it up to become a GM. You're about 20-30 years late in questioning Mel Kiper. I think the Giant's GM did that back in the day when he said "who in the he!! is Mel Kiper". I wondering if you might enjoy fantasy football more than the real games.

• BumBum Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Or it could be said he’s the first QB since 91 to have a receiver of theirs win the Heisman. And Mac lost Waddle, which definitely helped Heisman stats, but made for even a more impressive duo considering everybody knew where Bama wanted to go with the ball. Nobody has been able to stop Mac Jones since he became a starting QB.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

You’re forgetting that stout OL and Najee Harris. Mechie is no slouch either.

I’m not forgetting any of that. Great players everywhere at Bama of course. And Mac made all his teammates better after he became the starter. He could not be stopped, even the Auburn game he lost went back and forth all game and he put up 45. This season nobody had a chance to keep up with the Mac Attack. I like his attitude the most, I think he’s made to be an NFL QB. He’s a silent killer. Perfectly happy with his receivers being the stars.

That’s all well and good, but Tua put up similar numbers when he was there and he hasn’t impressed so far in the NFL. I currently don’t see much in Mac to make me take him before Lance or Fields.

This ain’t about Tua. Who’s Lance? If he was the best QB in college football I probably would have heard of him. The other guy couldn’t keep up with the Mac Attack. Next?

1. it kind of is. They played the same position at the same school with (most of) the same players. Put up similar stats. What does Mac bring that Tua doesn’t?
    2. Trey Lance. Remember the name. He plays for a smaller school but I’d be willing to bet he will have the better career than Mac Jones. If he was at a bigger school you might’ve heard of him. For me he’s the best QB in this draft not named Trevor Lawrence. And if he’s there for the Falcons at 4 they’d be fools not to snag him.
  • donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Was Brady the best QB when he was drafted in the 6th round? Few had heard of him. Doesn't matter whether you (or I ) have heard of Lance. NFL scouts have heard of him. Not many had heard about Jared Allen out of Wyoming or Carson Wentz from ND but NFL scouts had. Not sure how definitive your evaluation is if you've never heard of guys who are likely 1st or 2nd round picks.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I see where in one mock draft they’re showing the Falcons picking North Dakota States’s Trey Lance. That would be just about par for the course if Falcons actually did choose Lance over Mac Jones or Justin Fields. A little bit of bias here, but wouldn’t it be a good idea to trade our first round pick for Stafford who has proven himself in the NFL and would be ready immediately? That would remove the risks of whether one of the draft picks would ever work out, ESPECIALLY Trey Lance.

Are the Falcons a QB away from contending? Do they have cap room to take on Stafford’s contract? Can they get a trade partner for Matt Ryan?

all that said, people should give a bit more credit to Trey Lance. He can do all that Fields can do and did it with less heralded talent. Arthur Smith would do wonders with him. Knowing the Falcons, they won’t take a QB or they will take the wrong one.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Would you have said last year at this time that Tampa Bay was a QB away from contending? Need to trade Ryan & oft-injured Jones.

no one knew they were getting the GOAT.

no one is taking Ryan and mmmaybe someone will take Jones. Well, no one is giving up a lot for either. Stafford is going somewhere other than Atlanta.

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am still high on Tua, let's see what happens now that he has a supporting coaching staff and specifically a QB Coach to help mentor the NFL gauntlet.

Yes, I would take Mac Jones ahead of Fields but I would take Lawerence and Lance before Fields. I fully understand how and why people are high on him and hopefully he can overcome what others haven't been able to do! The facts remain, the NFL is where college RPO quarterbacks go to end their careers - Early!. If he goes high enough in the draft, the amount of guaranteed money should provide him a quality life he has dreamed about. But, from those who are in the "know"he is lacking the quality that all successful NFL QB's have.......the ability to quickly read the defense, no matter what type of shift or camouflage they throw at you and not rely on your legs to get you out of your deficiencies. For the sake of Fields, I hope he can overcome that, but he won't, because it is blood in the water for the NFL DC's and they love those types of QBs!

Outside of Cam Newton, I can't name another one who has done it. He didn't win a Super Bowl because they forced him to read at the 2nd and 3rd level and that was all the time that Vonn Miller needed Auburn had to dumb down the offense for him, a typical call for him was Red75. One read and then run, same thing with Vince Young. Great RPO college QBs that won Nattys, but not so much in the NFL!

I exaggerated a little bit, I’ve heard Lance’s name but know nothing about his game. My biggest question is how can Mac Jones possibly still fly under the radar? No one so far has argued against my statement that Mac was the best QB in college football this past year. So y’all got 3 QBs you’re gonna take ahead of Mac? That’s just fueling the Mac Attack and even more reason the Falcons should draft him. He’s on a mission, that college natty was too easy.

I actually did but you didn’t agree.

I think the pro’s complaints with him are that he’s at his ceiling, he will never have as good a crew around him, nothing he does is extraordinary. I don’t think he has one skill he can do better than Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, or Lance.

If the Falcons really want him (they don’t) they should trade down because he will be available outside of the top 10.

His Accuracy- in game- is unparalleled. Especially the deep ball. I should stop telling people about him. Mac likes it better as the silent killer.

i’ll take that bet all day Lance vs Mac Pro career. Bump this thread down the road.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Since we're marking this for posterity, I will go on record and say I'm with you Kasey. As good as Jones was in college, he will probably not be among the top four QB's taken, because he doesn't have near the mobility that the others have, and that is a requirement for top QB prospects these days.

I researched some of this when we were debating J.T. Daniels on my NFL thread. 14 QB's have been drafted Top 5 in the past 10 seasons, and all except Jared Goff had significantly better rushing numbers than Jones.

Can you still be successful in the NFL as a pure pocket passer? Of course. Tom Brady proves that you can. But as everyone knows, he was a 6th round pick. (And that was also, literally, a generation ago.)