Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Falcons should draft Mac Jones

13»

Comments

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I kind of think the Falcons still don't draft a QB this time. I'm not a horribly big fan of the hire but it telegraphs to me that they are still going to try to win with Matt Ryan and build to where they rely more on the run game.

Now if Ryan still looks like how he did in 2020 (he had a stretch that was bad), I suspect that in the year after, you'll see the Falcons look for a QB.

• Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

”Told ya” what? Didn’t see any place where you said Stafford would be traded to the Rams for Goff.

• Options
    emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No the Falcons need a QB like Right now. There may not b a QB available in next years draft that would b a worthy replacement for Ryan. I say if he's available at 4, take Justin Fields. PERIOD.

• Options
    BumBum Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If y’all are right and Mac will be available with a trade down, that would be ideal. Mac needs weapons and protection and he has shown he lights up the scoreboard. He can learn behind Marty Ice and unleash the Mac attack when his number is called.

• Options
    Dawgs80Dawgs80 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I take it from your comments so far you're a Fields fan, cool I get that. From an objective approach you have to see what the scouts see. In big games he struggles more often than not with fast defenses, locks on his receiver, and rarely works through his progressions. These are legitimate concerns for a QB going to the next level where everyone is bigger and faster. Also it's not like he was playing elite competition week in and week out. He's a hell of an athlete but is he the second best QB in the draft? I have my doubts and that's not what you want when picking a QB that high.

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Lions got two first round picks and a third for Stafford. I wonder if Atlanta had a chance for anything close to that for Ryan?

Anyway, the lions may try to use those picks to trade up from #7 and if so should the Falcons take those two first round picks and swap #4 for # 7. Take best player at 7 and Jones at Rams pick 25 to stay on topic a bit. I would probably make the trade unless someone convinces me Trey Lance will be Mahomes in three years. He has my attn more than the other QBs

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Don’t think that would be smart. Rams are way closer to a Super Bowl than the Falcons. Falcons are in rebuild mode and I don’t think Stafford wanted to go to another rebuild situation.

• Options

Good points here. To me, The NFL is about pure passing QBs over a career. Sure some guys do some damage for a couple years with their legs but they never continue it for a career. The pure passers only get better as the years progress as opposed to overall decline in their game.

Mac has the smoothest release I’ve seen in quite a while and always seems to put the appropriate velocity on the ball. How many times did you hear an announcer say “wow, what a great pass there”...it happened all game every game pretty much. I guess I’m just surprised he doesn’t get the credit he deserves. Is it because he didn’t start until after Tua? Who cares...look at what the guy did the games his number was called.

• Options

I think his publicity suffered from all the shiny objects (Lawrence, Fields, etc) clouding his shine. He will get a shot.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I share your admiration for Jones as a college QB, and I hope he succeeds in the NFL. Just wanted to clarify something regarding your reference to "pure passers," because that description fits both Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes, yet they are very different types of QB's.

Tom Brady is a traditional pocket passer. He is no threat to take off running with the ball. Others in the same category include Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, and Matt Ryan. Note: the average age of this group is 39. This is Mac Jones' QB type.

Patrick Mahomes is in a second category. Some call them improvisors, scramblers, or passers with escapability. These are passing QB's first and foremost, but they are good at avoiding the rush, making throws on the run, and picking up a 1st down with their legs when needed. Others in the same category include Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, and Josh Allen.

The third category is the true dual threat, like Lamar Jackson, but this type is very rare in the NFL (in part for the reason you gave re: durability.) Other examples over the years included Cam Newton, Robert Griffin, and (arguably) Mike Vick.

-------

The Patrick Mahomes type is far and away the ideal by modern NFL standards.

The Top 3 rated QB's in the league (Rodgers, Mahomes, and Allen) all fall in this category.

The Top 3 rated QB's in the upcoming draft (Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields) all fall in this category.

The Top 3 QB's taken in last year's draft (Burrow, Tua, and Herbert) all fall in this category.

This doesn't mean Mac Jones can't be successful in the NFL. It just means he's unlikely to be a Top 10 pick, and the odds are stacked against him, given the way the modern game is played.

• Options
    emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm no scout but all I know is that the Falcons need to take a QB at #4 and if Fields, Wilson, or Lance is there at 4 we need to take 1 of them. I think Fields (Key word: Think) is the best QB prospect in the draft so if I'm the Falcons thats my guy.

• Options

This is good stuff and I don’t disagree with really anything written. I’d say Mahomes is the unicorn actually because of his passing ability, not his athleticism. Tons of guys are as athletic as Mahomes, but they can’t throw it like he does. Passing accuracy and decision making is an absolute must. If you can also run, great...(won’t be for your whole career though). How many athletic QBs have we seen do nothing in the NFL because they can’t throw it well enough? Picks are wasted every year on QBs like this.

When I watch Mac compared to any other top QB coming out this year, he’s on a different level throwing the ball. If you are that much better of a passer it can overcome a supposed lack of athleticism, takes pressure off your legs, makes your teammates better, prolongs your career etc. I bet Devonte Smith would be more than happy to keep Mac as his QB at the next level. Mac was crucial in making Smith a Heisman winner and star.

• Options

I think Jeudy and Ruggs leaving had just as much help in making Smith shine. But you and I have laid out our differences on this issue.

• Options

I did watch some highlights of your guy Lance. Definitely an impressive athlete, and don’t get me wrong I always prefer an athletic QB if he can also throw well. We’ll see if he can throw it.

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m leaning to Lance at #4 but would consider Jones if we could trade with the Lions or Miami for a couple extra first round picks if they are trying to trade up for QB.

• Options
    darklangodarklango Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

These are Mac Jones weakness from Walter Football

• Weaknesses:Quality arm strength, but not elite
    • Not a running threat
    • Enough size but not especially big
    • Limited experience; 1-year wonder
    • Might only be a game manager in the NFL

‐‐---------

It's clear they couldn't find any. It wouldn't surprise me if he turns into an NFL great

• Options

Might as well add

-the Mac Attack jeopardizes competitive football.