Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Now that NIL has consumed the collegiate level…

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

I mentioned the hazy nature of all this seven figures talk but people don’t seem to want to address it.

• Options
    donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think I missed it. I'll go back and check out your post. Thanks.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think those all depend on how the athlete and business want to draw the contract up. I'm sure there could be performance bonuses (on the field, or better performing sales of their product/service bonus) or just a set amount. If they are injured, it's up to what the two parties agreed to in the contract as far as compensation in that case. Players will dictate what they're willing to do to sign, so they'll control their destiny.

• Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That makes sense to me, but how long before high profile athletes can hire professional agents to do their bargaining for them? Or could they already in this new age of college sports?

• Options
  • Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s a good thing. Otherwise, many young people would probably get taken advantage of. Hopefully the NCAA will also create policy to keep agencies from taking advantage as well.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This literally just started and already there is talk of 7 figures. Who cares if the real number is 700K or 1.5M? What we are seeing is just the very beginning and the numbers are HUGE. Players are just now landing their first NIL deal. These things tend to grow. And these kids are free to have as many endorsement deals as they can get. What we are looking at is just the first round and already it's kind of spun out of control. Give it 3-4 years and I promise there will be a certain number of college kids making a lot more money than the average NFL player.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

or one could argue the opposite. these NIL deals have yet to really move the needle in any strong way, the kids start making less off of them as a whole, and everything is just fine. All I'm saying is no one really knows. People thought the Dotcom boom would last forever and it crashed too.

I don't mind someone making bold statements, but the bolder it is the more I find myself looking for holes ripe for poking.

• Options

I guess I can see your point, but a 7-figure NIL deal will easily pay for any college expenses with a ton of money left over.

You guys are ignoring that this literally just started two months ago. This was illegal back in June 2021 and not many people actually thought it would be approved by the NCAA. Give it a couple of seasons to mature and I promise you the amount of money exchanging hands will be astounding.

JT was THE west coast QB back in his HS days, played at a juggernaught HS, was a huge celebrity, had every college in the universe after him, and went to one of the most expensive private universities in the country...that so happens to also be football royalty...and started his true freshman year. If NIL was available back then I assure you he would have several 7-figure NIL deals as soon as he stepped foot on USC's campus.

• Options

I see your point, but I think for the kids who keep their noses clean, play well, and represent themselves with dignity the sky will be the limit. Maybe everyone came out of the gate real hot and shot their **** right away, and things will settle down eventually....but this is business competition. Less is generally not a formula for success. Look at the way recruiting changed over the last 15-20 years and the budgets the big time programs have. I see NIL going the exact same way.

• Options

What does starting two months ago or being illegal a few months ago have to do with anything? They’ve been inching towards paying players for years now. Also, do you not think these kids were making this under the table before NIL?

The market is dictating what these kids are worth. Do you want outsiders telling you that you make too much money? That’s basically what you’re doing.

• Options
    BumBum Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NIL Starting two months ago has everything to do with what could happen with NIL. This much is true.

The market is just now testing the waters. Hasn’t had enough time yet to fully mature in the new space. Not even the start of the first football season yet.

• Options

No, I don't. Nobody was making a million dollars a year "under the table" before. Not even remotely close. My point about this starting only two months ago is that this is brand new. It's small and only involves a handful of players. Give it a couple of seasons and it's gong to be gigantic. I hope you can see that. What gives you reason to believe this isn't going to get much, much bigger? Just like ever increasing recruiting budgets and absurd luxury football facilities. Things almost never get smaller in billion dollar industries.

I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make. I'm not trying to say how much or how little a kid should make in a free market, I just said a kid making a million dollars a year probably isn't really worried about some paltry $20,000 a year scholarship. Some seem to disagree and think the scholarship holds more value. What would you rather have, a million dollars or a free year of college? The annual interest alone on a well invested million dollars would easily pay for any college education.

• Options

I’d rather have both, a million a year and a scholarship. Roughly 40% of that million goes to taxes, 10-20% is the average an agency takes on endorsement deals, and then your 2% to pay for school. All this comes out before the kid spends a buck.

Not sure why we’ve made this an either/or situation based off of one made up scenario that will likely be a very rare occurrence. Either way, if some school is exploiting this to sign 35 top players every year I’m sure they’ll adjust the rules to help keep it competitive for all schools.

• Options

Bumping this thread for our NIL talks.

• Options

Here's a great article on the subject. When you read the whole thing (it's pretty long)....NIL seems to be a piece of almost every big topic.

Why 2021 was a year of constant upheaval for college football (espn.com)

• Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Why should I, a season ticket holder for 35+ years, donate to a scholarship fund for student athletes that are in position to make more money a year than I do? Maybe those receiving NIL money should have to use that money to pay back the school for the room/board, meals, tuition, medical, etc. Maybe they should pay for their equipment, too. This NIL & transfer portal has already started negatively affecting college football. But they’ve already opened Pandora’s box. I may never send another dime to the school. Definitely going to reconsider.

• Options

The good news is that NIL has nothing to do with the school itself. All that money comes from outside sources.

• Options
    jmarlinjmarlin Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like it... instead of giving a scholarship, the coach just sets up an NIL deal that pays for all expenses and then uses the freed up scholarships to hoard more players or get better practice squad or whatever.

Note that this might mess with title IV too. UGA gives a zillion scholarships to weird female sports (sports are weird, not for weird females) like equestrian or something. If the big male sports aren't using those scholarships, either they cut the girl scholarships (because they have to be even) or maybe they bring back wrestling and other male sports that were cut since title IV.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most of the scholarship athletes are unlikely to see substantial income from NIL. These young men are the core of any program—though they may not be the “stars”. Just sayin’.