Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Now that NIL has consumed the collegiate level…

Comments

• Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t know how that’s good news. I’m not going to send money to support 5* athlete’s education if he’s making money off of an NIL. Too much double dipping going on in this country now just to add to it.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

And I’m sure after our first national championship in 41 years there will be folks lining up to take your place. Not sure why you’re so up in arms about this.

Football and basketball help all other sports. If these players can make some walking around money or help take care of their family while they are in school I don’t see what all the hand wringing is about.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

First, it's not really UGA's fault all of this is happening, so penalizing them by no longer financially supporting them doesn't make sense, IMO.

Secondly, let's say Stetson theoretically makes $100k on deals, you think he should spend a lot of it back by paying for his school/board/meals (not to mention taxes he has to pay)? I mean he, along with many others, helped win a natty that will generate an ungodly amount of revenue for UGA for years to come. If what you propose ever happened at UGA, I hope you all truly enjoy this championship, as it will be the last winning season you ever witness from the Dawgs.

Lastly, 2019-2020 fiscal year - UGA football generated $134,463,859 – Expenses $48,501,193 (and this is a down year with covid restricting home game attendance/revenue). You don't think there's some wiggle room for players to make some money? Most of these players are probably going to make the amount of money they would if they could have a part-time job. Do you know these athletes leave their dorm rooms around 6 AM and get back around 10 PM (weightlifting/training, classes, study hall, practice, film room, team meetings, position meetings, etc.)? Guess they need to work the nightshift to earn some money. Only a very select few will make Bryce Young and Travis Hunter type money. So, it's 98% positive, let's not ruin it for the players that need a few extra bucks, all because a few are making bank.

• Options

These athletes help more than just sports, they get new academic buildings built, academic scholarships, dorms, etc. UGA football/athletics gives millions every year back to the school to use for non-athletic endeavors. Does everyone know what winning a National Championship does for enrollment? It's been proven that there is an uptick in demand for the school and enrollment, allowing the school to profit even more off great football teams.

• Options

Nope, there won’t be lines of fans to take my place once they see how much is asked to be donated BEFORE you’re even offered to PURCHASE season tickets. It’s pretty expensive and not for your Walmart fan.

• Options

Wow. Good to know what you think of the fanbase. Entitled much?

• Options

No more entitled than anyone else but I have paid my dues, and of course by my choice. I never stopped donating even during the rough times in the 90’s. Just saying I foresee the NIL & transfer portal to be detrimental to the sports they’re associated with. What draws fans to college sports, football especially, is seeing the athletes play for the LOVE of the game and to use it to earn an education when they don’t make it professionally. And if they happen to be in the VERY small percentage that makes it to the professional level, it’s because they received the best training (facilities & coaches) to do so. And this was/has been provided by donors. Now, the college has become a minor league system to the NFL for football. It all looks fine now as UGA is on top. I’ll be interested to see how you would look at it if we were struggling like South Carolina or Georgia Tech. Winning cures/hides a lot but only temporarily. Honestly, I hope we never see it as bad as uscjr & tek. But you’d better hold on tight if we do.

• Options

So, it’s ok to get into facility wars and spending top dollar on staff hires, but only provide a very small percentage of the pie in scholarships to players?

Players can love the game AND also like getting paid. They’re not mutually exclusive.

• Options
    DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How many schools can do that ? Very small %. Start a G league and see what happens. Let those that want unlimited access to money have that opportunity. It would dry up quick. I know I wouldn’t watch it. Give me scholarship players plus a little spending money capped with no booster influence. Maybe true nil but not blanket pay for play.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everyone should have the right to own their name, image, and likeness including college athletes, so getting rid of NIL is a non-starter for most people that appreciate freedom and liberty. Currently, NIL rules are allowing boosters to essentially guarantee a certain amount of money for top athletes during the recruitment process. We can all thank the NCAA for this who fought it for decades even as public opinion had changed against them, but this also only affects a tiny fraction college athletes. For most athletes it works the way we had probably envisioned which is you get famous locally and do some local ads and events or have a social media presence which you can now monetize. NCAA can tailor rules to stop the pseudo contracts given to these top players and schools can help teach these kids how to manage large sums of money at a young age. I haven't really seen a change in quality of play, and I'll continue to support whoever UGA puts on the field. NIL hasn't been the downfall of college athletics that some predicted.

• Options
    edited February 2022

Yeah I said there should be changes to address the 0.00000001% of cases where 5-stars are getting contracts essentially

• Options

I’m not seeing anyone up in arms about the few college women making a ton of money off it. I wonder why…

• Options

Yeah I have no idea why people don't get mad at the attractive women. When NIL got put into place a lot of Women's sports advocates got really excited because it was going to be a bigger net benefit for women than men because of this

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Or... should the NCAA have the freedom to run their completely voluntary and successful league as they see fit? They seemed to be doing alright before outsiders came in and forced their hand. It's a heck of a paradox. I lean on the side that has been proven. And that thousands benefited from.

Y'all might not like what PlayHurt is saying, but he's right. We are sliding support away from the school and alumni. Will the school and alumni move their support elsewhere too? I predict they will. And I think that's unfortunate. But worse... preventable.

• Options

Aren’t the player athletes not considered alumni? Being compensated for what they are worth? Who’s to say how much they are worth?

Why should college sports be compelled to play by the rules of communism? Why does no one get so up in arms about young golf pros or young tennis pros? Why is it a problem when football and basketball players…whose contributions on the field make sure college sports lee happing…want some walking around money?

• Options

I mean their business model was "we don't pay our workers". The SCOTUS ruled 9-0 against them in a different case they could no longer use a business model centered on not paying their workers. And NIL isn't even about the NCAA or schools paying them. The NCAA was saying that these kids couldn't even own their identity. 1984 stuff right there

• Options

Only a small % can enter the facility wars and hire top notch ($$$) staffs too. Should we have told schools spending big bucks on these things pre-NIL to create a G-league? Or told them they’re capped in how much they can spend on facilities and staff? Why are only the players capped in this situation?

• Options

The high school players haven’t earned anything except a scholarship. Regardless of how much they played in middle school and high school. It is simply boosters buying rankings. If Travis hunter held an autograph signing day in his home town and charged $50 or $100 no one would show up. Same would be for the next 100 on the list. This is not NIL. Give them a full scholarship and some spending money and maybe some incentive to graduate or stay 3 years. And keep everyone on the same level or this will get out of control. This was just the first full year of it.

• Options

Do away with the 3 year rule and let them go pro. I’m ok with that. See how much they would be worth then. High schoolers haven’t earned anything other than getting bought for their arbitrary ranking by FOMO boosters