Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC legend Tim Tebow: Georgia needs ‘elite quarterback play to get over the hump’

13»

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

@BubbaBill....I think we're misunderstanding each other but to your question about Stet...

Let's throw out all the stats you keep quoting, because ultimately it is whether or not you win or lose that matters. I don't think Stet is a bad QB, but he has limitations on his ability and skills, and our offense is limited on the play calling. The bottom line is he lost Saturday. And we all know the winning National Champion QBs over the last 5 years are elite and much better than Stet. I seriously do not think we can win a National Championship with Stetson Bennett at QB. QB is King in college football today.

Why couldn't Stet and the offense score enough points Saturday to beat Bama? He doesn't have the skills. Stet is the leader, but he couldn't get it done and this isn't the first time he's gotten smoked against Bama. We couldn't convert on multiple 3rd and 4th downs late in the game. Why have we always struggled on 3rd down completions this season? We were 3/12 on 3rd downs Saturday.

You can't convince me that Stetson Bennett can win a game against the better opponents. He has never beaten a really good team.

Who was our QB when we beat Cincinnati and Clemson? JT Daniels. Those two teams are the two best teams we've played and won during the last 2 seasons.

Fans are frustrated because JT Daniels has more skills, ability, and upside than Stet. Now, that doesn't mean JT doesn't throw interceptions or make mistakes. He does. And I was never sold on all the JT Daniels hype. But I DO think he is a better QB than Stet. Why not play him? Kirby has hardly given Daniels any playing time. That's why fans are so frustrated. It's nothing personal against Bennett.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Montana,

So you believe Stetson “doesn’t have the skills to win”. That may be true, but the point you’re missing is you MUST say the same for Tua, Justin and Trevor because they literally did NO BETTER in the big games than Stetson in stats and the final scores….and that’s what you are basing your assumption on. No better, not even slightly better. I get that they lost and so did Stetson, but my entire point is that the Heisman QB winners and nominees over the past 3 years were no better than Stetson Bennett in their championship games. So I ask you a very simple question, “why DIDN’T Tua, Justin and Trevor have the skills to win or even make the games more competitive than Stetson”? It’s all because they gave 100% effort and their respective teams let them down….just like our team let Stetson down, but he is unfairly branded as the goat.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

@BubbaBill...I stand by my belief. You're basing your argument on statistics of one game. Those QBs you mention were good enough to win National Championships at some point in their college career and also a couple won the Heisman trophies. Are you trying to compare Stet with any of them? That's absurd!!

Mac Jones didn't win the Heisman last year, but he scorched the Dawgs last season, and he led Bama to the Title. Stetson got demolished in the Bama game last season.

2019 - Heisman winner Joe Burrows lights up the Dawgs and LSU destroyed us. LSU goes on to win the Natty.

Do you think Stet is better than either of those QBs? He's not even on the same level.

Your argument is silly.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

I think we are just misunderstanding each other. I’m not saying Stetson is in the same class with any of those great QBs. I’m just giving multiple examples of Heisman level QBs in the past 3 NC games who performed no better than Bennett. It’s definitely a “team” sport so we shouldn’t blame one specific player for losses. That’s all I’m saying and I sincerely believe Stetson gave us 100% effort just like Tua, Jalen and Trevor did in their games. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tebow is correct about the need for a quarterback that plays at the elite level.

Something I did not realize until I read it on the SEC Rant. Alabama may be the only school to have a Heisman winner, Devonta Smith, during his career at Bama to catch touchdown passes from four (4) Heisman finalists (Hurts, Tua, Jones, and Young.

Young only threw 22 passes as a freshman and one touchdown pass, that pass was caught by Smith against Ky.