Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Your Top 5 artist or band from 85’ - 95’

Comments

• AvgJoeAvgJoe Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

GnR - I remember me and my buddy listening to his older brother’s Appetite for Destruction cassette and it blowing our minds. Metallica rocked harder, Motley Crue were wilder, but GnR were better.

Beastie Boys - They made it possible for MTV to play rap/hip hop and introduced the genre to a generation of suburban kids.

Garth - The Dance is one of the best country songs ever plus all of the groomsmen singing Friends in Low Places at my best friends wedding is a memory I’ll cherish forever.

Nirvana - Not really much to say that hasn’t been said. I will add that their music has stood the test of time and if nothing else, they gave a platform to Dave Grohl and that alone is gratitude worthy.

Smashing Pumpkins - They snuck in at the end of this time period, but they put out some phenomenal work. Siamese Dream is still one of my favorite albums and 95’s Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was superb.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m with you, @philipsmith99 ! Just haven’t heard anyone in the same class as the great artists of the late 60’s and the 70’s—which, in my personal experience with youngsters, is why many kids are still listening to those artists today. 😉

• Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you're a Smashing Pumpkin fan you need to checkout Rick Beato's recent interview with Billy Corgan. It's awesome.

• GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was at the Jason and the Scorchers show at The Watt, too.! Sorry for spilling my beer on your shoe! They were amazing, freaking pros and maybe the loudest band I ever heard there.

Saw the 10k Maniacs there, as well. Natalie Merchant is one strange, twirling bird (put black electrical tape over both eyes at one point then stared at a small glass prism she held on a string as she and it spun round and round on the stage.

Other good bands of the era - and Legion shows - were The English Beat and P Furs. The Mats at Stitchcraft. Everything their shows were supposed to be; drunk Tommy, angry Bob and a screaming, slurring Paul - it was awesome.

Fun/OT fact for all the Soundgarden fans (I’m one and still hurt at the loss of Chris Cornell). Producer of “Superunknown” and multiple other albums (STP, Dylan to name a couple) was Brendan O’Brien. He grew up in Tucker in the 70’s, played guitar in a Zeppelin cover band called, “Pranks” we’d go see at all the local HS’s. Hearing him play “Rock n’ Roll” was like listening to a sober Jimmy Page. He’s probably a better guitarist than the people he produced; one of the best you’ve never heard of as a player.

• WebslingrWebslingr Posts: 184 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thanx much Michael. I've seen some of Beato's vids in the past...like his channel...looks like this vid just dropped:)

As an aside, I just missed the last Pumpkins tour...with Jane's Addiction opening. I'm living in Oregon right now and we had tix for the Portland show last month. We liv in the Rogue Valley...close to the OR/CA border...bout a 5 hr drive to Portland. The show was on Sunday eve...so we figured we'll do a 3-day weekend...left the house on Friday...spent the first day in Eugene with some friends, then drove up to Portland to stay the weekend with other friends. Had a fun day/night in Portland on Saturday...woke up Sunday morn to a melancoly Text message. Tonight's show canceled...Billy has laryngitis...bummer:( They say will try to re-schedule in the Summer...we'll see.

edited December 2022

I haven't been that far south in Oregon (Bend is the farthest south I've been), but I love that state for its beauty.

• WebslingrWebslingr Posts: 184 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Cool beans Michael. Was that a ski trip to Bachelor...or maybe fishing the Deschutes ?

My Dad ws born in Bend...I lived there as a toddler...still have some family there. That's my connection to Oregon...Dad's side of the family. Unfortunately, Mom and Dad couldn't get along...so when they split-up, Mom took me to Macon, GA...where I grew up. She was an Air Force brat with family everywhere...had a sister that was living in Macon with a spare room so we had a place to stay. Growing up tho, whenever possible, I would fly out to Oregon for part of the Summer...visit Dad's side. And yeah, it's a beautiful state.

p.s. Mods...sorry so off-topic here:)

edited December 2022

No just visiting lakes and things of that nature. The area outside of Bend is very nice... Bend is pretty cool too.

In July I went to Portland to visit my buddy and his wife and we took a wine tasting trip to Walla Walla Wa. Stopped off in Pendleton Oregon. Now that's a cool town. It's an old Cowboy town, with a large and impressive rodeo facility on the edge of town. Also has kind of an Athens GA vibe to it.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Hemingwey I grew up in the Classic Rock Era. Lucky enough to see LZ in '71 for their Led Zepplin 4 tour (untitled). Opened with the Immigrant Song.

And Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon tour. 1973.

@pgjackson some people consider Black Sabbath and Van Halen as the original heavy metal bands. From the 70's.

But I really like Iron Maiden, especially the Trooper and Hallowed be thy Name. From the 80's.

Some Metallica, especially the Black Album.

• KeithsaxonKeithsaxon Posts: 683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Black Sabbath is the grand daddy of heavy metal. When they released their first album in 1970, there was nothing else like it. A true innovator. It was a completely new sound. It changed everything. Just listen to the first song on that album, "Black Sabbath"...right off the bat it was completely revolutionary. With three simple notes they created a whole new genre of music. Try to find another sound like that before that release. Hendrix had some pretty heavy stuff, so did Cream and Led Zep, but it was nothing like Sabbath's dark, brooding, pounding, gothic sound that defined heavy metal for generations.

BLACK SABBATH - "Black Sabbath" (Official Video) - YouTube

Nobody I knew or know who lived through the era considers Van Halen a Heavy Metal band.

Yeah, they were definitely a hard rock band like Aerosmith, KISS, and ACDC. However, it's kind of a fine line because if you liked traditional metal like Sabbath, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden and the whole metal scene you also tended to like lighter bands like VH, Aeroshith, Rush, Ratt, Motorhead... Lots of crossover. They all often get lumped in together under the banner of Metal. Heavy Metal, Hair Metal, Thrash Metal, Hard Rock....it's all good.

edited December 2022

@pgjackson Black Sabbath. Yet another band I saw during the summer of '71 at Chicago's Auditorium Theater. Amazing venue, great acoustics, with red velvet seats. Couldn't believe they'd hold a hard rock concert in that place. And let people like us into that place. A total smoke fest.

If I recall it correctly, there were some folks that didn't appreciate Black Sabbath. Didn't sit well with some of the fans of the British Invasion period. Groups like LZ, Blind Faith/Cream, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, and others. Clapton,Beck, Page were deemed more advanced musicians.

And disrespected in the movie 200 motels that featured Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.

But that was then. Now, they have the respect as one of the most influential bands in rock history.

And I love the solo work by Osbourne, especially No More Tears and the live performance of Mr. Crowly from '81 you can catch on YouTube.

That must have been incredible seeing a young Black Sabbath. I saw Ozzy in 86 on his Ultimate Sin tour. The guy is phenomenal. BS was so different at the time that a lot of people just didn't understand what was happening. They were truly pioneering new music. They were never considered elite musicians individually, but the music they created literally influenced everything that came after. They are probably the most influential group in rock history.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I didn’t like them at the time, but The Replacements and Hüsker Dü are two of my favorites.