Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

AJC can't stop chasing the ambulance...

Comments

• Options
    ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,259 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Morally?

Not letting families, friends, victims, and supporters grieve in peace without them trying to point out everything that they think was wrong leading up to and following the accident.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the reporting is fine. It's a legitimate concern and something worthy of reporting. Why is the police department so close with the football program/AD's office that a staff member is on-site at the crash right after it happens? That's so fast football staff are likely getting priority over family members, and it definitely raises the possibility of or the appearance that athletes are getting favorable treatment from the police. I don't like it at other schools, and I don't like it at mine either.

• Options

you mean the government right? This reads like something out of 1984

• Options
    ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,259 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

I'm not gonna go troll anyone like usual (except pg that was too good to pass up) because of the sensitive nature of everything, but this type of adversarial reporting against powerful institutions is incredibly important. This is not the type of service the University gives to all students or even all athletes for that matter. Having a high level staffer this quick on the scene before families probably even knew what was going on is highly suspect and is indicative of a cozy relationship between the football program and the police. It also gives the appearance that any investigation might be tainted in an attempt to cover up any information that might be damaging to the program. I'm not saying that's what happened but it's a possibility that will always linger because of this type of relationship existing between police and football/basketball programs. We can't rush to defend everything that happens within the program just because they are our favorite team.

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Could it be possible that Athens PD called Gantt so he could liaison between them, the program, and the families.

I read somewhere a couple of years ago that Gantt also lives in East Athens so it wouldn't take long for him to get to the scene.

• Options

Be serious for a moment, what was that guy gonna do to help the situation that emergency responders couldn’t do? I don’t think the AJC or any news outlet would criticize UGA for not having emergency response personnel at a car crash.

• Options

No idea but this bit of info makes him look like a fixer that is in close with the police

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Think about it, and not from a Monday morning QB perspective, Yale. I don't want to rehash the details, but it was akin to being in combat and watching friends die very graphically. It's incredibly traumatic. Wouldn't you think the survivors reached out for help everywhere they could? I would be surprised if two employees and two players didn't reach out to the team POC for emergencies after the emergency response calls. But, we don't know the details, so why question the integrity of the team and APD before you have the facts?

• Options

Why is he calling the police chief to tell him he's on the way to the site of the crash, and that he needs the officers at the scene to know he's coming? Why does the police chief wake up at 3:15 AM and do exactly what a football staffer is telling him to do? If he's just going to the site to comfort players he doesn't have to alert the police. Incredible that you're gonna talk down to me when you haven't given a single bit of critical thought to any of this.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wasn't "talking down" to you. I was suggesting logical possibilities for why they notified the UGA POCs early on in the crisis. Say whatever you want.

• Options

No one is questioning why players might call staffers or coaches in the program. Its the fact he's calling the police chief to let him know he's on the way to the site and that he needs to alert the responding officers to his presence. Why is that necessary if he's just going there to help the players? That absolutely reeks and calls the details of the crash into question. It's not proof on its own but that is always gonna linger because he decided to insert himself into the situation in that way. Make new standards and procedures, be more transparent, and then move on to winning football games. I love UGA football, but I'm not gonna sit here and excuse this sort of behavior

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Taste has never been high on the AJC's list, and that's coming from a lifelong Atlantan.

WSB for that matter too. They always go for the sensational story...I know every station does it, but WSB TV and Radio have been the worst. Maybe that's why their ratings are consistently higher...

• Options

The mental gymnastics here are insane. The only person who should be dedicated to interacting with law enforcement on employees/players' behalf is a lawyer. Again, why is he calling the police chief at 3:15 am so the responding officers are aware that he will be on-site? What on earth could a football staffer be doing to help law enforcement with a fatal crash?

This discussion has been closed.